Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by filfat, Jun 15, 2014.

1. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    Don't worry about it being slow, everyone has real lives outside of gbatemp, its all in your spare time and unpaid after all, too many people forget that and think that its the one and only thing you do and should spend 24/7 on it.

The minute it feels like work is when you forget why you do it

JVC2, nonamejohn, dojafoja and 2 others like this.
  2. Monado_III

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    I think a new update was just released for the Wii U. Luckily my internet was crappy so it failed to download, can someone check if it's safe? (btw I was already on 5.3.2.)

3. yahoo

yahoo G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ

Aug 4, 2014
    United States

What exactly needs to be backported? The webkit exploit that Comex used on 3.x has already been leaked [https://www.mediafire.com/?dgtm8ue4o89j9fr] This is the ArrayBufferView overflow bug that Comex talks about in his CCC presentation, which he used to dump CafeOS and develop his IOSU exploit to get the common key.

Margen67 and Zedd91 like this.
  4. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Don't ask me, probably just for compatibility's sake, because then ours will work on 3.X through 5.1.0.

yahoo likes this.
  5. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    To be honest, I can't wait. The reason is game modding.
    Think about it. NEWER SUPER MARIO BROS. U!!!!!!! by Newerteam!!!

Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii by Newerteam is the best there is on the Wii.
    Amazing!! :D
    I hope game modding will be available for digital games.

6. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    im guessing hykem is receiving it today or he already got it yesterday? :) second question i was wondering if we would see a video of the kernel exploit in action? no worrys if not though as im sure you guys are busy enough

CosmoCortney likes this.
  7. NWPlayer123

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    I was going to record one once I got my hands on Caffiine, because otherwise it's not that exciting, you just go to a url, browser exits, do it again, and then go to whatever program you want.

VinsCool, Margen67, nonameboy and 3 others like this.
  8. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney Chemtrail Pilot

Apr 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    on the cool side of the pillow

still exciting for me :P

9. nonamejohn

nonamejohn GBAtemp Regular

Jul 23, 2014
    United States
    I can't wait for you to demonstrate. Hopefully you add some great music like Gateway does ! LOL!

Margen67 and jammybudga777 like this.
  10. yahoo

yahoo G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ

Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    Ah. That makes sense. One browser exploit to rule them all!

Margen67 likes this.
  11. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Makes sense as the kernel exploit basically applies to all versions right? As it has not been patched yet. Once it is released and Nintendo runs the exploit(s) with full access to their hardware/software then a patch will be released. It will end up being a cat and mouse if people want to keep online functionality. A great thing is that it does not require anything beind installed. So, people SHOULD be able to run legitimate games online without risk of being banned, right? If Nintendo does not monitor though (online) we could see some serious bullcrap in MK8, lol. Infinite golden mushroom ;-) If that is possible. I told my wife and she was relieved. When the 360 had issues I hardware flashed it back to life. The first Wii was bricked (was one that had the GameCube controller ports built in). Dumb mistake on my past AND the program I had used. I was able to secure another Wii for free, basically, roflmao, and was golden after that. Unless there is security that we are not being told about then the brick risk with this SHOULD be nonexistent with the userspace/kernel exploits.

I'd imagine that the IOSU exploit(s) will carry a risk of bricking. I am still very confused as to how Comex "called a function" and it bricked his Wii U (could not be recovered, right?). That is the type of crap that had me looking for a guide from somebody reliable to hardware flash a Wii U. The ultimate protection as there is probably never going to be a "bootmii" or "priiloader." Oh well, others can test the waters first, lol.

12. cornerpath

cornerpath GBAtemp Fan

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    Jackson, Ms

AS for patching they could just wait to release it when a "Freeboot" like feature is ready to work with the exploit? Well never mind they have to wait to release the exploit because they can make the freeboot when its ready

Like the old wii used to do when the new update came out modded wii can update to the kernel without losing/bricking the modded wii u
    This is similar to JTAGS and PS3 as well

13. neobrain

neobrain -

Apr 25, 2014
    I don't know the details, but he called somethine called CreateTitle, i.e. a function which performs permanent modifications on the NAND. I suppose the system software has protection against creating random titles, hence why the console didn't boot anymore. As long as you don't call functions which modify anything on your NAND, you should be safe.

Other than that, stuff like bootmii obviously always has a risk of bricking if it's doing something wrong :P

Ray Lewis likes this.
  14. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Thanks for that. Haha, if there was a way to recover a nand via hardware flashing I guess people could poke around. No real reason to do so now though given the scope of the hack (what we are being told).

15. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Same here, looking forward to the expoit video!

Also, is it possible to inject DS games into the Brain Training VC with the exploit like the 3DS Game Boy VC does? Or can it do even more like installing VCs, Homebrew Channel U or whatever the name will be for Wii U Homebrew Channel XD

(I'm on 5.3.2E btw.)

Margen67 likes this.
  16. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    HomebrU channel? :D

Margen67 and Mr. Mysterio like this.
  17. NWPlayer123

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Would have to finish another Webkit exploit to see how the files work. I'm pretty sure they hand converted the game instead of just slapping a DS game in an emulator, hence having a new layout. Also, until a loader exploit is made nothing is installable. Neither kernel nor IOSU alone can do that.

Ray Lewis likes this.
  18. KungFuzion

KungFuzion GBAtemp Fan

Feb 5, 2015
    Is there a loader being worked on yet?

Margen67 and Zedd91 like this.
  19. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    No, not for a very long time. Clever name though, I like it