Hardware Wii U GameCube Adapter is Only Usable for Super Smash Bros.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it really a surprise that this adapter isn't going to work on a vWii? I mean, it's not like the IOSs are programmed to interface with it. Most of the non-system menu ones don't even support USB 2.0 I thought (only like IOS 58). Every single one would have to be updated to be able to support GC controllers via this adapter.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming it uses HID...
It doesn't have to use HID for Nintendont to be able to have support for it. HID is a very common and very open standard, thus it made sense to put the time into supporting it in Nintendont. Xinput is a proprietary standard that is pretty much just for 360 controllers, so it's not really worth trying to add in support for it when the more widespread HID is already supported. This adaptor, however, even if it doesn't conform to the HID standard, would be more enticing device to support as it will be a fairly common peripheral among Wii U owners--especially those who wish to play gamecube games--that supports four original gamecube controllers.
Even if the Nintendont developers do not choose to support it, I bet you someone (maybe me if I can find the time in the future) will look into making an HID adaptor for it if, for nothing else, to get it to work for Dolphin.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo's been difficult to read lately.

First they say that New Super Mario Bros. U is 1080p, then go back on it.
Then they say that Luigi's Mansion 2 has multiplayer, then go back on it, then go back on that.
Then they say that Hyrule Warriors has online multiplayer, then go back on it.
Then they say that your Smash Bros. Demo gold transfers over to the full game, then go back on it.
Now they say that the GameCube adapter works as a Classic Controller for all Wii/Wii U software, then go back on it.

Whoever they're employing to write the official product descriptions online seriously needs to be fired.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nintendo's been difficult to read lately.

First they say that New Super Mario Bros. U is 1080p, then go back on it.
Then they say that Luigi's Mansion 2 has multiplayer, then go back on it, then go back on that.
Then they say that Hyrule Warriors has online multiplayer, then go back on it.
Then they say that your Smash Bros. Demo gold transfers over to the full game, then go back on it.
Now they say that the GameCube adapter works as a Classic Controller for all Wii/Wii U software, then go back on it.

Whoever they're employing to write the official product descriptions online seriously needs to be fired.

Also add to that list as to why the fuck Captain Toad got his own game, I bet it's gonna sell like shit, as is the case with most Wii U games anyway.

While I hate Nintendo for their bullshit I still love them for the exclusives they've been releasing along the years (Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kart, Metroid, F-Zero, Pikmin, etc).

SoupaFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't the fact that this adapter cannot officially be used in vWii mode make future Virtual Console Gamecube titles seem all-the-more likely now?

Why let us play gamecube games (with an actual Gamecube controller) through usb / regular sized DVD-R disks on our WiiUs when Nintendo could make us buy those same games again (to be played again with official Gamecube controllers)?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So, it also won't work with the original Wii?
Since my old GameCube-Controller is more than ten years old, I really need a new one.

Nintendo will have to release a new firmware upgrade to patch Super Smash Bros. to be able to recognise the adapter, but as far as the new NGC controller goes, it's the same as the original except it has the Smash logo.

Demand for NGC stuff is going to increase yet again (buying NGC games in Europe/UK are quite pricey nowadays so I'm glad I bought them last year).

LegendaryFighter

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cool, that sounds great. This new GameCube-Controller also has one additional shoulder-button (is it called so?), but obviously that doesn't matter.

And from my point of view it isn't that expensive; 20/30€ is even less than I paid in the past. So that's OK.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Cool, that sounds great. This new GameCube-Controller also has one additional shoulder-button (is it called so?), but obviously that doesn't matter.

And from my point of view it isn't that expensive; 20/30€ is even less than I paid in the past. So that's OK.

Ah, you're thinking of the NGC controller that plugs to the Wiimote, this one uses the original layout without any newer additions.

I prefer wired not only because there isn't latency but because it's always connected and no recharging is necessary.

LegendaryFighter

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How many new GC-Controller are there going to be? I want to buy a wired one that can be connected to the Wii (or even the GC) in order to replace my ten year old GC-Controller.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ninty is lying more than m$ these days :P

Nah, that's actually impossible to achieve.

It doesn't have to use HID for Nintendont to be able to have support for it. HID is a very common and very open standard, thus it made sense to put the time into supporting it in Nintendont. Xinput is a proprietary standard that is pretty much just for 360 controllers, so it's not really worth trying to add in support for it when the more widespread HID is already supported. This adaptor, however, even if it doesn't conform to the HID standard, would be more enticing device to support as it will be a fairly common peripheral among Wii U owners--especially those who wish to play gamecube games--that supports four original gamecube controllers.

Even if the Nintendont developers do not choose to support it, I bet you someone (maybe me if I can find the time in the future) will look into making an HID adaptor for it if, for nothing else, to get it to work for Dolphin.

What guarantee do we have that it would ever work for this app, because from the looks of it, it only works on one Wii U game, Smash Bros. which to me, is a waste of 20 dollars.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo will have to release a new firmware upgrade to patch Super Smash Bros. to be able to recognise the adapter.
If they could do that, the Smash Stack exploit wouldn't have worked on a vWii. So...

The IOS the game runs on definitely has to be updated for the adapter to be recognized. It may be possible that there won't have to be game-specific patches if the IOS were to make the controller read info sent to the games act exactly as if a GC controller on a Wii sent them. But considering how many different IOSs are used for games, adding support is unlikely. Though, they should probably do IOS 36 because it has many popular games that support a GC controller like Brawl and MK Wii.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What guarantee do we have that it would ever work for this app, because from the looks of it, it only works on one Wii U game, Smash Bros. which to me, is a waste of 20 dollars.
There's no guarantee. I'm just pointing out that if it is not HID, it is not the end of the world.
If they could do that, the Smash Stack exploit wouldn't have worked on a vWii. So...

The IOS the game runs on definitely has to be updated for the adapter to be recognized. It may be possible that there won't have to be game-specific patches if the IOS were to make the controller read info sent to the games act exactly as if a GC controller on a Wii sent them. But considering how many different IOSs are used for games, adding support is unlikely. Though, they should probably do IOS 36 because it has many popular games that support a GC controller like Brawl and MK Wii.
I assume he was talking about the new Smash Bros, not Brawl.

D

Deleted User

If the Pro Controller had analogue triggers and the right analogue stick on the bottom right, then people wouldn't be asking for the NGC controller again but nope, the Pro Controller doesn't have what it takes to be as the definitive so Nintendo's bringing back their number one controller back again to the market (it's missing the shoulder button on the left but considering that Nintendo games usually don't use too many buttons it shouldn't be an issue overall).
But the pro controller is infinitely better than the GC controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.