Hardware Wii U GameCube Adapter is Only Usable for Super Smash Bros.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No thanks. It is only usuable for super smash bros and not anything else ? Nah. Forget it, Nintendo. Do not want to waste my money just for this game.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii OS does not support USB controllers. Moreover every game has own bluetooth stack inside and controller support.
Wii Classic Pro has more buttons.

That doesn't matter as the Wii OS is running under a hypervisor and thus as long as the Wii U OS supports it all it would take is a bit extra code and it will work in Wii mode. The Gamecube doesn't support PS3 controllers or Clasic controllers either yet they both work in Nintendon't.

Of course, given that Nintendo can't even write a decent GBA emulator for the Wii U (the GBA virtual console games are done by M2, not Nintendo) having GC adapter or even Wii U gamepad support in Wii mode is unlikely.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People expect Wii U games already released to magically be retrofitted to work with this?
See, this is the problem with Nintendo's customers - they didn't get the memo about patches yet. :tpi:

That, and controller I/O should be controlled by the OS anyways, not the game. For all intents and purposes, the game should only get information regarding input, not what kind of a controller is sending it.

Reactions: Thomas83Lin

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
That's even better - it's wireless. :)

While I have the official recharagable batteries for my 360's controller I just plugged the cable to it and so it never needs to be recharged and boots up the console instantly, plus the controller's always on.

For myself, I prefer wired controllers over wireless. Wireless aren't that bad if you don't mind recharging every couple of days.

People expect Wii U games already released to magically be retrofitted to work with this?​

No, they'd release a new firmware upgrade to make the controller usable for the games.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You would think that a device like this would be an excellent opportunity to have a firmware upgrade that actually does something USEFUL (no, adding folders to a main menu isn't my idea of a useful firmware upgrade). But why the damn thing doesn't emulate the wiiu pro controller (except wired) is beyond me. How many times is nintendo going to reinvent their own wheel? :unsure:

Reactions: Jayro

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GameCube controller was awful... the N64 one was their best so far. The GameCube controller was made for small child hands, not large adult hands like mine. Not to mention the STUPID A, B, X, Y layout, and those god-awful "analog" shoulder buttons... You guys are praising up the wrong tree, seriously. Nintendo's Pro controller is 10 times better than this hunk of junk.

attachment.php

Reactions: EMP Knightmare

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, this is the problem with Nintendo's customers - they didn't get the memo about patches yet. :tpi:

That, and controller I/O should be controlled by the OS anyways, not the game. For all intents and purposes, the game should only get information regarding input, not what kind of a controller is sending it.

So in other words, not all is lost, but that in its default state, or at first, not many will be supported but that in theory, games can be patched.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The GameCube controller was awful... the N64 one was their best so far. The GameCube controller was made for small child hands, not large adult hands like mine. Not to mention the STUPID A, B, X, Y layout, and those god-awful "analog" shoulder buttons... You guys are praising up the wrong tree, seriously. Nintendo's Pro controller is 10 times better than this hunk of junk.
I kind of agree (not with the N64 controller comment mind), it is uncomfortably small for most games... however, as it's been made specifically with Smash Bros in mind, it'll be interesting to see how the Pro controller fares against it: I'm a huge fan of the Classic Controller but for Brawl (only) it paled in comparison to the GC pad.. As such I don't give a flying bollock about the news, but as certain versions of the game are coming with one of these packed in, I'll probably still get it.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

You mean that stupid ass Wii U Pro Controller that has an analogue stick on the top right and digital triggers? Haha, better.. yeah right.

If NGC were a child's controller then they wouldn't use it at the EVO tournament, nor for the Wii or even bring back for the Wii U. It's Nintendo's best controller to date.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You mean that stupid ass Wii U Pro Controller that has an analogue stick on the top right and digital triggers? Haha, better.. yeah right.

If NGC were a child's controller then they wouldn't use it at the EVO tournament, nor for the Wii or even bring back for the Wii U. It's Nintendo's best controller to date.

You're a joke, get out.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You had me at

The GameCube controller was awful...

but lost me completely with

the N64 one was their best so far.

Actually I wouldn't say the GC controller was awful, just not particularly good. Incredibly overrated, but nowhere near the worst controller ever. Or even from it's gen (Xbox duke, anyone?)

The GameCube controller was made for small child hands, not large adult hands like mine. Not to mention the STUPID A, B, X, Y layout, and those god-awful "analog" shoulder buttons... You guys are praising up the wrong tree, seriously. Nintendo's Pro controller is 10 times better than this hunk of junk.

The WiiU Pro controller is only deficient in a few small areas, mainly lack of analog triggers. I can see people not liking the analog sticks both being on top, too, but it's comfortable as hell, and easily the best feeling controller I've held in ages. And that battery makes the Energizer bunny jealous with how long it keeps going, and going, and going

I can see why people would want a wired GC controller to reduce lag, but then you have the crazy people that want to plug a damned wavebird into the thing, completely rendering it nonsensical.

I'm confused by the wording, "Works with 'Wii U & Smash Bros. for Wii U specifically', Smash Bros AND Wii U. Why the "And"? If there's an and, that means it's not Brawl only. And with the part where it says "doesn't work with Wii" there's no mention of vWii mode. So if it says Wii U AND Smash Bros., what does this mean?

You are reading way too much into that. Why the and? Because it only works with that combination of items. It only works on a Wii U and only with the game "Smash Bros For Wii U". There's no mention of vWii mode because to Nintendo's perspective it's no different than an actual Wii.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I point out its flaws and that's what you come up with? Typical fanboy without anything else to say.

The N64 controller is also one of Nintendo's worst controller's with their weird design but thankfully they've never brought that shit back.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that Nintendo is trying to say that the GC controller adapter is not compatible with current software. I don't see no reason why it wouldn't be compatible with future software releases and also updates to past software releases. It would be stupid on their part to release a controller and controller adapter for only one game when it could be used for more than that.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
does the adapter really works with vWII mode and games?

its not a big surprise it doesn't support current wii u games... but if smash brothers will be the only game which will support the adapter. i dont understand why nintendo creates junk like that...

Reactions: stomp_442
D

Deleted User

I do not understand the fascination with the GC controller it was great for the time, but the Pro Controller is much better.

Move on people.

Reactions: Jayro

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
This is surprising to people? WiiU games weren't made with it in mind and vWii isn't supposed to have Gamecube support so there's no point in making it work there too.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is surprising to people? WiiU games weren't made with it in mind and vWii isn't supposed to have Gamecube support so there's no point in making it work there too.

So this means Nintendont will likely be unable to work with it. This would be a boon for vWii mode users would it not?

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
So this means Nintendont will likely be unable to work with it. This would be a boon for vWii mode users would it not?

There's no reason to shell out money for this adapter when there's already gamecube USB and classic controller adapters that work with nintendont

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte