Homebrew Wii U Firmware Update 5.5.5 released

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U gets a firmware update, almost 3 years after the previous one for us in USA will this breal my HACK>?
EyFgv_sb.jpg

Ver. 5.5.5 U (March 1st, 2021)

Improvements to system stability and usability

• Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
Technically, the previous firmware was 5.5.4. Apparently released specifically to Europe, it was released for GDPR compliance in 2019. But for most people, 5.5.3 was the last “relevant” update, and that was in 2018, almost 3 years ago.

https://wololo.net/2021/03/02/wii-u-gets-a-firmware-update-almost-3-years-after-the-previous-one/

3DSBricker

Not So Daily Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, I see. Strange. Someone said this about the Ylws8 bot which mentioned the update:

[Wii U] Wii U firmware version 5.5.5 has been released for all regions. Official patch notes state “stability” as the sole change. Looking at
Ylws8bot’s automatic change detector report, it appears a core OS component (OSv10) was updated. Waiting for more details.

Edit: more information:

Firmware 5.5.5 doesn't fix anything related to homebrew. However, it does appear that some of N's SSL verification code was changed. (SSL allows a device to makes secure + verified connections to remote servers. It's what powers the "padlock" icon in your browser.)

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hmm, I see. Strange. Someone said this about the Ylws8 bot which mentioned the update:

[Wii U] Wii U firmware version 5.5.5 has been released for all regions. Official patch notes state “stability” as the sole change. Looking at
Ylws8bot’s automatic change detector report, it appears a core OS component (OSv10) was updated. Waiting for more details.

Edit: more information:

Firmware 5.5.5 doesn't fix anything related to homebrew. However, it does appear that some of N's SSL verification code was changed. (SSL allows a device to makes secure + verified connections to remote servers. It's what powers the "padlock" icon in your browser.)

Confirm Coldboot Haxchi is still working.
From what I checked at the Moment,the Wii U seems fine after the Update.:)

But maybe updating from a lower Version then 5.5.3x can maybe have "Issues"...:(

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So the only thing that changed is OSv10 and at the moment, it seems only the SSL verification. I read some other websites too. It makes me both laugh and sad to read what they said:

"It looks like there had been certain stability issues arising over the last few years, something which Nintendo has stepped in to fix. This is great news for the one person still playing their Wii U!"

Sure, stability issues. Like they always do. Wouldn't surprise me if they did fix some things.

Vanya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got woken up from a dead sleep by my fiancé because she turned one my Wii U and it started doing a system update. As of yesterday I hadn't heard anything about it being safe or not so I came running and unplugged it.

Since I'm not sure exactly what firmware I was on when I installed my CBHC, I'll wait for more confirmation.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: it's safe
I just got woken up from a dead sleep by my fiancé because she turned one my Wii U and it started doing a system update. As of yesterday I hadn't heard anything about it being safe or not so I came running and unplugged it.

Since I'm not sure exactly what firmware I was on when I installed my CBHC, I'll wait for more confirmation.
I'm on CBHC as well.. But..
I borrowed mine out... But as far as we know it safe I have been checking Reddit.. Twitter. Gbatemp.net.. So far no problems for anyone at all...
https://gbatemp.net/threads/theres-a-new-system-update-for-the-wii-u-for-version-5-5-5u.584008/
I trust everyone on Gbatemp.net... Where as Reddit can be Toxic...

Last edited by SuperDan,

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can upgrade directly afaik. CBHC just changes the default start-up menu from the Home menu to the DS game. So if it restarts, it starts the DS game and with that, CBHC. Do make sure the account still works and not something like password changed or account disabled, console format. Tl;Dr, It's safe.

taterjoe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello i'm new to the Wii U modding community but I modded and installed Haxchi and not cold boot just regular haxhi on version 5.5.4 will it be ok if I update to version 5.5.5 or should I wait.

Reactions: SuperDan

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm still on 5.5.1 and using the DS game exploit to reboot into custom firmware (Mocha, I think...) If I wanted to update to 5.5.5, I don't even know where to begin updating what first. I'd imagine the CFW first, then OFW?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still on 5.5.1 and using the DS game exploit to reboot into custom firmware (Mocha, I think...) If I wanted to update to 5.5.5, I don't even know where to begin updating what first. I'd imagine the CFW first, then OFW?

I don't think mocha, haxchi, or cbhc have been updated in years. just update ofw, and cfw should still work.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think mocha, haxchi, or cbhc have been updated in years. just update ofw, and cfw should still work.
Second question... Is there any REASON to update to 5.5.5 from 5.5.1, other than "stability" and blocking exploits? :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: