Hacking Wii U eMMC (nand) read/write? Read before flaming:-)

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will present the links for the information. The 3DS can upgrade/downgrade right now. Why would this help?

1.) Returning to an earlier firmware/dash will allow exploits to essentially be permanent.
2.) This gives the ability to recover if/when the Wii U is being "played with."
3.) If there are hacks involving the read "nand" then this may be of use. As it is, 3ds publicly
cannot have the nand reads MODIFIED. Future advancements may allow for modifications to be made.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/
--Must have an older nand dump (currently) to downgrade which is why getting backups NOW may be of use.

http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/EMMC_NAND
--Officially here on wiiubrew, lol

http://www.ps3hax.net/2013/02/super-slim-components-and-test-points/
--First I heard of this from deadlyfoez

http://gbatemp.net/threads/shadow-lags-wiiu-hacking-and-development-thread.351575/
--First post with technical information was removed due to flaming

First rule of anything; have a way out. This type of work gives that and would allow people to recover on Wii U side. I don't want to misquote anyone BUT I heard the vWii nand can be recovered with infectus. Having a way to recover that would be GREAT as well. Being able to recover from anything would open it up for people to play around. Obviously those "in the know" can recover and likely have this covered. Has anyone else done this? Would anyone want to show their results (pics would be great) here? If this gets ignored then so be it.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unknown. There was the Wiiubrew post as well as the others. Did you read 3ds thread? The good stuff on ps3hax are the pictures and diagrams in the last few posts. I hope somebody has heard of and/or tried it. Maybe we will find out soon.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done 3DS Nand stuff and may just give this ago. though risky
I remember seeing you in those 3ds threads:-) Thanks for the reply and hopefully people may start trying and sharing results. This could even include pics and guides that are easy to follow. If you do try this, I would love to see pictures of the soldering approach you take and the results using the software (type of) tools like in the 3ds thread.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He had some pictures but did not show all documents. He posted a jacked picture with damage. He said a "spring loaded" device broke off parts. People questioned him and his reputation. He mentioned dual nand and an idea to decrypt the nand. I defended him and even sent a few pm(s). I wanted to believe him but the pictures were very suspect. Damage that an amateur would do. No offense, accidents happen, anyone who solders knows this.

I was excited and supportive but he disappeared. He posted on one of the linux threads about speaking to the right people and having documents for tri core linux. Knowing what is needed and how to do it. Find post, I am paraphrasing. Reading like 3ds seems like it can be done with info I posted. Anyway, no serious info or shares yet:-(

Reactions: Margen67

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
people dont like having things pointed out by the small guys i.e me and you so if we had something sensible to say its never really looked into. but i hope somebody has a snoop about with it

Reactions: Ray Lewis

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
People have no interest at the moment to backup the eMMC as they have no purpose for it at the moment.
This situation will only change if a wiiu exploit might become available and if a firmware update might patch that exploit.
While it might be perfectly possible to dump the eMMC the hardware way, it's still unknown if restoring such a dump works as method for downgrading the firmware again.
At this stage, nobody is willing to risk his wiiu by testing this out.
Besides that, a method to decrypt such a nand dump is not available yet to the grand public. Team f0f likely has it, same as only they know a wiiu exploit.

The situation for 3ds is different. The Gateway cards need an older firmware version to function, and 2 get homebrew going, you need a pre 4.5 firmware as well.
Having a backup of the eMMC with older firmware has it's purpose there. Before you all start asking questions, no, homebrew on 3ds isn't public either.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
People have no interest at the moment to backup the eMMC as they have no purpose for it at the moment.
This situation will only change if a wiiu exploit might become available and if a firmware update might patch that exploit.
While it might be perfectly possible to dump the eMMC the hardware way, it's still unknown if restoring such a dump works as method for downgrading the firmware again.
At this stage, nobody is willing to risk his wiiu by testing this out.
Besides that, a method to decrypt such a nand dump is not available yet to the grand public. Team f0f likely has it, same as only they know a wiiu exploit.

The situation for 3ds is different. The Gateway cards need an older firmware version to function, and 2 get homebrew going, you need a pre 4.5 firmware as well.
Having a backup of the eMMC with older firmware has it's purpose there. Before you all start asking questions, no, homebrew on 3ds isn't public either.

okay i understand what your sayin. but wouldnt it still be wise to grab a clone/copy of the wii u emmc nand now while its still on early software?? (even tho theres is no means or use for it yet) regardless of that. it would still mean having an early back up.

Reactions: Margen67

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The wiiu eMMC contents can only be backupped by connecting some wires to it at the moment. For this, you need to open your wiiu and that will void it's warranty.
As long as new firmwares don't fix the exploit, there isn't much harm in installing them on your wiiu. I hope team f0f will warn us if an update comes out that patches the exploit so that we know it's time to take a backup of our older one. Current firmware updates still add new interesting features like wii play on the gamepad, so most people probably will install them. What's the point in finding another exploit in the older firmware if everybody moved on to a newer version. The only exceptions are if such could lead to the discovery of other exploits that still exist in the newer firmwares as well.
Very few are talented enough for such firmware dissection. (I am not either....)

As long as the existing exploit isn't made public, we can only hope that Ninty doesn't know it's details.
Without those, they likely won't bring out a new firmware that patches it.
So, do you need a backup?
Only if you intend to enter the hall of fame and try to restore it with the purpose to prove that downgrading is possible.
Don't blame me if you fubar your wiiu.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
The wiiu eMMC contents can only be backupped by connecting some wires to it at the moment. For this, you need to open your wiiu and that will void it's warranty.
As long as new firmwares don't fix the exploit, there isn't much harm in installing them on your wiiu. I hope team f0f will warn us if an update comes out that patches the exploit so that we know it's time to take a backup of our older one. Current firmware updates still add new interesting features like wii play on the gamepad, so most people probably will install them. What's the point in finding another exploit in the older firmware if everybody moved on to a newer version. The only exceptions are if such could lead to the discovery of other exploits that still exist in the newer firmwares as well.
Very few are talented enough for such firmware dissection. (I am not either....)

As long as the existing exploit isn't made public, we can only hope that Ninty doesn't know it's details.
Without those, they likely won't bring out a new firmware that patches it.
So, do you need a backup?
Only if you intend to enter the hall of fame and try to restore it with the purpose to prove that downgrading is possible.
Don't blame me if you fubar your wiiu.

ye i wouldnt be the one to test this out unless i had a proper tutorial to follow lol. and as silly as it sounds i would be interested in opening the wii u if theres an exploit that requires some hardware changes. even tho it was a struggle to afford the wii u (150 pounds)

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi, anybody tried something yet? any update on this?

I would love to make a backup of my 4.1 wiiu so I could update now for online support and revert back later on if needed.

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can read from mine. but there are apparently no hardware people into this. I would post my dumps, but as they contain personal info, and there are no tools available for examining the dump (again I am mostly a hardware person). I have heard rumor that some of the 3DS tools may share some ability to view/edit Wii U.. but again I can't confirm or deny that.

The card reader method works, thats how I did it. Just not sure of what I have, I am sure the original FW is in there somewhere, so the console can restore itself. And not sure if I am reading the entire eMMc or only a partition seen by the HxD software..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)