Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, maybe not the best title.
Skipping that, so like has anyone found scratching on their Wii U games from unknown/unidentified sources?
In the case of this question, I refer to this Smash Bros Wii U in attached file image.
The scratches are noticable under bright light, but the surface retains for the most part the mirror quality (aka the scratches are more noticable from certain angles and do not appear deep when disc is viewed at even level).
So....the disc are different to DVD, more smooth and such. I read something comparing the build to Blu-ray (which is more sensitative supposedly). Should I be concerned over these markings? Do you suppose they may fade away over time?
As for what might have caused them, I say the likelyhood was when the WiiU was making the heavy rotation nose during gameplay; or when I cleaned around the base of the Wii U (when powered off of course. Maybe slight movement caused the sitting disc to shift back when the system booted again).
The game seems to perform fine.
The other question is do Wii U games have holes visable when held up to the light near the center similar to the Gamecube setup? I noticed my Mario on the front has a spot missing above his eyebrow and when held to light that the light passes through (visible from top and bottom of disc). However the hole is not noticable otherwise (no hole when looking at bottom of disc normally). Saw some mention of it on other discussions. Not wanting to think it is missing data, since hole has been on disc since obtained.
Anyhow, appreciate input.

Attachments

• smash.JPG
    smash.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 338

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I once purchased nintendo land off ebay and it had trouble reading the disc but it would work after a few tries. Fast forward 5 months later and no matter how many times I try, the disc will not work. And there are very few if any scratches on it. Very annoying.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
i am new to wii u but what i can report is also regarding a NEW smash bros disc.
bought with my friend and on his wii u the disc would skip, lag and micro freeze.
next day exchanged at EB for another smash disc and it is running and reading perfectly.
after some searching it seems there are at least some known issues with some batches of smash bros discs.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the dye in the data layer is damaged or begins to deteriorate then thats it for the disc. there can be minor damage to the dye and you wont notice as the CRC is correcting the errors. the games data for smash might not even be in that area of any game data. The game is about 15.6 gb.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
hi just wanted to update this thread with my latest wii u disc problem. ANOTHER bad copy of smash bros was bought, admittedly used, but the disc was flawless and would boot up and make it to smash menu and level select, however there seemed to be a 50% chance for the disc error message loading a smash battle, and a 50% chance of disc error upon exiting battle results. the dreaded 150-xxxx error. my unhacked wii u is 5.5.0 fw.

after 3 hours i returned the used disc, and as explained in my post above, quickly went to eb games, again, to but a NEW smash disc.
the new disc, i assume is a newer game version or better disc pressing, worked and loaded flawlessly for over 3hrs.

im warning everyone, the first batch of smash bros definitely has some kind of disc error or software issue from the factory.
i know this has been covered on gamefaq and other forums but im 2 years late to wii u :)

edit: i have also heard of the top label of smash discs chipping off, anyone else have that problem or witnessed it? thanks

Last edited by Sick Wario,

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
bumping this because the guy at my local independent game shop told me the wii u disc have some kind of special coating on them. anyone heard this before or know details?

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
bumping this because the guy at my local independent game shop told me the wii u disc have some kind of special coating on them. anyone heard this before or know details?
The disc needs to be closer to the laser so the coating is thinner. However there is technology to make the coating of the disck harder.

Reactions: Sick Wario

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse