Wii U Controller - 10,000mAh Internal Battery Mod

core2lee91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I actually might do this on the Wii U tablet I got.
Fuck that original battery life is pathetic.

How well does it hold up with charging?
Any residual battery percentage left? does the Wii U see the full 10k mAh?
As far as the Wii U controller is concerned this is still the original battery, it reports battery level and charges just as it did before…. only it just takes WAY longer to run the battery down.

Remember this is still the same voltage/similar output, just a much larger capacity.

As for charging, from empty with the Wii U charger this takes around 11 hours! Which is about right I guess when you consider this is over 7x the capacity of the original.

In the real world, actually using it as you normally would you could easily get 18-20 hours of use from this before needing to be charged again.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As far as the Wii U controller is concerned this is still the original battery, it reports battery level and charges just as it did before…. only it just takes WAY longer to run the battery down.

Remember this is still the same voltage/similar output, just a much larger capacity.

As for charging, from empty with the Wii U charger this takes around 11 hours! Which is about right I guess when you consider this is over 7x the capacity of the original.

In the real world, actually using it as you normally would you could easily get 18-20 hours of use from this before needing to be charged again.

Reason why I asked was purely cause of the Vita expecting a certain amount of mAh, going above it is fine but the Vita would just shut itself down.
A reboot fixes that issue and "switches" the battery to another "block" so to say.

Sweet, cheers for the info!

core2lee91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reason why I asked was purely cause of the Vita expecting a certain amount of mAh, going above it is fine but the Vita would just shut itself down.
A reboot fixes that issue and "switches" the battery to another "block" so to say.

Sweet, cheers for the info!
Ah makes sense, I know the PSP has always had some weird ass battery controller, I remember many years ago doing the "pandora mod" which did something with shorting a couple of pins on the battery PCB (I think) to then open up some sort of exploit.

The Wii U also uses a fairly unique chip as it has 4 wires, rather than the more common 2 or 3, but I have not found any issues with battery acting weird/shutting off the gamepad.etc since adding the oversized lithium cell.

Just behaves like the original, only lasts *a lot* longer.

maximecool92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

core2lee91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
your link is fo Raspberry Pi U, not wii u console. i search better battery is shipted to europe because i'm am french
I don't think anybody sells a 10,000mAh battery for the Wii U, this is just the battery I choose to use for this modification, it just so happens it can also be used to power a Rasperry Pi if you wanted to.

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@core2lee91 this are the hard mod that I love to see........ Thanks man to do it.

A little question (sorry I didn't go through to all the posts if there already is the same question mentioned) , the battery controller that prevent the charge/discharge protection and so on and that can be compatible with the 3 Pin of Wii U, you made custom or when you buy this 10.000 battery it's already included the little board to manage the battery? Because if will esplode the 10.000 battery in your hands, will not make only the black face 😅

core2lee91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@core2lee91 this are the hard mod that I love to see........ Thanks man to do it.

A little question (sorry I didn't go through to all the posts if there already is the same question mentioned) , the battery controller that prevent the charge/discharge protection and so on and that can be compatible with the 3 Pin of Wii U, you made custom or when you buy this 10.000 battery it's already included the little board to manage the battery? Because if will esplode the 10.000 battery in your hands, will not make only the black face 😅
The new battery already had a PCB/chip which manages; over charge, short circuit.etc

I removed the PCB which came with the battery (2 wires) and replaced it with the one which came with the Wii U battery (4 wires) which is what's going on in the 4th photo.

New battery still has short/over voltage/over charge/battery reporting.etc as it did originally.

Reactions: CrisMod

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The new battery already had a PCB/chip which manages; over charge, short circuit.etc

I removed the PCB which came with the battery (2 wires) and replaced it with the one which came with the Wii U battery (4 wires) which is what's going on in the 4th photo.

New battery still has short/over voltage/over charge/battery reporting.etc as it did originally.
Thanks man, I was just worried for this....long time ago I would make this mod and post here the guide, but at that time I would like to use the Xiaomi 10.000 battery power bank to dissemble and make this mod. The advantage was for the quick charge (as 10.000 mAh it take so long with Wii U original board) and find the way to keep coexist the original board battery with quick charge and add an USB C wher you charge just the battery and with the original board keep for the functionality with the Wii U....but after I was busy with other stuff and I left it. Do you think , if I want take back this crazy thing, I can let with some switch to keep the both controller board connected to the same battery?

ImmyChan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd honestly see if I could get my bf to do this since he has the required skills, but frankly I'd rather not run the risk of breaking my gamepad given how hard to come by and expensive they can be on their own, awesome mod though ^ ^

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Found a german forum where they did almost the same, just one addition from there: 705585 (which stands for 7x55x85mm) should fit perfectly without modifing the gamepad itself:
117331-20181208-094246-jpg

Last question is where to get such batteries throug.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They're all over Aliexpress.
If I would go for Aliexpress I could just order some battery made for the Wii U instead of going through the danger of DIY. So let me rephase my question: Where to find LiPo cells with higher quality than the average china battery?

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But where do the 2 left wires go?

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If I would go for Aliexpress I could just order some battery made for the Wii U instead of going through the danger of DIY. So let me rephase my question: Where to find LiPo cells with higher quality than the average china battery?
Usually for the best quality battery you need to buy the latest Xiaomi Power Bank dismantle them desolder the Xiaomi board and solder the Wii U board to the battery. Don't buy such things in AliExpress or what so ever, especially if we talking about 10.000 battery. Be safe guys.

core2lee91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Usually for the best quality battery you need to buy the latest Xiaomi Power Bank dismantle them desolder the Xiaomi board and solder the Wii U board to the battery. Don't buy such things in AliExpress or what so ever, especially if we talking about 10.000 battery. Be safe guys.
The battery I got is actually not just the "Price -> lowest first" version from Ali Express, the supplier is actually pretty reputable and its clear when you see this battery (and its dense weight) it isn't just some China special which is half the capacity it states.

This is where the battery was from: https://www.makerfocus.com/

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it isn't just some China special which is half the capacity it states.
Poblem with cheap batteries isn't that they are half the capacity but bad cells, so they degrade pretty fast. I even found such cheap stuff at a reputable german store (Reichelt) so they left the china market (Alibaba/eBay/Amazon) already.

They really look to cheap to be good... Not saying they are selling bad batteries but highly suspecting. Also can't find a 705585 there.

Usually for the best quality battery you need to buy the latest Xiaomi Power Bank dismantle them
Sounds good. Is there any website stating what batteries are included in what bank? Or do you know one which is about the same size (and capacity) as the high capacity Wii U battery?

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Poblem with cheap batteries isn't that they are half the capacity but bad cells, so they degrade pretty fast. I even found such cheap stuff at a reputable german store (Reichelt) so they left the china market (Alibaba/eBay/Amazon) already.

They really look to cheap to be good... Not saying they are selling bad batteries but highly suspecting. Also can't find a 705585 there.

Sounds good. Is there any website stating what batteries are included in what bank? Or do you know one which is about the same size (and capacity) as the high capacity Wii U battery?
Xiaomi , they use the best battery quality on the market, that as the highest rate of memory as well with all the protection possible with them board . The beautiful of this company, it's that they can keep down the price of them high quality battery because it's gigantic company in Asia (otherwise should cost more than double such battery on the market that could costo around 80 US dollar for a power bank). And them power bank you can get for around 20 dollar.

You can start to search from them Slim Model like this: https://www.mi.com/global/pb10000pro/

I just advice this guys, because when you buy something especially from Asia, for how much they can be trusted, you play with something modded into another device.... So better to go with some really trustfully company that they made any possible real test on them products.

Last edited by CrisMod,

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They're all over Aliexpress. Much better than OPs implementation as its a lot less hassle/modding and very easy to replace.
You missed the point, the OPs modification uses a 10 000mAh battery, while the one in this photo is only 3500mAh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0