1. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think pixel perfect modes look just fine on modern TVs. Classic games don't look better on CRTs, they just hide their flaws better because the screens were blurrier. That isn't better in my book, that's just tricking your brain to think they had a better quality than they ever really did.

D34DL1N3R likes this.
  2. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    That varies from game to game. From my anecdotal experience, NES games look better in pixel perfect modes, since the developers didn't/couldn't take the actual TV output into account while developing these games, so they just developed for a 256×224 picture. However, slightly more recent consoles such as the SNES, PS1 or N64 actively worked with the predicted output to create their images. For example, Donkey Kong Country on the SNES was developed with an anamorphic (stretched) 4:3 aspect ratio in mind, despite having the same 8:7 internal resolution, and they fully took into account that the picture would have scanlines, so it renders expecting an illusion of continuity in those black lines. Playing it in pixel-perfect mode doubles/triples every line, displaying a blocky image where your brain would perhaps automatically fill in a diagonal line or rounded picture, as well as forcing the "correct" aspect ratio that developers actively worked around (like playing an anamorphic widescreen DVD in 4:3 just because "it's still 640×480", assuming you live in an NTSC region). While the N64 and the PS1 actually render in 4:3 (320×240), they still expect scanlines, and the N64's anti-aliasing is completely broken if you force line-doubling. And the continuity illusion I mentioned is even more important in 3D rendering.

TL; DR: It's different on a case-by-case scenario. As a rule of thumb, NES looks just fine in pixel-perfect mode/nearest-neighbor scaling. Your mileage may vary with SNES games. Mega Drive/Genesis, Saturn, N64 and PS1 definitely look a lot better on a CRT or with a proper filter ("Sharp Bilinear" with a 640×480 — "Original" — window in Adrenaline for PSVita is a good example)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  3. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    At the end of the day, all it comes down to is that I think people that can't play a classic game on an HDTV are just obsessive nuts. The games play just fine, get over whatever OCD issues you have, yeah they may not look quite the same, but they are the same game and they do still look just fine at the end of the day. But hey I can't speak for everyone, we've all got our weird ticks. You do you I guess, but I'm still gonna look at such people like they're a bit crazy all the same.

4. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    Of course they're playable just fine. Hell, if your TV still has composite/S-Video/SCART inputs, even plugging an old console into those is still feasible, and the games will play just fine. However, the difference in picture quality is very noticeable, and more so the bigger the TV gets. While it's obviously nothing that makes the games unplayable, some games look really bad on modern TVs, especially at larger sizes, so I don't think people should be called crazy or OCD just because they prefer the original, objectively better look. They are crazy if they refuse to play the games just because they can't get that absolutely perfect picture, though :P

5. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    I spend thousands of dollars to get the absolute best picture for my children's game.

6. SG854

Comoros
    You are obsessive when you buy original consoles instead of using emulators because you have to have original speeds.
    You are obsessive when you spend more then $10 dollars on a CRT.
    You are obsessive when you use HIgan emulator over SNES9x.
    You are obsessive when you buy RGB cables instead of using composite.
    You are obsessive when RGB Master Class My Life in Gaming is your gods of knowledge and information.

These are children games for christ sake people. Its like spending over $4,000 dollars for an OLED display so that Barney, Teletubbies, and Peppa Pig looks its best in high quality HD.

7. simbin

simbin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Your mom pays for it all so I don't worry about it.

8. SG854

Comoros
    I glad you don't worry about my family stuff. It'll be weird since you are not part of my family.

9. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Imagine getting this worked up about how other people choose to play video games.

10. Newwiiuuser

OP Newwiiuuser Member
    Newcomer

Lithuania
    There are people on site called gba temp asking what is CRT?

And hipster? I dont think so. We game for fun and its hard to have fun on 1080p or higher when the game have 240i resoution. Also see about deinterlacing and lags and artefacts.

CRT is the superior technology for these games and it is their natural environment. Pictures is sharp and gameplay is so smooth. Also CRTs have zero input lag. It is heaven for a human being who enjoys retro games.

Also composite really sucks. No need to even discuss about it.

There is no obsession in it. It is a hobby. No one can tell how you can do it. The important part is how you enjoy. Saying so is a hypocrisy. If i say: Why people buying 2k monitors? Why the better cpu and gpu? Why in game better graphic settings. Just play on 30 fps and on low level graphics. If you dont do it you are obsessed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  11. SG854

Comoros
    Is that it? Is that all you're going say? Wow that was a vague rant.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm just joking bro. I game on CRT too Bro.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - support, aspect, awful