Wii U Audio and PC Monitor

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Gestalt, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Gestalt
    OP

Gestalt Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2015
    Hello!

I am planning on picking up a Wii U soon, but I'm trying to work out how to solve the audio issues I will no doubt encounter.

I plan to use the Wii U with my PC monitor, via HDMI. The monitor does not have a USB port or Speakers, so I won't be able to get audio from it, as I've understood. I believe I have two options?

I could use a 3.5 Audio Jack with the gamepad to get Audio via headset
    Or I could use Red and White component cables + HDMI and a daisychain to get audio out.

Are these correct? Any suggestions on which is better, or alternatives? I would like to use a USB headset if possible, over a 3.5Jack one, as I do not really want to buy a new headset for this Console.

Thank you for any help!

2. MorpheuZ

MorpheuZ Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2009
    My suggestion would be a HDMI Audio Extractor. They┬┤re fairly cheap.

3. Gestalt
    OP

Gestalt Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2015
    Seems pretty expensive to me. Are there any other options?

4. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Correct, however depending on the game the full game audio may not play through the GamePad.
    Also correct and this will give you the same audio that would otherwise play through HDMI.

You can't use your USB headset with the Wii U. I don't think there's any easy way around this.

5. Gestalt
    OP

Gestalt Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2015

Great - I think I will do this then and just find either a USB-to-Jack or just get a decent 3.5 headset for cheap. Thanks for the answer.

6. chevowner

chevowner Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2014
    United States
    When I had my WiiU connected to my PC last month for a short time. I had connected it to one of the monitors with an HDMI cable, and used the composite cable from a Wii with an adapter to connect that to the line in on the PC. Just change a setting in the audio options to output to both audio outputs.

7. sideskroll

sideskroll GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 25, 2010
    Peru
    In YOUR house.
    IIRC you can actually select the audio output on the WiiU.
    Meaning that you can output video from HDMI and audio from composite/component.
    No need to get anything else.

8. shinkodachi
    This message by shinkodachi has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 23, 2015, Reason: Stop bickering.
    Jan 22, 2015
  9. sideskroll
    This message by sideskroll has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 23, 2015, Reason: Stop bickering.
    Jan 22, 2015
  10. shinkodachi
    This message by shinkodachi has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 23, 2015, Reason: Stop bickering.
    Jan 22, 2015
  11. sideskroll
    This message by sideskroll has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 23, 2015, Reason: Stop bickering.
    Jan 22, 2015
  12. shinkodachi
    Jan 22, 2015
  13. sideskroll
    Jan 23, 2015
  14. chevowner
    This message by chevowner has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 23, 2015, Reason: Stop bickering.
    Jan 23, 2015
  15. sideskroll
    Jan 23, 2015
  16. chevowner
    This message by chevowner has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 23, 2015, Reason: Stop bickering.
    Jan 23, 2015
  17. sideskroll
    Jan 23, 2015