Wii u and vWii / GC games on same HDD RedNAND

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kidney_Stones_Suck, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Kidney_Stones_Suck
    OP

Kidney_Stones_Suck Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2017
    I am looking into modding my wii u. I have a wii and a switch and since I use mostly the switch now I figured hack my wii u and get rid of my wii. I have done a lot of research and since I would like my wife to be able to take use of the wii u as well as my daughters friends I thought the best setup for me will be redNAND autoboot with unlinked nands. This way I don't have to worry about anyone messing up the auto boot and already have a 64 gb card to use for redNAND.

Once I get it setup I want to use my HDD I have for my wii with all my GC and wii backups on it. It is currently formatted to fat32 with all games as iso / wbfs. Is there a way that I can use the same HDD without modification? I heard someone was working on a fix but found nothing.

I saw WUP Installer has a install to USB option but is it safe to assume this is for the wii u special format and not fat32?

Worse case is it possible to have two partitions and hide one of them and format the other for wii u? I remember one of the usb loaders for the wii mentioned it had the feature to be read by the vwii without getting a nag on the wii u.

Any help is appreciated since I am currently home sick with kidney stones, I'm sorry if this has been asked before i can't find any additional info

2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Don't use RedNAND. It's not for common users. Your wife and daughters can't do much damage with HaxChi or Mocha CFW. RedNAND is a sandbox for developers. That's why it's safe for them. It's also prone to SD corruption and other issues. Like no vWii. You wouldn't want them playing a game for hours and then all of a sudden, boom! RedNAND partition on SD corrupts and you lose everything including your savegames if you haven't recently backed up redNAND.

Read through my guide.

You can't partition a Wii U HD. Not possible.

Last edited by Kafluke, Jun 11, 2017
  3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola