Wii U’s Miiverse to skip Facebook, Twitter connectivity

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by MakiManPR, Jun 21, 2012.

1. MakiManPR
    OP

Banned MakiManPR Banned

Puerto Rico
    [​IMG]

Nintendo has said its Miiverse social networking service for Wii U will not support existing networks like Facebook and Twitter.
    Miiverse will allow users to communicate with fellow Wii U gamers via text or video chat and, whilst Nintendo of Europe's Laurent Fischer says the company hopes to bring the service to smartphones and PCs in the future, extending its coverage to current social networking giants will be a no-go.
    "I have three devices permanently doing that already, what is our benefit to do so also?" said Fischer during an interview with GamesIndustry International.
    He added: "On the Wii U we do have additional reasons for connecting, we talked about things like the video chat system, nothing revolutionary but it's going to be convenient, it's going to be easy.
    "And the Miiverse is the one actually that I believe has a very unique feature which is we put ourselves in the situation of making sure the people you can communicate with they are somehow already in a kind of community. The community will be the Wii U owners, who will have this common interest for video games and our expectation about that is it's going to be a way to enhance the idea of sharing information on the video game."
    Killing hopes for Facebook and Twitter on Wii U is an odd one for us. After all, such services could make perfect use of the console’s GamePad.

2 people like this.

2. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    fuck facebook

14 people like this.
  3. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Personally, I don't like them and I don't use them so I don't really give a mudkip. But its still kinda weird for Nintendo not to support this since they are Facebook supporters and all (especially since they put facebook intergration before most smartphones even got an official app.)

4. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    THANK YOU SO MUCH NINTENDO!
    I was so worried that they would integrate this stuff, but luckily they didn't :O

14 people like this.
  5. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    Miiverse is like it own twitter/facebook
    there no need to link your account to it

and
    latter on you will be able to view Miiverse stuff on the web

6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I don't care about Facebook support but Twitter would have been nice. This isn't a dealbreaker though.

7. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    You can still access them through the web browser, they just won't be integrated with the Miiverse service.

1 person likes this.
  8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Except for the fact that Facebook and Twitter will be infinitely more popular and are supported by like every other console's online system.

2 people like this.
  9. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    That is a shame, I wanted to annoy the fuck out of my friends like they do with their fucking game requests.

2 people like this.
  10. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    God bless Nintendo for this. Facebook and Twitter are both fucking awful, so it's nice to see neither are forcefully integrated into yet another god damn social aspect of gaming.

I don't think i'll ever understand console web browsers when you're sitting at a device at this very moment using a browser that's about 500x better than any PoS console browser.
    I'm pretty sure console browsing was just a joke that got out of hand.

3 people like this.
  11. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    this is why i love nintendo, the simply don't care about the latest fads and shove it down our throats! well done to them!

3 people like this.
  12. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    FIXED IT FOR YEA!

13. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    They are doom if they do, they are doom if they don't. :P

Maybe because everyone doesn't feel bother going to the PC to just check such things like facebook ,game hints or whatever other small things.

1 person likes this.
  14. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    I'm glad, last thing i need is for my twitter/facebook streams to be clogged with even more nonsense (I got a achievement!)

15. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    I hate Facebook, and I no longer waste my life looking at everyone's new updates.
    I only check it when I'm notified that I was contacted, or if I need to contact someone. And that's all done on my phone.
    I just hope the Wii U web browser is decent though, unlike the Wii one, where any page 'takes up too much memory'.

16. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It would have been nice for those that use them, but considering the WiiU could already do that via the browser, they probably felt it wasn't a necessity to have them integrated. Considering the replies in just this thread, a lot of people don't care about that integration, which only supports and reaffirms Nintendo's decision.

2 people like this.
  17. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i hate facebook connectivity. i don't ever log in anywhere using my facebook profile anymore. facebook to me is a glorified address book and nothing more.

1 person likes this.
  18. MakiManPR
    OP

Banned MakiManPR Banned

Puerto Rico
    It was confirmed that the WiiU will have some sort of Trophies/Achievements. I hope its like the PS3 that when you unlock a trophy it appear on Facebook. I would like just that and that let you upload photos and videos taken with the GamePad.

19. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Good. Facebook/Twitter are for losers.

3 people like this.
  20. matt382

Member matt382 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Seems kind of strange that they say they are trying to push social networking with the WiiU, yet skip over the two most popular social networking services in the world.