Hardware Wii Turns On But No Video Signal -- Not Even A Black Screen

Omnom911

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Picked up a Wii console for a song (ie. free), previous owner said it had no video and he wasn't wrong. Completely disassembled the console to give it a thorough cleaning... extremely dusty inside and noted that the plastic air intake grill on the (vertical) bottom of the Wii was almost completely clogged with dust (never seen that before ...). Beginning to suspect overheating may have been the issue.
So, fully cleaned and carefully reassembled, same issue ... there is no video signal. To be clear, not a black screen ... just no signal. Power supply and video cables both tested with a known good Wii.
From standby red LED, turns on (green LED) and DVD drive whirs twice as usual (blue drive LED blinks once). Cooling fan is spinning. Need to press and hold the power button for several seconds to turn the Wii off.
Holding "reset" when powering on has no effect (I have no information as to whether or not this Wii had been modded in the past). Tried using a modified Gamecube controller in port 4 to enter maintenance mode, but no effect. The drive will accept a DVD, but does not spin it up once inserted (it will spin it up if the DVD is in the drive at power-on) ... "Eject" will eject the disk. Also, can't get a Wiimote to sync at all.
Been Googling it like crazy for the past several days, tried everything I could find, but still no dice. Kind of annoyed that I can't find a solution given that it doesn't "seem" to be completely toast, but I'm almost resigned to the fact that this one could actually be a hardware failure ... however, too stubborn to give up just yet.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome ... I'll be the first one to admit that I'm still learning. Please let me know if you need more info as well.
Many thanks for any assistance ... cheers!

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like the system has been bricked in some low-level component. (Boot1, Boot2, System Menu, or the System Menu IOS)

System Menu is responsible for initializing video, which would explain why you get no signal instead of at least a black screen.

Omnom911

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks very much for the reply.
From what I've been reading here and there, I was beginning to suspect a low-level brick (I'm learning as I go ...). What I'm curious about is whether it's a hardware failure (ie. motherboard is toast), or whether the brick can be repaired using a method that I'm not yet aware of and haven't tried yet (any and all suggestions welcome).
I find it kind of frustrating that the unit appears to turn on OK, and that I can turn it off with the power button as well (as opposed to having to unplug it) ... part of me wants to believe that's there still some hope of recovery.

TheThief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if there would be a way to access priiloader if it wasn't already installed/or install it without a display to look at. Have you connected the sensor bar and synced a wiiremote? I only ask because if the wiimote syncs and vibration is on then you can hover over the channels and choose them. Not sure what use that would be without knowing if the hbc channel is installed to say: choose hbc and install priiloader. All while blind obviously.

Omnom911

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks TheThief for the reply. Yes, I have tried syncing the Wiimote, to no avail. I have no way of knowing if this Wii has ever been modded, unfortunately. It's not that this Wii is particularly important, it's just a challenge I want to beat if I can. I've had it apart, and except for the clogged air intake, nothing seems out of the ordinary ... circuit board, cables, connectors all appear clean (well, after I cleaned out all the dust). It turns on, but it takes a 4-5 second long hold of the power button to turn it off, so it's likely frozen on something (but not so completely frozen that I need to unplug it to turn the power off). Frustrating, but I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

TheThief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the mystery is where its not loading past. After you boot it on it would normally display the health screen asking for a press of A and it would auto press A if you dont after sometime. Then the wii menu would show. I've synced a wii remote while waiting in health screen so if you arent able to red button sync at some point then I doubt the wii is even getting to that sequence of booting.

Reactions: Chris71Mach1

nwiifletcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I messed with a friends wii once that had a similar problem. I determined that it was actually working without video by connecting only the audio cable and using the video cable of an xbox. The tv we were using would not go to the source and play the audio without video, so I had to trick it into having a video signal then it loaded the xbox screen with the wii audio. In the end this made me realize it had to be the video out for some reason. I do not solder so I had no idea how to see if I could fix it by messing with that part of the circuit board. I at least knew it wasnt a brick. Unfortunately it was never fixed. So it might actually be the video out. If it is that, then good luck on fixing it.

Omnom911

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those are both fair assessments. I've tried syncing the Wiimote from literally half a second after turning it on, but to no avail. Both the bluetooth and wifi modules have been tested working in a fully functioning Wii, so they shouldn't be the issue either. Using the Wii Drive Chip database, confirmed that the console is NTSC / Canada. Agree that it is likely bricked, but just unsure if it a software brick that might possibly be fixed through a hack or some such, or a hardware brick (defective board/component) that will require physical replacement.
Interesting idea nwiifletcher ... will give that a try and report back.

Reactions: nwiifletcher

Omnom911

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nwiifletcher ... gave your suggestion a try (with an OG XBox for video, no less) and, unfortunately, no audio from the Wii. So, still stuck, I'm afraid. But thanks so much for the idea!

Reactions: nwiifletcher

yazzy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any update on this issue? Were you able to fix it at all? I have had the same issue and am still interested in an attempt to fix it.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Any update on this issue? Were you able to fix it at all? I have had the same issue and am still interested in an attempt to fix it.

Hello.:)

Do you have a Black Screen or "No Signal" when you turn on your Wii ?
What happens when you press and hold the RESET Button on your Wii and turn it on ?
Did you tried different AV Connections on your TV ?
Did you also tried different AV Cables ?
Did you tried another Power Supply ?

Thank you.:)

JordanB500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello i just had this same problem i left my wii on for a few days straight forgetting about it and when i switched back to the wii everything was very dark i was playing zelda 2 on vc and i couldnt see so i turned the system off and back on again and i got the usual flashing blue lights so i unplugged it and let it cool off so it is back in its normal operation but no signal on my tv i do not have any other adapters or ways to connect it to my tv perhaps i need to wait a while longer perhaps there is still some heat in the internal compartments that need to be cooled first i am not that knowledgeable about the hardware i only know how to operate the software.
if you have any ideas im all ears

Reactions: Alexander1970

Mikhail_The_One

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently was going through old boxes and found my old Wii (RVL-001) first gen that I haven’t used in a few years. Plugged it in with the standard power cord and AV 3 plug hookup and started it up to notice my TV showed no signal. I thought perhaps it was because my TV is too new or maybe an issue with it being HD, but I tried with a different tv and still nothing. I purchased a few different pieces to see what the issue was. I thought maybe the AV wires were shot so I got a new set and still nothing. I tried one of those RCA to HDMI adapters and nothing. I grabbed one of those Wii2HDMI converters and still nothing. I am beyond irritated with this and see I’m not alone as this forum shows. Please please please tell me someone has figured this out and fixed this. I just want to play some old Wii games and kick back!

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

hello i just had this same problem i left my wii on for a few days straight ....

According to that it is very,very fairly likely a faulty/broken WiFi Module.
If you confim the Wii was in Stand By (the Wii´s LED was orange/yellow not Red) then for 98 Percent sure.:(

This Modules can fail with a very high Rate when they (constantly) in Stand By.
Earlier,when WiiConnect was active,it was needed to receive Mails/Messages and this Things.
Today you can do this also with RiiConnect24 too.

The Module can be replaced and it is not too expensive
You can find it on Amazon,EBay and Aliexpress for Example but they are maybe actual Out of Stock because of the actual "Situation".

By that Way you maybe also can clean your Wii because for the "overhaeating" Thing it is also very possible,your Wii has collected some "Stuff" like Dust.

You can also consider bying a used Wii (without Equipment you can maybe get one around 20 Euros.:)).

Thank you and
Good Luck.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

JordanB500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id like to state that the very rare scenario happened to me i got the no signal problem and for days i tried and tried again so i preety much gave up then i prayed that i be allowed to use my wii one last time and when i turned it on next it worked thats the power of prayer whether there exists a wii god or simply someone heard my prayer i thank thee

Tur7L3

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Picked up a Wii console for a song (ie. free), previous owner said it had no video and he wasn't wrong. Completely disassembled the console to give it a thorough cleaning... extremely dusty inside and noted that the plastic air intake grill on the (vertical) bottom of the Wii was almost completely clogged with dust (never seen that before ...). Beginning to suspect overheating may have been the issue.
So, fully cleaned and carefully reassembled, same issue ... there is no video signal. To be clear, not a black screen ... just no signal. Power supply and video cables both tested with a known good Wii.
From standby red LED, turns on (green LED) and DVD drive whirs twice as usual (blue drive LED blinks once). Cooling fan is spinning. Need to press and hold the power button for several seconds to turn the Wii off.
Holding "reset" when powering on has no effect (I have no information as to whether or not this Wii had been modded in the past). Tried using a modified Gamecube controller in port 4 to enter maintenance mode, but no effect. The drive will accept a DVD, but does not spin it up once inserted (it will spin it up if the DVD is in the drive at power-on) ... "Eject" will eject the disk. Also, can't get a Wiimote to sync at all.
Been Googling it like crazy for the past several days, tried everything I could find, but still no dice. Kind of annoyed that I can't find a solution given that it doesn't "seem" to be completely toast, but I'm almost resigned to the fact that this one could actually be a hardware failure ... however, too stubborn to give up just yet.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome ... I'll be the first one to admit that I'm still learning. Please let me know if you need more info as well.
Many thanks for any assistance ... cheers!

May be late, but my does the same when i turn it ON andand t is NOT connected
1587483641050559556806.jpg 15874836886251425414149.jpg

Long story but it can't be turned ON without this, it used to overheat really hard when i was a kid, it once got to the point when the same is happening to you happened so we bought this and problem fixed.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Safetyrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was so hoping someone found a solution to this since what the OP posted is exactly what just happened to me after me taking it from one house to another. I can say that it was homebrewed including bootmi.

Ashitaka

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have similar problem. My wii dont work with av cable but works with components... Does anyone know wtf happening. Av cable works on another wii console...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's certainly better than the first but it's not awesome either.