Hacking Wii to Wii U system transfer with homebrew installed

Connell112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've read that you can transfer VC channels from a softmodded Wii to Wii U with no problems (although the homebrew channel and related homebrew channels won't be transferred) However I couldn't find an answer to what happens if you have the homebrew channel installed on the vWii, prior to the transfer? I have the homebrew channel on the vWii on my Wii U, I haven't used it for anything yet, but will it affect the transfer of the VC titles from my softmodded Wii? Most of the channels were WADs I installed.

Also, does anyone know if WAD installed channels work with the upgrade you can pay for to transfer them from the vWii the Wii U, just out of curiosity? Many thanks.

Last edited by Connell112,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read that you can transfer VC channels from a softmodded Wii to Wii U with no problems (although the homebrew channel and related homebrew channels won't be transferred) However I couldn't find an answer to what happens if you have the homebrew channel installed on the Wii U, prior to the transfer? I have the homebrew channel on the vWii on my Wii U, I haven't used it for anything yet, but will it affect the transfer of the VC titles from my softmodded Wii? Most of the channels were WADs I installed.

Also, does anyone know if WAD installed channels work with the upgrade you can pay for to transfer them from the vWii the Wii U, just out of curiosity? Many thanks.

Honestly this is the first I've heard of this. System transfer was introduced with the Wii U and I know for a fact that doesn't work with vwii. I don't know if you're talking about using some homebrew app or what.

Last edited by Kafluke,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Honestly this is the first I've heard of this. System transfer was introduced with the Wii U and I know for a fact that doesn't work with vwii. I don't know if you're talking about using some homebrew app or what.
Wii->vWii system transfer is a thing, and always has been. On vWii the system transfer app comes preinstalled and on Wii it has to be downloaded from the Shop Channel I believe.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I don't know what would happen. Just in case he wasn't clear and someone else has an answer, he currently has the Homebrew Channel on his vWii, and wants to transfer Virtual Console titles from a softmodded regular Wii to the vWii using the transfer tool on the vWii provided by Nintendo. Will this delete his Homebrew Channel or otherwise damage his vWii?

Reactions: Connell112

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii->vWii system transfer is a thing, and always has been. On vWii the system transfer app comes preinstalled and on Wii it has to be downloaded from the Shop Channel I believe.
Oh yeah that's right. My bad. I've never tried it before. Why not just delete the homebrew channel and try? It's pretty easy with one of the game exploits to put it back.

The other issue is that vwii uses different cios's and different channel forwarders. You might be taking a big risk.

Check with @CJB100 and see what he thinks.

Last edited by Kafluke,
Reactions: CJB100

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah that's right. My bad. I've never tried it before. Why not just delete the homebrew channel and try? It's pretty easy with one of the game exploits to put it back.

The other issue is that vwii uses different cios's and different channel forwarders. You might be taking a big risk.

Check with @CJB100 and see what he thinks.

I know you can transfer softmodded Wii data to the vWii, but the fact that you already have the HBC on the vWii is what worries me. Even if you uninstall HBC, I'm not certain if there are any modified IOS that would cause issues? I'm sure someone else here either knows or has attempted this before and can answer.

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no need for him to uninstall HBC, just do the transfer, he should be ok?

Connell112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll consider my options, and potentially go the route of removing the HBC from my vWii and then seeing how the transfer goes. I'll post back in here if I go through with it so then there's a record of the results. Thanks again.

Also sorry if the wording was confusing in my original post, I couldn't quite get what I wanted to say :lol:

Reactions: CJB100

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference