Wii to Wii U system transfer with homebrew installed

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Connell112, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Connell112
    OP

Connell112 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    I've read that you can transfer VC channels from a softmodded Wii to Wii U with no problems (although the homebrew channel and related homebrew channels won't be transferred) However I couldn't find an answer to what happens if you have the homebrew channel installed on the vWii, prior to the transfer? I have the homebrew channel on the vWii on my Wii U, I haven't used it for anything yet, but will it affect the transfer of the VC titles from my softmodded Wii? Most of the channels were WADs I installed.

Also, does anyone know if WAD installed channels work with the upgrade you can pay for to transfer them from the vWii the Wii U, just out of curiosity? Many thanks.

Last edited by Connell112, Jun 24, 2016
  2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Honestly this is the first I've heard of this. System transfer was introduced with the Wii U and I know for a fact that doesn't work with vwii. I don't know if you're talking about using some homebrew app or what.

Last edited by Kafluke, Jun 24, 2016
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Wii->vWii system transfer is a thing, and always has been. On vWii the system transfer app comes preinstalled and on Wii it has to be downloaded from the Shop Channel I believe.

4. CJB100

CJB100 Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Hmm, I don't know what would happen. Just in case he wasn't clear and someone else has an answer, he currently has the Homebrew Channel on his vWii, and wants to transfer Virtual Console titles from a softmodded regular Wii to the vWii using the transfer tool on the vWii provided by Nintendo. Will this delete his Homebrew Channel or otherwise damage his vWii?

Connell112 likes this.
  5. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Oh yeah that's right. My bad. I've never tried it before. Why not just delete the homebrew channel and try? It's pretty easy with one of the game exploits to put it back.

The other issue is that vwii uses different cios's and different channel forwarders. You might be taking a big risk.

Check with @CJB100 and see what he thinks.

Last edited by Kafluke, Jun 24, 2016
    CJB100 likes this.
  6. CJB100

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    I know you can transfer softmodded Wii data to the vWii, but the fact that you already have the HBC on the vWii is what worries me. Even if you uninstall HBC, I'm not certain if there are any modified IOS that would cause issues? I'm sure someone else here either knows or has attempted this before and can answer.

7. ItsMetaKnight

ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2008
    HBC will be ignored during the transfer. The old Wii will be formatted, so HBC will be lost there as well.

8. CJB100

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    So no need for him to uninstall HBC, just do the transfer, he should be ok?

9. Connell112
    OP

Connell112 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll consider my options, and potentially go the route of removing the HBC from my vWii and then seeing how the transfer goes. I'll post back in here if I go through with it so then there's a record of the results. Thanks again.

Also sorry if the wording was confusing in my original post, I couldn't quite get what I wanted to say :lol:

CJB100 likes this.
  10. CJB100

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Glad to help!