Wii to GCN Converter

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by DDRPenguin, Feb 23, 2009.

Feb 23, 2009

Wii to GCN Converter by DDRPenguin at 6:16 AM (1,107 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. DDRPenguin
    OP

Member DDRPenguin GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    I am looking for something that I can play use my Classic Controller (In specifics, my Wii Fighting Arcade Stick) on gamecube titles, like a Wii to GCN converter.

This would really be nice for fighting games like Capcom VS SNK 2, as I am getting bored of Fatal Fury 2 and Street Fighter II.

2. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Impossible... the GC cannot and will not EVER be able to access Wii hardware, such as the bluetooth card for the Wii Remote.

And before someone goes off and says it can be... no, it can't. EVER. EVER!!!

Once a GC game starts, it shuts off ALL the extra Wii hardware... wifi, bluetooth, sensor bar, SD card slot... all shut off... so even if you COULD write a program to access the bluetooth, it's shut off, so you'd have no way to turn it back on.

No, the backup launcher uses GC mode... it shuts off the Wii hardware... NO! Can't be done. Don't argue.

3. DDRPenguin
    OP

Antarctica
    So you're saying there isn't a device that can connect my Classic Controller to a GCN controller port, and use it as a controller?

4. dodol

Member dodol GBAtemp Regular

United States
  5. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Well, marcan (or was it busing, i can't remember... lol) made a GC to wiimote adapter (us gc pad as classic controller).

I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible to do the opposite and make an adapter for classic controller for the gc ports, but i suspect it would be more difficult and costly.

The only other thing that might be possible, is if MIOS hacking became advance enough, you might be able use some wii features in gc games, but again, i don't think it will happen.

No harm in hoping or raising the idea though.

EDI: didn't realize that an adapter already exists! thanks for the heads up.

6. referencer

Member referencer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So code something to turn the Wii hardware back on, or keep it from going off in the first place.

You deeply underestimate the power of homebrew.

7. jd506

Newcomer jd506 Advanced Member

United States
    Did you even read his post before you replied?

Here's a classic controller to GC adapter.
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-g4-49-en-70-34yd.html

8. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    dude your my idol now i know what i want for my b-day thank you so much now i can play capcom vs snk 2 with ****ing ease!!

9. DDRPenguin
    OP

Antarctica
    Yeah I was wondering if he read my post at all.

OMG you're so awesome! Thank you so much, this is exactly what I am looking for, and better yet, it allows PS and PS2 support. SCORE! I love you man (Friend like way)

10. Link00y

Newcomer Link00y Advanced Member

Germany
    On a technical note.. I guess it would be possible to enable that... however I'd suspect, you'd require both a bc and mios hack.. bc is the application which switches the Wii into Gamecube mode.. BC would be required to be modified so that it does not disable the Bluetooth adapter.. MIOS then simulates the Gamecube BIOS and the hardware mappings.. and at that place it would have to enable the Classic Controller so that this one takes over the GC controller function.. I'd assume that if someone even manages to make this possible:
    -it would disable GCN controllers
    -it would confuse many games as additional hardware (Bluetooth) the games do not expect to be there is enabled

The hardware adapter solution is certainly more feasable!

11. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Oh cool. So there really is an adapter.
    I'll have to snag me one of those.

Thats the thing though, software wise you're stuck with what controllers the machine is built for.
    However re-wiring or converters (close to the same thing, just re-interpreting the signals) is the way to go.
    I've been very hesitant to buy one of those arcade sticks with its lack of analog support.
    Now I might reconsider if I can use it for any GCN pad only game.

I bought a really nice multi machine arcade stick before the Wii's release but much to my dismay the gamecube port refused to work on the Wii.

Though I wonder if it would work via the PS2 adapter on that thing. Hmm.
    More I think about it the more I want one.

Though the Wii arcade pad would be usable on my comp using bluetooth.
    I'm tempted. Just wish it was a little cheaper or had analog support like my pelican arcade pad.

Anyway usefull thread. :3

12. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    PS2 to PC adapters are widely available (e.g. this one or this one), you could just hook the PS2 connector on your existing one to one of those.