Hacking Wii to Factory State

alvinblank

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I wish to restore my Wii to it's clean state and start all over. It's in a mess right now as I'm not sure what's in it and stuff, HBC and USBLoader are working fine. But I just need it to feel 'clean'.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While 4.2 was fairly thorough, it isn't perfect. For a truly virgin wii, you'd also need to delete IOS250 and uninstall cIOSCORP if installed. If he wants a quick clean job an update will do fine. If he wants a perfectly virgin wii, not the way to go.

For an "as close to fully virgin as they come" wii, best way is to:
* Uninstall cIOSCORP if installed (not likely, but never hurts to mention it)
* Use Wad Manager or AnyTitleDeleter Mod to uninstall any custom channels or pirated VC/WW (never remove IOSes or system menus).
* Disable preloader hacks/startpatch. (Remove preloader too, if not planning to update)
* Use AnyTitle Deleter to delete cIOSes (IOS202,222,223,249,250).
* Delete any save exploits (Indiana Pwns, Twilight Hack)
* Run hackmii installer from homebrew channel, and uninstall everything included in it.
* (Optional) Update wii.
* (Optional) Format wii to remove homebrew channel from logs.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Updating might or might not remove everything, EG shared content, can't remember myself.

You can check this with free blocks it should have FREE BLOCKS (should be) = 2170/2169 on a virgin Wii.

I normally clean everything manually with nand clean etc, then format the Wii, but this can cause problems for some people.

Just note virgin Wii = 2170 blocks free

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
Updating might or might not remove everything, EG shared content, can't remember myself.

You can check this with free blocks it should have FREE BLOCKS (should be) = 2170/2169 on a virgin Wii.

I normally clean everything manually with nand clean etc, then format the Wii, but this can cause problems for some people.

Don't IOS install to some of those NAND blocks?

if so, thats only true on a certain version and certain region.

some people have stub IOS version installed, others have no stubs

KamuiX

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Sorry but the format action from the Wii setting what really do? If you backup all your saves and then format...Isn't gonna clean everything?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KamuiX said:
Sorry but the format action from the Wii setting what really do? If you backup all your saves and then format...Isn't gonna clean everything?

It's not a good way to remove hacks, leave it at that. Honestly learning what you did on your Wii and individually getting rid of them would be the best way to get rid of stuff. And starting over is a kinda dumb reason to do it in most cases. Everything pretty much just reinstalls over eachother. Just redo everything and you should be fine anyways.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
xzxero said:
Slimmmmmm said:

Don't IOS install to some of those NAND blocks?

if so, thats only true on a certain version and certain region.

some people have stub IOS version installed, others have no stubs

IOS, System Menu, some Nintendo channels, message board etc all use a reserved space iirc. (meaning it doesnt affect the free blocks you see in Wii settings)
Shared contents don't so a format will free this space.
An old 3.0 Wii or a freshly updated Wii to 4.2 should have 2170/2169 blocks free if it is clean.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence -