Hardware Wii to computer Monitor - time to bite the bullet

WadsRUs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been thinking of doing this for ages, but I'd finally like to try and connect my Wii to my computer monitor (a widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW).

The monitor has both DVI and VGA inputs - my PC is connected to the DVI so I'll use the VGA for the Wii. I guess the output from the Wii wouldn't look any different on DVI compared to VGA? If for some reason it's best to use the DVI then I could get a splitter.

However, it seems to be a minefield out there when it comes to getting decent video on an LCD monitor. Many people report the black screen issue, and only 480p games will display on an LCD monitor. Correct?

Sound is another issue but I'm sure that's an easier 'fix'.

So what's the best solution in terms of video quality which won't result in me seeing a black screen every so often?

Thanks

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get a Component to VGA adapter, but you'll want one that can handle interlaced video if you plan to play NGC games on it. It will also depend on your adapter and monitor for proper widescreen, as the Wii only puts out Anamorphic Widescreen.

WadsRUs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

WadsRUs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can get a Component to VGA adapter, but you'll want one that can handle interlaced video if you plan to play NGC games on it. It will also depend on your adapter and monitor for proper widescreen, as the Wii only puts out Anamorphic Widescreen.

Thanks - would anyone recommend a particular adapter?

As for the Anamorphic Widescreen issue - this monitor is 16:10 so I assume that I'll just end up with black bars top and bottom? There won't be any cropping will there?

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
You need something like TecXero mentioned:

AV1-CablingSetup.gif

And it isn't really cheap.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depending upon the price of a component to VGA adapter (or possibly a good capture device) then would it instead be worth looking at a Wii U and using its HDMI?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending upon the price of a component to VGA adapter (or possibly a good capture device) then would it instead be worth looking at a Wii U and using its HDMI?
You'll want to make sure your monitor supports HDMI "limited range" before doing this. PCs typically use "full range" RGB on HDMI (0-255 per channel), whereas media devices like game consoles and DVD players use "limited range" (16-235). Some consoles, like PS3, do allow you to select limited or full, but Wii U does not, and it doesn't look like Nintendo plans on adding that option anytime soon.

tl;dr if you use the Wii U on an HDMI monitor that only supports full range, the image will be washed out.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks - would anyone recommend a particular adapter?

As for the Anamorphic Widescreen issue - this monitor is 16:10 so I assume that I'll just end up with black bars top and bottom? There won't be any cropping will there?

I'd recommend just googling around for one. There's been similar questions on various forums and different recommendations. You should learn about how your monitor handles anamorphic picture and go from there. If there isn't proper support for anamorphic picture and you just get a plain VGA, you'll end up with a 4:3 image.

The Wii outputs 4:3. The widescreen option has it put out Anamorphic 16:9 in a 4:3 image, intending for it to be stretched to 16:9 by whatever is displaying it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: shit like goku mui and beerus and other dbs stuff lmao