Wii theme help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by VGMStudios, Dec 26, 2009.

Dec 26, 2009

Wii theme help by VGMStudios at 4:07 AM (1,684 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. VGMStudios
    OP

Newcomer VGMStudios Member

Canada
    I am tring to make a Wii theme for the system menu, but everytime I pass 17BM I get a "system files are corrupted" message on my Wii.
    Is 17MB the limit?
    I do not know how to use yaz0dec.exe as I heard it can compress your files. but what files? the csm file?
    I try drag and drop on yaz0dec.exe but nothing happens. A dos window flashes but thats it.

can someone PLEASE shine some light on this? Yes i tried using the search function for yaz0dec.exe but didnt find much and Wadder.net is down.

I also read that ppl have 24MB theme files and they work. How is this possible?

VGM out...

2. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    Has it got the right .app file as the base?

3. AetherMaster

Member AetherMaster Aether

United States
    Ah, themes. My area of expertise...

No, as far as I know, there's really no limit to the size of your themes. I've used some that were way over 17mb, so that's obviously not your issue.

So, there are a couple of things that you could try...

1: Get the WADder.net Portapack and use the included base.app getter to make sure that you're using the correct one.

2: If you plan to yaz0 compress the files, you're using the wrong tool. You need yaz0enc, not yaz0dec. Portapack's Extras.dat has a GUI version of it. You need to compress the ASH files inside the .csm (located in layout/common). Don't know how to extract the csm to get the ASH files? Don't risk it. It could lead to a brick.

3: Assuming you're using MyMenu, It could be a bad .mym so try another and see if you get the same results or if it works.

4. VGMStudios
    OP

Newcomer VGMStudios Member

Canada
    Hi and thanks for the link and the help but it doesn't seem to work.

this is what I am doing. I am using the Luigi Theme as my base. In it, it has a board.ash file that I am trying to customize. Now if the files are not the same size as the original files I get that corrupted error message.

For example. I am trying to change "My-Letter-b.tpl". The original file is 28kb. The tpl that I create using TplMii from and PNG file make it 109KB. Everything else is the same size but this one file.

I pack the board_arc_OUT folder using U8Tool.exe into an board.arc file (BTW the U8Tool.exe in that Portapack doesnt work, I keep getting a run time error - So I am using the one I downloaded a while back).

I then rename the ARC file to board.ash.

I proceed to highlight everything in the folder and Zip it using Power Archiver 2010 and change the ZIP to MYM.

I then use MyMenu to create the CSM file by selecting the correct Base-v499.app file that I got from where you told me to get it from and the MYM file that I zipped.
    I them move the CSM file to my SD card and launch HBC and MyMenufy and load the CSM file. I reboot to the system menu and I get the error that my files are corrupted.

Now if I change this ONE FILE back to the original everything is fine. It doesnt matter WHAT file I change. If its larger then the original I get this corrupted error message and I cant figure out why.

So what am I doing wrong? Perhaps I can send you my theme files and you can take a look?

Edit: Forgot to add. I tried compressing the board.ash file with yaz0enc and it made a 152kb file from the 1257KB file. I then packed it and loaded the CSM file only to ger a blank screen when the Wii reboots. What I did was launch the yaz0 program, selected the board.ash file and renamed it to something else as the output file.
    when it was done, i just del the original and renamed the new file to board.ash.

VGM out...

5. AetherMaster

Member AetherMaster Aether

United States
    PM me your mym and the new image and I'll see if I can fix it. I'll also need to know your Wii's region and menu version.

EDIT: Still send me them, but your problem might be U8Tool. You should be using U8it by Xuzz. Portapack has a GUI verison.