Wii system serials?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by dookie11, Dec 30, 2009.

Dec 30, 2009

Wii system serials? by dookie11 at 7:13 AM (1,053 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. dookie11
    OP

Newcomer dookie11 Newbie

Sorry, I'm reposting just in case that I didnt post in the right forum last time.

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new Wii soon so I can softmod it and enjoy it with the family. Which serials am I looking for if I want to play burnt-DVDs, homebrew, and USBLoader? And which serials should I avoid?

Been outta the scene for a while, since I got my Ps3 in April... Does the Wii system firmware matter anymore when looking to softmodding it?

Thanks for the help guys.

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The serial numbers are all scrambled up, so there's no sure-fire way. The Wii can get softmodded, regardless of what update it has.

3. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    Anything under LU64+ is alright!

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    There are boot2v4 wii's with a serial under LU64
    And if he doesn't live in the US, it won't even contain LU at all
    Just grab one from the store
    Normally, a lower serial has higher chance on not being LU64+ and not containing the new drive. But for softmodding thats all the same (except fr the drive thing)

5. dookie11
    OP

Newcomer dookie11 Newbie

I live in California-- Rosemead, CA to be exact. What should I be looking for on the box? Should the serial would be like: LU63, 62, etc (Is that what you mean by lower serial?) Also, why would I need the "older drive"? Would that be for dvd movies or for Gamecube games, or does USBLoader do all those also?

Thanks guys

6. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You will need a Wii with an older DVD drive in order to play disc backups and watch DVD movies.

All Wiis can use USB loaders for Wii games. (There will never be a softmod GameCube USB loader.)