Hacking Wii System Menu Won't Boot, HBC won't install

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My friend broke his wii and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it for him. He doesnt know how its modded. I'm guessing its a softmod.

He tried to play a game and it wouldnt work for him. Im not sure what the problem was. So to fix it he thought he could just do a factory reset and it would fix it. He did the factory reset and now when the wii is turned on it goes right to the preloader menu (0.28)

Error autobooting system menu. Ticket not found!
Error autobooting HBC. Maybe title not installed

When I try to install HBC going through preloader it says:

There is no known vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii. Please note that we will not use a fakesigned IOS due to security reasons.

Where do I begin?

D

Deleted-171178

Run DOP-IOS to install a clean IOS36.
After that, install Homebrew channel, and if possible Bootmii as Boot2.
Then use Any Region Changer to install a system menu.
Finally, install Preloader 0.30.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
just re-read beegee's instructions, i would recommend using dop-ios (or wad manager + IOS wad downloaded via nus downloader) to install a different non-fakesigned IOS. IOS36 is still widely used with the trucha bug, so i would recommend installing an non-fakesigned IOS30 (v1040) instead. Then continue doing what was said (re-running the hackmii installer, etc.)

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
beegee7730 said:
Run DOP-IOS to install a clean IOS36.
After that, install Homebrew channel, and if possible Bootmii as Boot2.
Then use Any Region Changer to install a system menu.
Finally, install Preloader 0.30.

How to I run DOP-IOS? I tried running it through preloader and it gave me a code dump.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
how did u try running it through preloader? try installing it as file, then setting your settings to boot to the installed file (some files will stack dump when trying to launch them, but work properly when booting to them as installed files)

If dop IOS still doesn't work, it sounds like you may be missing the cios (ios 249).

u can try dopios mod, selecting to use IOS36 (or try IOS250, 222, and 223 if u have them), then install a non-fakesigned IOS30

If this doesn't work, use the TBR 1.0 or 1.1 (1.0 if your on firmware 4.1 or below, and 1.1 if your on 4.2) to install a non-fakesigned IOS 36

hopefully one of these method will get u a non-fakesigned IOS, from there you can follow xzxero's stickied guide on how to modify any wii 4.2 and below.

there are other ways to get this to work too, but I dont want to list them all (ie. run wad manager, try to use a IOS36 (222,223 etc.) to install IOS30 v1040 (non-fakesigned)

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry thats what I meant. I installed the boot.dol as file. Then chose load installed file. Then it code dumped on me. Maybe I tried the wrong version of DOP-IOS?

EDIT:

When I set it as autoboot file it doesnt code dump on me.. but it just goes to a black screen.
I'll have to try dopios mod

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dopios mod is no good either. It will boot up but when I choose IOS36 I get a code dump. The other ones you suggested were not listed.

Im not sure what firmware he is using. If I pick trucha bug restorer 1.0 and hes on 4.2 what will happen?
(Its not letting me load the file even if I choose boot to the installed file. No code dump, just cant load it)

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Trucha Bug Restorer 1.1 loads for me.

But I dont know how to install anything with it. I guess I need to put the files on the SD card. I cant use online method because its not my wii so my wifi is not set up on it.

What files do I need to get?

Loadmii won't work either. I get a code dump/black screen just like DOP-IOS

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ThaDraGun said:
dopios mod is no good either. It will boot up but when I choose IOS36 I get a code dump. The other ones you suggested were not listed.

Im not sure what firmware he is using. If I pick trucha bug restorer 1.0 and hes on 4.2 what will happen?
(Its not letting me load the file even if I choose boot to the installed file. No code dump, just cant load it)

if u use 1.0 on a v4.2 wii, it wont load at all. So download the v1.1, use nus downloader to get the required files, make sure they're named the right way (instructions on which 1's to download and where 2 save them and what to name them are in the TBR 1.1 read me, so read it!)

• Run Trucha Bug Restorer (TBR) via homebrew
• (if on 4.2 firmware use either TBR 1.1 or TBR MOD; if on 4.1 or below use TBR 1.0)
Press B to choose No IOS Reload.
Wait until it says Press 1 then press it.
Go to Downgrade IOS15.
Press A to downgrade.
Everytime it says "load IOS from SD" press A.

Note: if missing IOS’s on the root of your SD card, either choose NUS (meaning Network installation – internet required) instead of “load IOS from SD”, or use NUS Downloader (make sure “pack wad” is checked) to download and save the following IOS Wads to the root of your SD card: IOS15-64-v257.wad, IOS15-64-v266.wad (TBR 1.0 only), IOS15-64-v523.wad (TBR 1.1/MOD only), IOS36-64-v3094.wad (TBR 1.0 only) and IOS36-64-v3351.wad (TBR 1.1/MOD only). More details on using NUS Downloader can be found later in this guide.

• Run Trucha Bug Restorer again
Choose IOS15 and press A. (Important)
Choose IOS36 menu. In there use these settings:
Install IOS to slot (36)
Hash check (trucha) NO
ES_Identify NO
Nand Permissions NO
Then press A on install patched IOS36 (this will install a non-fake signed IOS36 v3351)
Every time it says "load IOS from SD" press A.

Wait until it says Press 1 then press it
Then Choose restore IOS15.
Press A to restore (this will install IOS15 v523)

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xflak40 said:
ThaDraGun said:

if u use 1.0 on a v4.2 wii, it wont load at all. So download the v1.1, use nus downloader to get the required files, make sure they're named the right way (instructions on which 1's to download and where 2 save them and what to name them are in the TBR 1.1 read me, so read it!)

• (if on 4.2 firmware use either TBR 1.1 or TBR MOD; if on 4.1 or below use TBR 1.0)
Go to Downgrade IOS15.
Press A to downgrade.

Note: if missing IOS’s on the root of your SD card, either choose NUS (meaning Network installation – internet required) instead of “load IOS from SD”, or use NUS Downloader (make sure “pack wad” is checked) to download and save the following IOS Wads to the root of your SD card: IOS15-64-v257.wad, IOS15-64-v266.wad (TBR 1.0 only), IOS15-64-v523.wad (TBR 1.1/MOD only), IOS36-64-v3094.wad (TBR 1.0 only) and IOS36-64-v3351.wad (TBR 1.1/MOD only). More details on using NUS Downloader can be found later in this guide.

Install IOS to slot (36)
Hash check (trucha) NO
ES_Identify NO
Nand Permissions NO
Then press A on install patched IOS36 (this will install a non-fake signed IOS36 v3351)

I did these steps and everything went fine. No errors at all. When everything completed I tried installing HBC again and it said the same thing. It couldnt install. Should I try the steps again? or is there something else I need to do first?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ok i thought that would have worked, u need to repeat the same thing, only now we want to install a trucha patched IOS36, so do the following.

Go to Downgrade IOS15.
Press A to downgrade.

Install IOS to slot (36)
Hash check (trucha) YES
ES_Identify YES
Nand Permissions YES
Then press A on install patched IOS36 (this will install a fake signed IOS36 v3351)

Now go back to dop-ios mod and select to use ios36 again, this time it shouldn't stack dump, then install IOS30 v1040, then run hackmii

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xflak40 said:
ok i thought that would have worked, u need to repeat the same thing, only now we want to install a trucha patched IOS36, so do the following.

Go to Downgrade IOS15.
Press A to downgrade.

Install IOS to slot (36)
Hash check (trucha) YES
ES_Identify YES
Nand Permissions YES
Then press A on install patched IOS36 (this will install a fake signed IOS36 v3351)

Now go back to dop-ios mod and select to use ios36 again, this time it shouldn't stack dump, then install IOS30 v1040, then run hackmii

I did that twice and still get the stack dump in dop-ios mod on ios36. I even downloaded all the wads through NUSD again just incase they didnt download properly or something. Still nothing is working.

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't find anything that will work.

It has to be able to run through preloader installed file and I need to be able to use a gamecube controller. My wiimotes wont work on his wii and I cant sync them without being in the wii system menu. And I can't use wifi either since I cant set up my wifi network without the system menu either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: