Wii System Formating

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Skiller, Apr 22, 2010.

Apr 22, 2010

Wii System Formating by Skiller at 7:48 AM (868 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Skiller
    OP

Member Skiller GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    K i know this is a Lame Question but u know was kinda thinking does the wii format get rid of Custom Ios and Clear the boot to ? or does it just kill the CHans all the chans and saves ?

i put this in here because i mainly want to know if it kills Cios and just keeps the Factory ones ..

Sorry about the Noob Question but i cant seem to find info on this but a google said it could mess things up .. so want to see what peeps here have to say thanks

2. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    It does not remove cIOS. Just installed channels, savegames, and resets your settings, language and such.

It is mostly useless.

3. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    Furthermore, formatting changes your Wii's keys, meaning you can't revert with BootMii and you lose your Shop Account. This is bad. Never format, it's useless to modders like you and only makes things more difficult later.

If you want to remove homebrew from your system, search for a guide on virginizing your Wii.

4. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Are you sure? I find that hard to swallow. Especially since all ios and SM remain, I doubt the keys change. I also doubt you would loose your shop account by using a built in feature of the SM. Not that I have ever used the shop, but it makes no sense for N to set it up like that.

I am very sure that your nand.bin would still be valid. And I would be very a very upset customer if it voided my shop acount, so not likely.

Perhaps you are thinking of the comix nand formater, which would change the SN and void your shop account. But even this does not effect the system keys.

Also, virignizing a wii is always a bad idea, unless you plan to send it to Nintendo for repair.

5. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    My bad, I was indeed confusing the two along with previous reports of formatting causing BootMii restores to fail. Formatting does not change the keys. Regardless, it is not very useful.

As for virginizing, the only reason to do so is to send in a Wii for repair or to sell it hack-free to another person.

6. Skiller
    OP

Member Skiller GBAtemp Regular

Canada

Thanks for the info .. i was only asking since i was testing something on a game lol [​IMG]
    so mainly i will lose only HBC whitch i can Reinstall