Wii stops recognising every kind of disc?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Vulpix, Aug 27, 2007.

Aug 27, 2007
  1. Vulpix
    OP

Vulpix Newbie

My Wii has been running fine, but for some reason today my Wii got the dreaded DRE and after rebooting it, it stopped recognising any disc that I insert, both burnt and original game copies. After doing a thorough search, one suggested to unplug the power cord and leave the Wii alone for a few hours...

For some reason it worked, but it didn't solve the issue. The same problem came up again, and through the game I got the DRE error yet again. So...

1) Is this a soldering problem?
    2) Do I have to mess with the potentiometer?
    3) Or is it something else?

Some help would be appreciated... [​IMG]

2. Raisingod

Member Raisingod GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    Eject the disc shutdown your system ( red LED) and never shutdown with a backup disc inside the console again [​IMG]

3. tonybied

Newcomer tonybied Newbie

United Kingdom
    What a pile of poo, i have shut my wii down with a copied game in it hundreds of times. I'd say something has happened to your install, take it apart and just check it over make sure nothing has come loose.

4. Vulpix
    OP

Vulpix Newbie

I've checked whatever I could, but I have no clue what else I should check. The solder points are fine, and everything looks in place... I will get another wiikey replacement and see if it's what I suspect...

5. pnut

Member pnut GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you have WiiConnect24 on and always running? I heard that the heat may overheat the chip and/or GPU.

6. Vulpix
    OP

Vulpix Newbie

Nope... I never had it running.

7. HisshouBuraiKen

Member HisshouBuraiKen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm finding myself having this same problem...any ideas? Everything worked fine until I tried to boot Metroid Prime 3, got a black screen w/error message and now NOTHING gets recognized.

8. sasuke_kun12

Member sasuke_kun12 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Oh oh! is metroid a backup? if so have you patched that back up? also is your firmware to 3.0?

9. Vulpix
    OP

Vulpix Newbie

Bad news for all those with this problem. After resoldering the original piece, nothing worked, but when I replaced it with a new one, my Wii started working fine again.

I have no idea how it died in there, but it did...

10. Hanayaka

Newcomer Hanayaka Newbie

United States
    I'm running an NTSC Wii with WiiKey. My Firmware is at 3.0. I tried inserting Mario Party 8 and got the following error:

An error has occurred please press the eject button and remove the game disk.

The text is white on a black background.

At first I believed that it was a bad burn, so I burnt 3 more copies at 8x 4x and 2.4x. I use Memorex DVD +Rs, which have never failed me in the past.

I only noticed Disk Read Errors after my update to 3.0 Firmware, and it is only on certain games. I can play Super Paper Mario and Madden fine, but I can't play Metroid Prime 3 or Mario Party 8. The Wii will load them in the menu and I can see the splash screen, but when the game starts it either immediately goes black or dies right after the safety strap warning, then presents me with the above error.

I know a lot of people are recommending opening the Wii, resoldering the Wiikey, checking connections, etc - But I feel too many people are getting this error and it is going unnoticed. I think Nintendo may have found a way to interfere with modchips.

I bought my Wii on release day if that helps.

I am going to test all my backups and original games this weekend and make a list of what is running, what isn't running, and what used to run.

**All above games mentioned were backups.

Not sure if this matters, but my WiiKey Firmware is v1.1.

11. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    another romour.. metoids update changes the disc speed of the wii ???

...."run the config disc, and sett the disc speed to the opposite of what you had, and then test your games.

if working again or not, try changing it back to x6 again"

...this may be worth a try

12. Hanayaka

Newcomer Hanayaka Newbie

United States
    I do notice a lot of clicking with MP3, I'll give it a shot.

Update:

Changed WiiKey drive speed to 3x. 9 Clicks and error screen.

Changed WiiKey drive speed to 6x. 7 Clicks and error screen.

Does not fix the problem.

Update: My MP3 (burned at 2.4x) will crash the Wii without even entering the Game Channel. The one burned at 8x will load up in the game channel but crash after Play Game is selected. Both error out the same way - An error has occured etc..etc....

13. Vulpix
    OP

Vulpix Newbie

I was too happy too early. My Wii doesn't work again... Same error all over again. Am I the only one suspecting the firmware doing something fishy with the Wiikey mod?

14. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    Well it would seem your only alternatives now is to tweak the pot or get a new laser assembly.

15. Bruinbaard

Member Bruinbaard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    might be that our lasers are breaking down way faster than normal?

16. Wuschmaster

Member Wuschmaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yup
    playing "backups" destroys the laser.

17. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    lol [​IMG]
    everything degrades the laser, all discs. That's why it's important you always use quality media as cheap discs srew yer laser up. Use quality discs and your laser will not degrade much more than normal