Wii stops reading all media... dead drive??

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by pro2oman, May 26, 2009.

May 26, 2009
  1. pro2oman
    OP

Member pro2oman GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    well i just noticed that my wii will not read any disks.... original or backups. i have a wiikey installed.
    any ideas as to why this may have happened?? i haven't use the drive for a long time now so not quit sure when this happen or what may be source of the problem this.

I recently installed 4.0... would the patched ios60 have anything to do whit it? or could the wiikey be killing the whole drive?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
    Pro2oman

2. Yyhhggtt

Member Yyhhggtt GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I recommend installing BootMii as your boot2 before trying anything,

3. pro2oman
    OP

Canada
    already have:)
    but any ideas as to why this is happening? would it be hardware or software?

4. Yyhhggtt

Member Yyhhggtt GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hmm... Have anything got into the drive? Your driver's eye might be dirty... Send it in to a place that fixes CD drives, I doubt it is a software fail.
    EDIT: Woops, I thought you just tried CD's, then I don't know, do any softmods at all? That failed?

5. syst3merror

Member syst3merror GBAtemp Regular

United States
    good thing about the current wii scene is, even if the dvd drive IS dead, you can always switch to using the ISO loader and still have a working wii. [​IMG]

6. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    Hey my drive wasnt reading anything either NOTHING, but i bought a wii lens cleaner and it worked like a charm, I didnt think it would be that I thought my drive was dead too but i cleaned it and it still works fine

7. pro2oman
    OP

Canada
    well soft bods (usb loader works fine other the some bugs with some games)
    as to the lens cleaner... does it have to be the "Nintendo wii" lens cleaner or will any did cleaning disk work? don't want to end up dealing more damage then there is already [​IMG]
    thank you

8. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    yes unfortunately it does, i tried a regular dvd cleaner and no luck, the wii one is strange its plastic with a tab on it and a huge cleaner pad. you put it in and move it up and down it kind of scrubs the lens, mine was dirty as hell. But I tried 3 different lens cleaners and none worked, i was starting to think my lens was dead, but i finally spent the money on the wii cleaner and after one run it has worked fine since.

9. pro2oman
    OP

Canada
    i guess i'll give it a try... although i don't think that is the problem in my situation.
    after playing around with it i noticed that sometime the drive goes in to a kind of "loop" trying to read the disk and then gives a error and other time it just stops and shows that normal dick can not be read in the dick channel.

10. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
  11. Idroy

Newcomer Idroy Member

Netherlands
    I have the same problem i think. Every time i boot up my wii with a game disc the drive, the drive spins, slows down, spins again than stops and give me the eject disc, turn off wii error.

I can play through backup launcher though.

I thought at first it was the software so i downgraded to 3.2E etc, but that didn't do the trick.

I've a WiiKey (1.9s)

Could it be that my lens is also dirty? or that my WiiKey died?

12. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Most likely the Wiikey is defect, "died" or it's possible that only one of the cables have no more contact

13. Idroy

Newcomer Idroy Member

Netherlands
    It doesn't read original discs either, it also gives me eject error if i put in the wiikey update or config discs.

Alright then i will check my WiiKey then

14. caleb4god

Newcomer caleb4god Member

United States
    had a very similar problem with my original wiikey on a 3.2u setup. what happened to me was a bad flash on the chip after changing the wiikey settings. after a reboot the drive wouldnt read anything for months, backups or originals. i fixed it by running the wiikey setup disc through one of the many backup launchers. i think it was backup launcher gamma. you could also try launching the wiikey setup disc via sdboot. good luck. a little trial and error may save your drive.

15. pro2oman
    OP

Canada
    thanks for all the tips i'll see what i can do when i get back from school.
    now that i think about it something like this did happen to me before.... but i think i fixed it with just using the wiikey recover disk although it done seem to be working this time around.

just tried to lead a games with a neoGamma loader ... something like dvd error 352
    what do you think?

16. pro2oman
    OP

Canada
    would having installed ios 60 (patched) have anything to do with the probably of the drive not working.... I'm guessing not as it doesn't work in loaders and the loaders don't use ios 60 correct?

17. SublimeAndEtc

Member SublimeAndEtc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It sounds like the Wii Cleaner is what you want in this situation, tbh. Your argument there actually makes it sound more like the case. I advise picking some up.

18. pro2oman
    OP

Canada
    well it turns out that wasn't the problem after all.... after "lightly" hitting it a bit [​IMG] it started working .... guessing it was something with the wiikey wearing... looks like I'm going to need to reopen it and fix it up... but think of getting of getting one of the cleaning kits anyway.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions [​IMG]

Pro2oman

19. SublimeAndEtc

Member SublimeAndEtc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    lol if all else fails, smacking it is a solid solution [​IMG]
    A cleaning kit would probably still be a good idea, but I'm glad you're up and running again!