Wii Sports HD with online multiplayer announced

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by WatchGintama, Sep 18, 2013.

1. WatchGintama
    OP

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    [​IMG]

VIDEO

Wii tennis pro eSports confirmed?

Source

2. Dork

Dork Newbie

thx ninty

ßleck likes this.
  3. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Your source link didnt work but i was reading about this here and if what im reading is true, they are charging £9 for EACH game that originally came free with the wii and included all 6 games. Actual quote below:

If you download Wii Sports Club you get a trial pass so you can play any available games for a 24-hour period from when the Wii Sports Club game is started. Once the trial period ends, you can buy a Day Pass from the eShop for £1.79 to play all the available sports for a 24-hour period. Or, you can buy permanent access to individual sports for £8.99 each.

Nintendo are just getting ridiculous now and clutching at straws, i love the actual idea of bringing an online version of these games coz i for one would love to play online a couple of casual games of tennis or bowling but charging £9 for each game is reaching new levels of greed and desperation.

VMM likes this.
  4. WatchGintama
    OP

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    I updated the link. Also, I don't mind paying $10 for just Wii Tennis. That's all I'm interested in anyway.

5. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Not only did this not really need an HD remake, $10 a game is ridiculous, online play or no. Even $10 for the whole set would be pushing it, considering the original was essentially a free game.

6. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I thought, "no freakin' way"; this sounds awesome. The fact that they're charging some money per game sounds kind of like Microsoft with their DRM. It's a shame people won't be as vociferous about this as they were about that... I'm still waiting for a Paper Mario U game, btw. And a God of War type Mario game. And maybe even quality versions of Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion and X-Men: Destiny. All of these would get me excited about getting my Wii U :)

Maxternal likes this.
  7. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Eh, I think it's pretty neat. I wouldn't mind paying 30$ for three fun casual online games.

8. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    $20 for Online Tennis and Golf sounds cool to me.

A quick heads up, Wii Sports was bundled with Wii's in every area except Japan. I think I read that Nintendo sold at least a Million copies of it in Japan for 4800yen. Knowing that, this is a pretty smart move, I think.

9. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Still I think a $10 tech demo that was boring as shit is not really worth it.

10. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    My first impression, too, was just "meh" ... but then just looking at that pic and seeing those handwritten speech bubbles, the online concept of this actually sounds pretty fun (in a very casual way).

You know all those people that bought a Wii and then never bought another single game. This was the reason they bought a Wii, for Wii Sports.

I know it's probably not totally accurate but the first image that comes to mind is of people swinging their gamepads to play tennis. Silly but effective, I guess.

WatchGintama likes this.
  11. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Nintendo has its killer app.

Watch your shit, Sony and Microsoft, because Nintendo only likes one kind of sport... blood sport.

T Link7, ekko25, Ammako and 1 other person like this.
  12. WatchGintama
    OP

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    I added a video. It looks fun.

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Look, Nintendo's trying. They're giving the HD treatment to one of the Wii's best-selling games*... :yayu:

* ...since it was bundled with most systems outside of Japan, so by proxy you had to own it whether you wanted to or not. [​IMG]

Maxternal likes this.
  14. BrightNeko

BrightNeko Popcorn ball

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    Texas
    Would have been cooler to explore wuhu island :<

-edit-
    On foot, with in game time shifts, and actual distances and goals.. >_>

15. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Austria
    I don´t like wii sports because I hate motion control. But for the people who loved this game this could be great. The online function seems to be good and maybe the improved control with the romote plus is great, too. After testing the game for free, I think that many people will decide that it`s wort the 9.99.
    I hate micropayments and I hate to see that Nintendo is starting to do this with this 24h pass. The good thing is that you have the choice to pay the 9.99.

16. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    Is this like the game in the E3 wii u demo with the sports game?

17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    There's something in the video that isn't mentioned in the OP: it's only about Tennis and bowling. Fans of golf, baseball or boxing are out of luck (at least for now).

It's a tough call on whether this will be successful. They sure added a lot of features, but I feel video chat while playing is a must-have feature (christ: you HAVE a gamepad that can both record your living room and display the one on the other side...make freakin' use of it already!).

I'm not sure on the price either. Sure, they're polishing things up nicely...but why would people pay when they can just insert the wii sports disc and play it that way? :unsure:

18. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    "Each sport will be a downloadable title for $9.99 in the Wii U eShop."
    So that's $50 if it only has as many titles as the original, but if it has the 12-game variety as Resort...

19. Novice

Novice Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2013
    United States
    This is cool but how about they do something similar with Go Vacation?

20. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    nice find. i just hope the wii sports bowling glitch is not in there from the old wii sports 2006 my Friend i use to know IRL did that all the time vs me...