GBAtemp 台灣人
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
The Wii Speak peripheral is likely being discontinued.

Several retailers, such as Amazon and GameStop, no longer offer the microphone new online, but others still have some remaining stock available in-store. IGN reached out to Nintendo for comment on whether or not the Wii Speak mic is still being manufactured and company said it will continue supplying the mic as long as there is a demand for it.

"The Wii Speak microphone is still available at limited retail locations," a Nintendo representative told IGN. "Additional shipments can be made if consumer demand increases."

Wii Speak allows players to chat with others online in an entire room. The microphone has been used in many titles to date, including Animal Crossing: City Folk, The Conduit and Endless Ocean: Blue World. However, other titles, such as Call of Duty: Black Ops and the upcoming Conduit 2, do not support the device.

Eric Nofsinger, CEO of High-Voltage Software and creators of Conduit 2, recently told Bitmob in an interview that Nintendo told the developer not to use Wii Speak for the shooter. High-Voltage instead went with the licensed Headbanger Headset from Performance Designed Products.

"Honestly, it boils down to this: the firmware required to support the PDP headset is incompatible with Wii Speak," Nofsinger explained to IGN when asked for clarification. "We had to decide which one device to support. Sadly, we knew either route was likely to tick off some of our fans. So, we chose to support the best option for gameplay. And at the end of the day, the headset peripheral is more in line with what we believe our fans and first shooter players want/expect."[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really surprised, the Wii Speak was a pretty shitty peripheral. Standard headsets are so much better. You'll probably see games drop it altogether and go with that new headset out (the one that's supported by Black Ops).

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the ball IGN! This was reported last month, Nintendo said they were still doing them.

Not like anyone cares.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not like Nintendo made any first party games that used it besides Animal Crossing: City Folk....

So, no loss there...

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bladexdsl said:
seen this coming but now that cod has it's own mic maybe we'll see it allowed to be used in other games.
That may be the case. Well I hope it will be the case.

Was pondering on getting one many times but I've heard the sound quality of it and man, I wasn't impressed at all.

I do hope that the COD mic will be wireless sooner or later since having the long wire tangled all around the place would be a nuisance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool