Wii Solder Mess Up

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Rather Dashing, Apr 9, 2007.

Apr 9, 2007

Wii Solder Mess Up by Rather Dashing at 6:57 PM (1,480 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Rather Dashing
    OP

Newcomer Rather Dashing Advanced Member

United States
    I tried soldering my wiikey to my wii and lifted the one serial port pad that you aren't supposed to solder to. I accidently layed my iron on it and now its just a black spec. Is my wii destroyed? I put it back together somewhat and hit eject and i heard some motors but the disc wasn't ejected. Do I need to put the wii back together some more? Is that solder point necessary? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

2. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    Well the question is, did you burn one of the 'arteries' of the board.
    If it burned through it, you're only option is to buy a new Wii or Google for a How-To about fixing arteries on the board.

I've done it before with my old Xbox, it didn't work after though.
    But at least it looked as if it was going to work [​IMG].

(This involves some special plastics and special paint.

Good luck!

Q~

3. Rather Dashing
    OP

United States
    doesn't look like i burned the artery. Just looks like i lifted the solder pad. I'll put the wii back together fully when i get home but if it was totally broken would the motor be making noise if i hit eject? Is that at least a good sign? Also its the one solder point the wiikey doesn't use so is it totally necessary for the wii to be operable?

4. taggart6

Member taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

United States

I don't see how a serial port pad would affect the eject function. i say put it back together and see waht happens. Make sure the plug for the face plate is pushed in correctly and all the way.

5. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you might have burnt a fuse with the heat, i dont know the detail, search the forums....

6. Nestea80

Member Nestea80 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    A friend of mine did the exact same thing ... the solder pad thing was totally lifted off .. and it was one of the ones the Wiikey uses ... but his Wii still works.

7. Rather Dashing
    OP

United States
    thanks guys. You gave me some hope while I'm at work. I'll put it back together tonight and keep you guys posted.

8. gingi

Newcomer gingi Member

Israel
    I've also managed to lift up a pad trying to install my chip, is there anything else I can do now except soldering directly to the Panasonic drive chip leg? That seems too risky. Is it possible to still use the area the pad was lifted of if I sand it down a bit?

9. hey_suburbia

Member hey_suburbia Do The Lizard Bop

United States
    Had the same problem, contact username: Takrin

10. geolyte

Newcomer geolyte Member

Germany
    i destroyed the "C-clock" soldering Pad while installing my Chiip, this pads are really sensetive...

Im still considering if i take the risk and try to sold it on the line, or the chips leg, or hope nintendo releases demos so i dont need a chip to test games [​IMG]

11. Rather Dashing
    OP

United States
    Just to keep you guys informed:

I put back the drive and it didn't work. Found out that some read arm on the side of my dvd had gotten knocked and pushing that back into place solved my problem (but took about an hour to figure that out). Now wii play works and wii sports doesn't so I called nintendo and for $20 are sending me a wii sports replacement. Now after my $30 mod chip and $20 game I'm going to be left with what i started with, an un modded console. I guess that showed me!! [​IMG]

12. HelloKitty

Member HelloKitty GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What kind of iron are you guys using?
    You'll have a hard time if its too hot, that might be why you are lifting up the pads.

13. dohclude

Member dohclude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    she's right. a 15W from RadioShack costs about $8 and is all you need. Don't go trying to use a big fat 50W Soldering Gun. You will burn all of the fuses and surface mount components as well as lift all the pads.