Wii shuts completely off after 45-60 minutes of gameplay.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by harry_merkin, Sep 14, 2011.

1. harry_merkin
    OP

Newcomer harry_merkin Advanced Member

United States
    Hi, I softmodded my Wii with ModMii. Well after playing a backup (backups only) for 45-60 minutes, my Wii will shut off. Lights and everything. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to turn back on. I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting this.

I don't think it's overheating, the vents and fans all look perfectly clear to me.

I'm using USB Loader GX with a 500GB USB Toshiba HDD. I can provide any further details upon request.

2. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    There are two reasons I can think about the wii doing this

a) you've installed some sort of malicious code on the wii that auto shuts down the console after set amount of time, this is unlikely as I've never heard of anything like this ever happening before with the wii.

b) Now I know you said the fans are clear but to me it seriously sounds like an overheating problem, there only one way to sort this open up the console check the heatsink on the processor and any other cooling systems implemented on the wii console (sorry not clued up on the internals of a wii) this is likely what the problem is. Working with electronics for over a decade if it isn't malicious code, I would look at the cooling system

3. harry_merkin
    OP

United States
    Well I hope I didn't install anything negative on it. Strange that this only happens while playing backups.

I just realized something though. I've been testing by playing SSBB for about 20 minutes and the back fan is off and hasn't turned on yet. The Wii is kinda warm. This is bad right? Would a fan like this one (http://www.amazon.com/New-USB-Cooling-Nintendo-Wii-Console/dp/B000PDHVMW/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1315958841&sr=1-3) help any?

4. yusuo

United Kingdom
    It would pump alot of air into the wii which might solve the problem, if your confident in what your doing you could prob replace the fan inside with a normal pc fan (again not confident with the internals) but if you can find a pc fan that fits and it will connect with the motherboard that would solve your problems, hey you never know the fan inside might not be faulty it may of just come loose, as I said if your confident enough to open the console I would look inside first, see if it can be resolved with no other spending required

5. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    The fan is supposed to be always on when the wii is on. As someone else said, the connector could have come loose, although rather unlikely. The fan could have died or some other hardware malfunction could have happened on the motherboard, all which is still unlikely but it has to be one of those scenarios.

Take the wii apart and check it out or find someone qualified enough to do it for you.

6. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    ie. DeadlyFoez, lol, he's too modest to offer his services, but he's always a backup option if you can fix it yourself, he can do that shit with his eyes closed and his hands tied behind his back

7. harry_merkin
    OP

United States
    I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver and I can't really afford to have someone repair the Wii.

Would buying one of those add-on fans fix the issue? Are they powerful enough? Any suggestions?

8. yusuo

United Kingdom
    The fan should resolve the problemit would keep the air flow going but again im not 100% sure

9. harry_merkin
    OP

United States
    Well I have absolutely no money to spend right now, so I won't be fixing this any time soon anyways. Once I get $6 to spare, I'll buy a tri-wing and a fan replacement. Until then, is there any way I can circumvent this? I read that using USB puts more strain on the Wii. Is there any truth to this? Why does it overheat after an hour of playing backups, but I can play GC games all night with no problem? Is it because GC games use that much less processing power?

10. yusuo

United Kingdom
    Yup GC games use less power.

When I have a dodgy fan on a pc I use a normal room fan directly pointed at the processor its a make shift solution and might not be applicable for the wii, but worth a shot lol

11. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    It would fix the issue, but thats a rather dirty way of fixing the problem.

One issue that might arise from using one of those is that then your hard drive might not get enough power for it to work since that fan is stealing some electricity from the USB ports and most hard drive are just barely getting enough juice from the USB port to run anyways.

It is possibly to use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the triwing screws, but I have seen plenty of people scrip the heads of the screws while trying to do that.

Buying a twi-wing screwdriver is cheaper than buying that fan, and truly fixing the issue is better than trying to do a crappy fix like that fan you linked to. But thats just my opinion.

In the long run, even just playing gc games, your wii is getting hotter than what it is designed for and will shorten the life of the wii drastically. Just look at what the damage wii connect 24 has done to some wii's, and thats with the wii not even doing much of anything at all.

12. harry_merkin
    OP

United States
    So buying a tri-wing and installing something like this would be a much better idea, right? I suppose I'll try and scrounge up $6.

13. yusuo

United Kingdom
    You could make your own triwing screw driver, its what I do when I need to unscrew something I don't have a screwdriver for.

Its fairly basic to do, grab a biro, take out the ink and heat the end up with a lighter until it starts melting, while its still hot place over the screw and push hard and hold for about 20-30 seconds till it sets, don't move the pen at all.

I used this method to open my old ds so I know it works with triwing screws

And the fan thing, if its on a seperate power point it shouldnt effect the hard drive, but its not an ideal solution, its one I use for diagnosing pc problems if I don't have parts around

And yes that fan (in the post above) will solve all your problems, replacing fans is easy its just a plug

14. yusuo

United Kingdom
    Just a random thought, might not work but i don't see why it wouldnt.

If you dont want to open the wii, you could buy the fan above and attach it to the vent on the outside of the wii, it would only be a few centimetres out of place so I dont see how it would effect the system.

It would basically do the same job as the attachment you linked us to in your 2nd post

15. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    i replaced the cheap fan that comes with the wii. an added a second fan to the exhaust port (on the bottom). one points in(air flow). an one points out. i got both my fans from tigerdirect. the bonus is they look cool in the clear xcm case. cause they have the led lights.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=5399

16. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    You might not even need to replace the fan at all, but yes, that is the exact fan that is installed in the wii.

I personally would not go with any external fan solution at all.