Wii shutdown/blacked out.

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by GameJesus, Dec 20, 2006.

Dec 20, 2006

Wii shutdown/blacked out. by GameJesus at 3:17 PM (3,723 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. GameJesus
    OP

Member GameJesus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was exploring the weather channel yesterday which is pretty damn cool i must say then i switched and started making Mii's with my little cousin and then i clicked Wii home tab, and the screen went black, the remote could not turn on or off the machine, the reset or power button on the console would not work either. It was strange i had to pull the power from the outlet in order to fix it and it started up normally. I wonder if any1 has experienced anything similar to this

2. Onnichiwa

Newcomer Onnichiwa Newbie

Netherlands
    I just today had a similair experience. I was busy in wii settings. When I went back to the root menu, also a black screen. The only solution was the same as your's.

3. Helmut

Member Helmut GBAtemp Regular

France
    I had the same problem once. But I don't remember if it was while trying to return to the Wii menu or by trying to shut down the console. Anyway, it hangs on a black screen and I had to pull off the power plug.

4. Bizmat

Newcomer Bizmat Member

United States
    my screen has gone black a few times randomly, yesterday trying to update to get the weather channel the update froze didnt give me an error like it would if my internet was screwy so only solution was removing the power cord

5. neojei

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Happened to me. I put in Wii Sports, hit the Disc channel. The disc drive started, but it never got to the warning screen. Had to manually turn it off by holding the power button in for a few seconds.

6. Kiok

Member Kiok GBAtemp Regular

Jamaica
    Omg the same thing happened to me! First time today also

7. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    I just update my wii browser today and it hang up black screen went i try to turn it off..
    it didn't happen went updating wii weather channels.

8. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Once I was trying to use the browser hack, and it froze on the shop channel, and I couldn't turn it off using the power uttons or the reset button. I had to unplug the cord

9. azndragonguy115

Member azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    this happen to me when it was power off but had a green light and the disc kept spining

10. bubblejoe

Newcomer bubblejoe Member

Belgium
    You don't need to pull the power cord, just keep the power button pressed on the Wii to force shut down, like on the PS2.

11. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    This one time... we had a power cut at home while I was playing the Wii, and the thing just shut off! The screen went black! :'( Strange thing is my DS still worked!

12. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    Wow [​IMG] , that's some sci-fi shit!

Q~

13. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    this happened to me after viewing some random site on opera and some popup came up and the browser hung itself then black and nothing could be done...

other problems I've been having is when I return to the main menu and the controllers stop working, and nothing can be done to get them working again. I have to remove the power outlet and insert it again to make my controllers work again.,

14. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ehm beta testing [​IMG]

Have fun [​IMG]

15. joemontana

Newcomer joemontana Member

i had a weird error today. i left the console off for about 24h but the power cord was still on the socket (yellow light on).

next time i came back to the bedroom it was completely off - no power at all. i changed power socket and nothing. simply dead and wouldnt turn on.

five minutes later i was searching for the store phone number to start a complaint and my lady tried in another room and it worked. kinda random uh..

and now it's behaving ok.

16. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    What positions are you wiis in?

17. GameJesus
    OP

Member GameJesus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    laying flat for me but i decided to put it vertical because i don't want to deal with overheating problems

18. bryehn

Member bryehn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I find it heats up more when it's vertical, because one of the fans gets blocked. Only time mine's crashed is using Gmail in the browser though.

19. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Happened to my friends gamecube. Even though its not Wii, its electronic, and it could be that it surged / brown-outed.
    Or it could be that it overheated and its overheat protection kicked in. However, Nintendo things generally don't overheat. The last Nintendo thing i heard overheat was the N64, and i fixed that by removing the jumper pak cover. Will heat plague the Wii like the PS3?

20. 5kuzgib

Newcomer 5kuzgib Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    This happened to me earlier too.. though not in the weather channel.

Had to unplug the damn thing.