Wii shortage?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by TheNeck, Nov 18, 2007.

Nov 18, 2007

Wii shortage? by TheNeck at 5:14 PM (1,780 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. TheNeck
    OP

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The reason I ask, is I went to walmart by house yesterday and they had 3 of them. I havent seen that many Wiis at one place since the Wii came out last year. I almost got one, but i have no $ right now.

2. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    They pump out 1.8M units every 30days and they still can't keep up with demand even outside of the holiday run during and after Black Friday.

See they're ramped up 1.8M and it was a few 100K less in the past, and even on the ramp up they're short. So as it stands now they're on a rationing schedule where they gauge demand between NSTC, JPN-NSTC(and region), and the PAL areas. From that a % goes to each of the 3 sections of the world market and in each X units go to each retailer.

So yes, this holiday it will really blow once again for people trying to bag a Wii. It's quite freaky really because it's like the first system ever that never had a buying die off like normal after it's first few months of launch through a holiday. Usually it dries up in February until a big hit appears, but it didn't for whatever reasons you want to tack it up to, and now you're coming into the last 45~ days left in the year and it will only get worse. It's a good sign for sure for Nintendo and the system owners, but bad news for those who get screwed again this Christmas.

3. altijdwat

Newcomer altijdwat Member

Netherlands
    Here (read Holand) they are now in all toystores in the country no more problems.

4. stargurl

Newcomer stargurl Newbie

Belgium
    No problem here in Belgium, either. I was standing next to a full skid a few hours ago.

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Any place that would sell them here have notices saying that they have sold out of Wii's but they will have stock November 21st.

6. webjedi

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Still short in the USA. Target not selling any online and I was in Target last week and noticed no Wiis in the electronic section. And Walmart only selling a $677 bundle!!!

7. r1cky

Newcomer r1cky Advanced Member

Australia
    We've never had a shortage in Australia. The only console/handheld which I've actually see run out was the DS Lite. It was only for 1 week though.

8. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    All retailers near me have been sold out within half day (if not less) since launch. One reason why I imported a US one.

9. TanookiSuit

United States
    Well to be honest I don't look that often as I'm not a happy to go shopping type. But I will say this much at least. I tend to buy 1-2 games a month, and I poke into game/dvd new/resale, retail that have stuff like that, and others on at the least once a week. Outside of twice since launch when I've just wondered in at the right time to see someone sliding a credit card for a Wii I've NEVER seen one sitting on a shelf collecting dust...ever.

I live in the 14th largest metro city area in the states and we have a shit ton of stupid Gamestops, multiple Targets, a few Walmarts, places like Meijer, Circuit City, Best Buy, FYE, and others...never seen them. I see a smaller than other parts supply but always some in stock of both controller parts, and an abundance of games, but that damn console is always sold out.

I can only imagine those upset and longing for them do a good amount of call campaigning on Tuesday mornings when those weekly shipments arrive and just take an hour/day/half day off work and just go and stand around until the truck arrives sometime in the morning to get one. I know there also used to be those 'Find a Wii' tracker sites that hit on Target and a few others and gave location, shipment totals, and # in stock too...those still around?

10. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    The UK are having a shortage at the moment, loads of people bought a crap load of them and are trying to sell them at about £300 a piece right now.

I guess I'll wait until after Christmas to get mine.

11. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    There's piles of wii's overhere in finland. There was 25% discount and still there was like 30 wiis what i saw once and no one was buying them. What's wrong with you americans?

12. TanookiSuit

United States
    ^^We don't have an ample enough supply to meet demand, whereas they sent a LOT to europe and while they're going off shelves at a decent clip, it's just not an overkill draught type movement we have.

13. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    I guess they need Two Wiis.
    I have yet to see Wiis completely sold out until lately. I'm guessing it's those early Christmas shoppers.

14. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I was talking to a guy I know yesterday that works at PC World and he says that they aren't getting any more Wii's in stock this year.

15. -=ZeldaFan=-

Newcomer -=ZeldaFan=- Newbie

United Kingdom
    i heard you could go to amazon Germany and theres lots in stock

16. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I don't know why the wii is selling so well. Apart from wii sports and 1 or 2 other games, its not got anything on it thats worth playing.

17. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yes there is, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super paper Mario

18. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    You've only further proved his point. He said only a few other games. Give him a more in-depth list, that'll show'im. [​IMG]

19. yus786

Member yus786 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    here in the UK its really really hard to get wii's this xmas

thats why i have 2 modded and 2 unmodded ones here to sell before xmas [​IMG]

yus786

20. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    >_<

Super Mario Galaxy
    Medal of Honor Heroes 2
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
    Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
    Trauma Center: Second Opinion
    Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
    Wii Sports