Wii Shop Channel via Hacked Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kurt91, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Kurt91
    OP

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    I hacked the family Wii a while back, and only just recently started playing Skyward Sword (via USB). I remember hearing about this glitch that makes the game impossible to finish, and that Nintendo actually released something to fix the problem. However, in order to download the fix, I need to go on the Wii Shop Channel to get it.

I remember hearing something about how the Wii Shop Channel had an update or something that will brick a hacked Wii. Is that true, and if so, is there a way around it? I don't want to wreck the family Wii, since my entire family (except me) loves playing the Just Dance games on it, and they'd all be pissed if I did something that broke it.

I don't have a NAND backup, having tried when I first hacked the Wii and getting some message how there wasn't enough room on the SD card to do it. I do have a much larger USB drive now, but I'm not sure if I can do that to the USB instead. Without a backup, I want to be VERY careful not to do anything that can hurt how the system works.

2. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    First off, you need to make a NAND backup. It's your fail-safe. You'll need an SD card with roughly 524MB of free memory, so it has to be at least 1GB. You can pick up a Sandisk one (best compatibility) for a few bucks.

Second, you don't have to update your whole Wii just to update the Shop Channel. Use ModMii to download Multi-Mod Manager and the latest Shop Channel wad. Run MMM from your Wii and install the wad.

3. Kurt91
    OP

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    Well, I got the NAND Backup done. What had happened was that the original card I had used to hack the Wii was an incredibly tiny one, and I had forgotten to backup the NAND after getting a larger card. Still, it's done now, and I have the backup nice and safe on my computer.

I downloaded ModMii, and I'm looking through it now. I found where to download Multi-Mod Manager, but I can't find how to download the Shop Channel WAD. Any help?

4. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    It should be in one of the download sections, try using mod mii classic and go you should see the wad for updated wii shop channel. Is should be something close to wii shop v21 update wad.

5. Kurt91
    OP

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    The closest I can find is under "Channels", and it just says "Shopping". Is that it?

6. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    The update is also available with the NUS downloader.

7. Kurt91
    OP

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    Unless I misread it, that's the same thing as ModMii, the name just got changed.

8. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    ModMii is a all in one package to Softmod your Wii. It also uses NUS downloader to download the needed channels. It is NOT the same ;).

9. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

ModMii classic skin -> 1 -> SH -> D -> Y

Yes, Shopping channel is what you want.

10. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    It is actually called the Shop Channel, but the NUS Database refers to it as the "Shopping Channel".