Homebrew Wii Shop and IOS51

Mr.kuchinawa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can anyone explain to me exactly what Wii Shop and IOS51 installer is? Is it some sort of custom firmware? how risk free is it in your opinion?

Sorry if I'm asking about something dumb, I just want to be exactly sure what it is, since I haven't been keeping myself up-to-date lately..

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's an alternative to installing the new version of the 3.3 firmware update, which will block certain things.
At this time installing Wii Shop + IOS51 is only necessary if you want to access the shopping channel

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think there are games yet that absolutely need the new 3.3 firmware.
But if it's on the disc, you can skip it. Indeed with Gecko OS. Or MenuLoader, or StarFall (only if your menu is 3.2)
Or remove the update from the ISO before burning with BrickBlocker

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The October 23rd official Nintendo update installs IOS51 and also updates your shopping channel for you once the IOS51 is installed.
The official install blocks your wii from installing any more WADs and creates a lot of problems for anyone who is trying to use the gamma loader and even some DOL files.

The Wii Shop and IOS51 safe update is a modified version of that updated re-coded to enable the shop update and install a safe version of IOS51 onto your wii so as to avoid the issues you might wun into with dol and wad files.

The new Gamma loader seems to skip the update requests from what i can see (it does on mine anyway) so all i have to worry about is online updates which can be disabled easily.

Games still play without this official update and i dont think there are any that done play yet.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Mr.kuchinawa said:
Thanks, but what about games that require the latest firmware? Is GeckoOS the only solution?

this IS the last firmware, what the last nintendo update did is:

(1) patch ALL ios versions (except custom ones) to fix the signature bug used by hackers
(2) install the latest Wii Shop channel version
(3) install IOS51 which is required by this updated channel

this installer do (2) + (3) without requiring (1)
system menu has not been updated, it is still 3.3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.