Wii serial port

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Scorpei, Feb 24, 2007.

Feb 24, 2007

Wii serial port by Scorpei at 1:28 PM (1,833 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Scorpei
    OP

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    "First let me explain what this guide explains you to do; Erant's DVDtool uses the top-secret-serial-port on the Wii's drive. To allow for easy removal of the cable used by Erant's DVDtool or any other application that uses those solder points (many, if not all, of the currently available mod-chips for the Wii are drive-mods), I have attached a plug to those points and made that plug available at the outside of the Wii. That way the Wii can stay closed and the cable does not have to be soldered to the drive-board directly. Consequently one can also easily remove and reinsert the cable (or other hardware) while keeping the Wii closed."

Linky: http://wii.scorpei.com/Guides.html

[​IMG]

2. Sonic_Crash [NL]

Newcomer Sonic_Crash [NL] Member

Netherlands
    hehe, to difficult for me. I cant't solder so i just go to some modservice thingie for an wiikey. [​IMG]

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Nice work scorpei, wonder how long it will be until we start seeing "pre modded" Wii's doing the rounds a la PS1 and xbox era.

4. Scorpei
    OP

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    There was a german guy who did this too (started doing this at about the same time I did). He however included the reset-switch thing (disable feature) for cylowiz. Of course my guide is just a guide, you can do whatever you want, but the reset switch line is rather useless. As the switch doesn't do that much it can be done externallt (and by simply removing the dongle you disable the switch [​IMG]).

5. megatron_lives

Member megatron_lives GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks man i've just started working on this myself so this is very useful.

Incidently, you can find the files for use with this cable from http://www.eurasia.nu/index.php - just incase anyone wanted it.

Thanks again for the good work

Peace

6. Presto

Member Presto GBAtemp Regular

United States
    that awsome i want to do that

7. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    scorpei, you're some kind of genius. First the GC > SD, and this (for all i've seen) How do you learn about all this stuff? (I want to study designing, etc PCBs in college)

I NOMINATE FOR STICKY!

this is an excellent idea IMO, especially if you get a Wininja, and then get screwed to find out that there's an update where you need to resolder. This cleans it all up, solder once; and solder to a different board multiple times and plug it in. (not sure if that made any sense, but at least i know what I'm saying [​IMG])

8. Presto

Member Presto GBAtemp Regular

United States
    anyone know where i can get an extra case

9. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    hey, what did you use to cut the wii case open to make room for the serial port? Also, does this work with all modchips (would think it would),and which one is plugged in?

P.S.: Would using a D-sub connector work? I just like having that option to solder extra wires in case later on region free modchips need even more soldering points. (If they ever come out) 9-pin serial vs. 15 pin D-sub or does the D-sub intrude more on the inside than the serial? (i'm just talking about the port plugs)