Hacking Wii Serial Number

lobs123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Seems like I’m another idiot that got hit by impatience to try Super Paper Mario and now my Wii is bricked with that file that can't be found.

Spoke to Nintendo this morning told them i bought it the other day and it was already broke and the guy said i could send it back and I’d get a new one for £52.95. The guy said it was a rare problem but one that he had heard before and Nintendo aren't sure how it occurs (could have told him but thought better of it lol)

My question is: If i take the serial number sticker off the bottom of the Wii is there anything on the motherboard that will allow Nintendo to trace that unit as my original unit rather than a different one.

I can't take my WiiKey chip out (as some of the screws have cross threaded on the screw head) but I’m worried that because i registered the Wii with Nintendo when i bought it before Christmas that they'll know it's only ever been registered to me and that i didn't buy it the other day and that it MUST have been me that installed the WiiKey chip. Am i just being paranoid or should i be worried.

FYI - before you all start i know I’m an idiot and deserve everything i get etc etc, mod chips are the work of the devil blah blah blah

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmm sending a bricked DS back to Nintendo for flashme (software) problems, but sending back a Hard modded console is madness...It's ...SPARTA!

My thoughts, yes thats pure idiocy, thats like sending back a DVD that doesn't work to JB-HiFi with the Burned copied you made also inside the box (And yes before you ask, people do this type of dumb ass stuff, especially in movies rental places like Blockbuster)

NO! don't do it, your an idiot if you do and most probably will be caught/fined.

lobs123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah that's what i thought, hence the "just got it the other day" vibe i put to the guy at Nintendo. But i thought if i removed the serial number there would be no way of proving that i put that chip in there (unless there is another serial number on the motherboard).

Probably should try to get that chip out!

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure a fix will be released to the scene someday. It probably won't be easy to do, and you may have to send it to someone.

I'd just buy a new Wii in the meantime, and keep the bricked one around in hopes of a fix. Maybe even sell it on ebay as a bricked Wii with a semi-honest explanation of what happened (you could lie and say the mario game was legit)

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i sent my modded 360 to microsoft, no worries
biggrin.gif

they dont even open your system, they will trash it and sent you a new one...

lobs123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the advice guys, just feel such an idiot. Here in the UK it's so hard to get a wii (much like everywhere else i guess) and i've gone and manked mine, who knows when i'll be able to get a new one.

£52.95 seems like a good price to me to have a brand new wii, just concerned about the chip and the potential trouble i could be in if it gets opened...

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure a fix will come out in the scene, but it might be awhile. I'd keep the bricked Wii and try to buy a new one, if you can.

From what I've read, the shortages in Europe are worse than the US. Don't get me wrong, there's no way you'll stumble on one in the states, but judging by Ebay prices, Wii's are much more scarce in europe.

lobs123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure a fix will come out in the scene, but it might be awhile. I'd keep the bricked Wii and try to buy a new one, if you can.

From what I've read, the shortages in Europe are worse than the US. Don't get me wrong, there's no way you'll stumble on one in the states, but judging by Ebay prices, Wii's are much more scarce in europe.

I know you're right, it's the impatient fcuker in me that wants it sorted ASAP, much the same as the impatience i showed with Super Paper Mario...i'm sure there's a lesson here somewhere....hmmm

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

EddyB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
yes, i also removed the silver sticker that holds the dvd drive, and i soldered a wire on the dvd drive because i bad flashed it once.
then it gave 3 red lights and sent it back, and got a brand new one
biggrin.gif

Cool, i guess you send it to Nintendo BeNeLux? What where the costs?

Stripey_Horse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
pretty sure nintendo will soon figure out whats going on..

then again.. this latest spm problems make me think they have 1000 monkeys turning out all there code..(btw , homebrew wii code will surely give us better then 480p.. look at xbox media center. it does 1080i)

then again. then might find 1 smart monkey, that writes hamlet and good code

shonosuke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
yes, i also removed the silver sticker that holds the dvd drive, and i soldered a wire on the dvd drive because i bad flashed it once.
then it gave 3 red lights and sent it back, and got a brand new one
biggrin.gif

Cool, i guess you send it to Nintendo BeNeLux? What where the costs?

He was talking about his 360

Fulcaire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can either...

1. Take out the chip.
2. Buy a new Wii, and put back the controller, the bricked wii, and everything that came with the new wii in original packaging like it was when you bought it and return it.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
spare parts, hey least if you keep your old wii, when everyone's laser or drive starts to wear out you could always slap in a new drive. either that or pawn it off on ebay for parts you can get decent money like broken ds selling for so much, that is if you dont want to mail it off to nintendo

arthurkok2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
how did paper mario brake your wii

wow, can you not see the 21312380912809 posts on this topics?

EDIT: oh nvm, its YOU! the guy who post incredibly stupid and simple question about your problems without providing any information. and the guy who doesnt use comma, making your question incredibly hard to comprehend.

basically, SPM updates the Wii when it is inserted. the pal version of SPM is not released yet and so these impatient fc-uk (pal people) just ran the NTSC version on their system. The NTSC firmware upgrade can brick PAL wiis (some of them not all)...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb