Wii semi-bricked; no actions taken?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by codemastermm, Nov 24, 2011.

Nov 24, 2011
  1. codemastermm
    OP

Newcomer codemastermm Newbie

United States
    So I previously had my Wii soft-modded a year or so ago. Nowdays I don't really have time for homebrew so I decided not to worry about the mods anymore.

I went out and purchased Skyward Sword a few days ago, updated to the newest Wii system, and am already a few hours into the game since everything was running smoothly. I figured the update removed all my mods and so I was done with the whole deal.

Went to play a bit more today, turned on my Wii and now it's sitting at the Health & Safety screen, where I am unable to hit the A button to continue (no flashing text appears). I'm a bit confused since I haven't done any modding/hacks or anything fancy in months.

I found my old SD card and, for kicks, I put it in and started my Wii up; looks like BootMii is still installed and I can get to the Wii/Homebrew/NAND Channel which is a mixed blessing, I guess. I am not sure if there's anything I can do from this standpoint to fix.

Any suggestions or help? Thanks!

Edit: I think my system was on 4.3u - whatever the newest was, if that helps.

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Try re-syncing your Wii remote.

3. codemastermm
    OP

United States
    Just did that and had no luck. Thanks for the idea, though :)

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Do you have a NAND backup you could restore? If not, it sounds like re-installing IOS'es, mister. Who told you to update a Homebrew'd Wii in the first place?

5. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    probably the easiest thing is to just run modmii, tell it your wii is a virgin, and launch everything starting from HBC and boot into it from bootmii like you have found out that you can successfully do.

Edit: also, tell the wizard that you are on 4.2 and want to be on 4.3 so it will redownload it and have you reinstall it so you hopefully can clear out any bugs that there were.

6. codemastermm
    OP

United States
    I used DeadlyFoez's suggestion and basically re-hacked my wii completely by restoring a really old NAND backup I had. I created a NAND backup of the "bad" state to recover my saved games and restore the old NAND.

I was happily able to get it back to the Wii System menu and via Priiloader have blocked off any updates so that I don't expect it to brick itself anytime soon.

However, now an issue has arisen where I am attempting to restore my Zelda save and I'm unable to; it looks like it doesn't even have a data.bin in the folder, but has an interesting wiiking2.sav file. Any idea how I can go about getting my old Skyward Sword save from the "bad" NAND backup?

Thanks!

Edit: I'll make a new topic about this, since the subject is changing drastically.

7. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    You can use this:
    http://gbatemp.net/t310390-nand-gamesave-restore

to convert your nand.bin to extracted "nand dump" format use either showmiiwads or giantpune's nandextract app

8. codemastermm
    OP

United States
    Perfect suggestion and actually the path I have walked already :)
    I extracted my save game, but it seems it won't install. I've noted a distinct lack of a data.bin from the NAND and in the extracted save, but an interesting wiiking2.sav file. I've made another thread about this, too, since the topic of the thread changed

Thanks for your help nonetheless!

9. XFlak

Canada
    depending how much u care about the save file u could do the following but it's a PITA:

-make new nand backup
    -restore old nand backup
    -backup savefile using wii data management menu (if it's copy protected enabled the priiloader hack to get around that) and also back it up using savegame manager gx (or similar tool)
    -restore new nand backup
    -restore game save (if u can't restore one of the types of backups u made, try the other ie. savegame manager gx vs. data management backup)

10. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    FYI, when trying to install the save game back onto the nand, will will have needed to play the game at least once before restoring the savegame will work.

11. XFlak

Canada
    yup, I forgot to mention that! I think savegame manager gx will even mark gamesaves that don't exist on the real nand with an X or something to indicate that the gamesave cannot be installed until the game has been played at least once.

it could be worse though, the wii's data management menu not only requires the game have been played at least once, but it requires you manually delete the save from the real nand before copying a gamesave from an sd card

12. codemastermm
    OP

United States
    I was thinking about doing this, but then remembered that my NAND backup that would have the Zelda save was when I couldn't get into the Wii system menu (stuck at health/warning screen, etc.). Would restoring it still allow me to use Priiloader or such to rip the save out, you think? Or would I have to devise another strategy?

Starting to sound like I'm stuck with a lost save, which is better than a bricked Wii, but stinks nonetheless.

Thanks for your help so far guys :)