Wii seems to be asking me to update despite being on 4.3 already

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by BoxBoy, May 17, 2015.

1. BoxBoy
    OP

BoxBoy Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2015
    I've had my wii softmodded for some months now while retaining my ability to use online functions such as Netflix perfectly fine, but as of yesterday this has stopped being the case.

Roughly how it's played out is:
    • Attempt to launch Netflix, encounter an error that prompts me to ensure the network connections is established.
    • After verifying the connection is fine, my Wii prompts me to update my system - despite the fact that I'm fully up to date in everyway as far as I am aware.
    • I also got the code 11172 as part of this prompt.
    • Still can't launch Netflix after doing this several times and restarting my Wii itself.
    Additionally, some of my homebrew programs have stopped working - my emulators cannot detect any games, my USB Loaders freeze if I try to launch certain backups, etc. Though this may be due to my SD card/external HDD encountering issues rather than a problem on the Wii's end, so I intend to examine both later to see if any of my files have somehow become corrupt on them before jumping to conclusions.

Anyone know what might be a solution to the Netflix issue though? Is updating liable to brick my Wii - keeping in mind I have PriiLoader installed, a NAND backup, and the other standard precautions already taken?

I really have no clue if the supposedly needed update is what's causing my issues with Netflix, or what may be the problem.

2. Eddarix

Eddarix Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2015
    I'm not quite sure what exactly your problem would be when it comes Netflix; there could be many reasons to why. Perhaps it's your WI-FI or even an IOS issue (plausible). Did you ever get an error code upon booting up Netflix? Are you successful in connecting to other online features for the wii (that haven't been discontinued)?

Code 11172 indicates a successful connection test to your wireless network. Whenever you reconnect your wii to Wi-Fi -- it will always prompt you for an update, regardless of your wii's firmware being up to date or not. I personally wouldn't recommend accepting this update; it may lead to some issues with IOSs.

If you're having issues with booting up games via USB loaders, homebrew apps not loading, and emulators not detecting your external memory -- then it's very likely you have some stubbed IOSs. However, make sure to examine all files/data on your SD and USB device for corrupted files, too. I would recommend using an app on homebrew for checking whether or not you have stubbed IOSs (hopefully you could boot it).

Here's a pretty good version: http://www.hacksden.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=149

If you run into these 5 stubbed ISOs, don't fret, they're the outdated/useless ones:

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
    IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
    IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
    IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
    IOS51 (rev 4864) Stub

Please list any errors or stubbed ISOs that you may get. If you do happen to find some other stubbed IOSs -- you'd have to re-install a few things.

Also, updating your wii's firmware would not fix whatever issue you have with Netflix, it's up to date.