Hacking Wii seems to be asking me to update despite being on 4.3 already

BoxBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had my wii softmodded for some months now while retaining my ability to use online functions such as Netflix perfectly fine, but as of yesterday this has stopped being the case.

Roughly how it's played out is:
  • Attempt to launch Netflix, encounter an error that prompts me to ensure the network connections is established.
  • After verifying the connection is fine, my Wii prompts me to update my system - despite the fact that I'm fully up to date in everyway as far as I am aware.
  • I also got the code 11172 as part of this prompt.
  • Still can't launch Netflix after doing this several times and restarting my Wii itself.
Additionally, some of my homebrew programs have stopped working - my emulators cannot detect any games, my USB Loaders freeze if I try to launch certain backups, etc. Though this may be due to my SD card/external HDD encountering issues rather than a problem on the Wii's end, so I intend to examine both later to see if any of my files have somehow become corrupt on them before jumping to conclusions.

Anyone know what might be a solution to the Netflix issue though? Is updating liable to brick my Wii - keeping in mind I have PriiLoader installed, a NAND backup, and the other standard precautions already taken?

I really have no clue if the supposedly needed update is what's causing my issues with Netflix, or what may be the problem.

Eddarix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not quite sure what exactly your problem would be when it comes Netflix; there could be many reasons to why. Perhaps it's your WI-FI or even an IOS issue (plausible). Did you ever get an error code upon booting up Netflix? Are you successful in connecting to other online features for the wii (that haven't been discontinued)?

Code 11172 indicates a successful connection test to your wireless network. Whenever you reconnect your wii to Wi-Fi -- it will always prompt you for an update, regardless of your wii's firmware being up to date or not. I personally wouldn't recommend accepting this update; it may lead to some issues with IOSs.

If you're having issues with booting up games via USB loaders, homebrew apps not loading, and emulators not detecting your external memory -- then it's very likely you have some stubbed IOSs. However, make sure to examine all files/data on your SD and USB device for corrupted files, too. I would recommend using an app on homebrew for checking whether or not you have stubbed IOSs (hopefully you could boot it).

Here's a pretty good version: http://www.hacksden.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=149

If you run into these 5 stubbed ISOs, don't fret, they're the outdated/useless ones:

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864) Stub

Please list any errors or stubbed ISOs that you may get. If you do happen to find some other stubbed IOSs -- you'd have to re-install a few things.

Also, updating your wii's firmware would not fix whatever issue you have with Netflix, it's up to date.

MajesticHellium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just update? Or turn off your Wii after it asks you to update.
It won't happen anything though.
I got it last year and I just took out the SD card, did the update (which I'm pretty sure did nothing) and put the SD card back in and everything was fine
i just it removed it but it says the same thing. was it supposed to and did you tell me to update it? Also after I pressed yes it said it may be inoperable of I have any modifications which i don’t remember if I do or not. I remember installing homebrew but its no where to be found on my console. The only place i could see it being is an empty spot in my sd card where it could have been previously. If you were confused about my question just tell me the part you were confused about and i well try to explain it better

MajesticHellium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use modmii, it will make sure your mods are up to date, and help u install priiloader and block updates
are you asking me to download it? Because if I have any thing like that downloaded the update prompt said my wii may not work if i have anything like like that

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@MajesticHellium

I meant that, if you are on 4.3, and you have your Wii already Hacked, and for some reason it asks you to Update (when setting up a Router or maybe with a Game Disc) if you update it won't happen anything.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
the update prompt said my wii may not work if i have anything like like that
No... trust me... it literally won't happen anything.
You're a bit paranoid about these Prompts, they're made to scare the user from modifying their consoles.

Homebrew has the chance of turning your Wii into a Brick, which is why these prompts says that your Wii may not work if you attempt to modify it. But you have to be really unlucky for something like that to happen (or install something fishy onto it)

MajesticHellium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're a bit paranoid about these Prompts, they're made to scare the user from modifying their consoles.

Homebrew has the chance of turning your Wii into a Brick, which is why these prompts says that your Wii may not work if you attempt to modify it. But you have to be really unlucky for something like that to happen (or install something fishy onto it)
So am i connected to the internet?

MajesticHellium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So am i connected to the internet?
I looked at a youtube tutorial on how to download homebrew and the way he did it requires an internet connection. Is there another way to get it that wont corrupt or delete data on my wii because its very old and has a lot of progress that i want to hopefully transfer to hombrew and play with it on there.

MajesticHellium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

sorry for all of the questions most youtube tutorials dont answer mine so im asking here

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I looked at a youtube tutorial on how to download homebrew and the way he did it requires an internet connection. Is there another way to get it that wont corrupt or delete data on my wii because its very old and has a lot of progress that i want to hopefully transfer to hombrew and play with it on there.
Well...

if you have an SD CARD lying somewhere, you can insert it... and go to the Wii Settings -> Wii -> Save Data -> Copy each individual data to your SD CARD.

But hacking the console (if still you haven't) won't delete anything at all.

And never ever follow fucking YouTube video tutorials.

Use this instead and follow the steps: https://wii.guide/

MajesticHellium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well...

if you have an SD CARD lying somewhere, you can insert it... and go to the Wii Settings -> Wii -> Save Data -> Copy each individual data to your SD CARD.

But hacking the console (if still you haven't) won't delete anything at all.

And never ever follow fucking YouTube video tutorials.

Use this instead and follow the steps: https://wii.guide/
thank you so much i well go do that now

Reactions: JuanMena

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
thank you so much i well go do that now
Good luck! It's a fast process. I recommend you to follow the LetterBomb Hack. All you need is an SD Card and a laptop to enter your Wii Mac Adress in order to hack it.

Also, don't forget to install PriiLoader and BootMii (doesn't matter if you can't install it as Boot2) And once you're done, hightly recommend you to make a NAND Backup. All of these guides are in the site I posted,

After that you can do whatever you want.

MajesticHellium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good luck! It's a fast process. I recommend you to follow the LetterBomb Hack. All you need is an SD Card and a laptop to enter your Wii Mac Adress in order to hack it.

Also, don't forget to install PriiLoader and BootMii (doesn't matter if you can't install it as Boot2) And once you're done, hightly recommend you to make a NAND Backup. All of these guides are in the site I posted,

After that you can do whatever you want.
I just finished it I did the top method through the dns thanks for the link. I also wanted to ask a question. can I download games on my pc and upload them to homebrew to play. I was trying it on dolphin emulator but my pc isn't very good at running it.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just finished it I did the top method through the dns thanks for the link. I also wanted to ask a question. can I download games on my pc and upload them to homebrew to play. I was trying it on dolphin emulator but my pc isn't very good at running it.
Yes you have two, maybe three options to do so.

The first one is USB Loader GX, that will allow you to load Wii Games from USB drives. That either be regular USB Sticks or Hard Drives.
If using USB Loader GX, you'll have to format it to a WBFS format in order to use the games in WBFS format.

The second one, and my personal favourite, is to use Configurable USB Loader.
This one allows you to load Wii games from SD Cards.
Just place the games in wbfs format, and load them with CFG Usb Loader.
I find this one much easier to use.

The third one is to use WiiFlow... but I don't know how to use it and I will never learn how to use it. It's too much trouble for what's worth in my personal opinion.
About USB Loader GX, I don't use that neither because I don't use USB drives.

If I might recommend you something, is to use CFG USB Loader.

Last edited by JuanMena,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night