Hacking Wii SDK

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZombiePosessor said:
Lets say I had the Wii SDK. Am I allowed to talk about it here? If so, what can I do with this as far as custom banners?

Does this SDK happen to include Gcube? If so, it's not the Wii SDK, but the Gamecube one.

Most of the tools used to make custom banners come from a third party now. Just check the sticky about making banners.

ZombiePosessor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
ZombiePosessor said:
Lets say I had the Wii SDK. Am I allowed to talk about it here? If so, what can I do with this as far as custom banners?

Does this SDK happen to include Gcube? If so, it's not the Wii SDK, but the Gamecube one.

Most of the tools used to make custom banners come from a third party now. Just check the sticky about making banners.

Nope, doesn't have Gcube anywhere in it. Looks like its the real thing, judging from the folder names and whatnot.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZombiePosessor said:
Nope, doesn't have Gcube anywhere in it. Looks like its the real thing, judging from the folder names and whatnot.

Do you mind sharing it?

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
F the official wii SDK. don't go tainting the homebrew scene with that stolen crap. most likely it's a very outdated version anyway, and the latest hasn't been leaked yet. If you wanna write homebrew, get devkitpro & libogc, if you wanna make ur own banners, use the 3rd party tools mentioned, or help reverse engineer the format so better tools can be written.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jeklnoo said:
F the official wii SDK. don't go tainting the homebrew scene with that stolen crap. most likely it's a very outdated version anyway, and the latest hasn't been leaked yet. If you wanna write homebrew, get devkitpro & libogc, if you wanna make ur own banners, use the 3rd party tools mentioned, or help reverse engineer the format so better tools can be written.

Agreed... but it might be nice to look at.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
teq said:
jeklnoo said:

Agreed... but it might be nice to look at.

You can find it in emule just using the correct search keywords.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:

I prefer BitTorrent.... it's probably on there... I just haven't looked.

Is there anything interesting in it?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
jeklnoo said:

I know some programmers who have used the official SDKs for both Wii and DS.. they told me that the homebrew libraries around are much easier to use
tongue.gif

Also, once you get a Nintendo license to use their official SDKs (and produce games for them), you have to sign a contract where you agree to don't talk about it anywhere.. so, the only place where you can ask for help is a Nintendo official forum/mailing list.. on the other hand.. you can find information, examples and tutorials about homebrew in thousands of sites on the Internet.. much easier to get help is what I was told.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Talk, we talk about roms so I guess talk is OK (assuming you are not bound by a NDA or similar, that is more your problem though). I have not compared the two so I can not say whether one is better than the other but looking at what the people behind the homebrew stuff have done in the past (on similar systems) I can certainly see being up there with the commercial side of things.

Sharing: falls under the same idea as roms and stuff like ensata (the DS SDK emulator).
The same applies to stuff built with it (do you really want a repeat of the xbox with the wii) and format specs either copied verbatim or as derived works (you edit them and post them up).

Reverse engineering is where it gets a bit tricky as different laws and the like apply and French/Eu copyright law is as big a rats nest as the rest of the world, most of the more common formats are out there along with the useful data and from the isos I have pulled apart it seems devs use their own formats like they do on other consoles.

Everyone else answered the questions/provided necessary info.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
don't go tainting the homebrew scene with that stolen crap.
laugh.gif
often the homebrew SDKs wouldn't be as complete as they generally get without official SDK leaks - sometimes right down to register/function names. There are some things that just can't be gotten out of a reverse of anything but the actual SDK.

From the point of view of most, the homebrew toolchains will always be easier to use - they are designed (by many individuals instead of just a few) around the whole point that the systems security is fully compromised instead of a final binary being sent to be approved and signed by the console manufacturer - which frees everyone from any bugs or limitations in the official SDK (ie: on NDS the manufacturer provides the arm7 binary, while we can do essentially whatever we want with the CPU.) Doesn't really take into account the dissemination of information either, more people will know the ins and outs of the freeware SDK than the official one.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
teq said:
WiiCrazy said:

I prefer BitTorrent.... it's probably on there... I just haven't looked.

Is there anything interesting in it?

Well actually not much, I was curious about the metrowerks's c compiler and downloaded. Didn't use it it in the banner stuff. This sdk probably was one of the first points that reverse engineering was done in terms of software apis. So that could be interesting. for homebrew at the moment devkitpro does the job I think.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
exactly, it also comes with a handly full documentation which is still very useful

but to developp your own application, it is far more recommended to use libogc and devkitppc,
btw, by comparing function names between libogc and the official devkit, it's pretty obvious that nintendo got inspirated by libogc (or the contrary
wink.gif
)

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that gets me is that a lot of functions in LibOGC are still undocumented.

Maybe this sheds light on them?

After all, I'd assume Nintendo would be paying someone just to write documentation.

zeldarocks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering, can the Official SDK leaked be used for developing, or did the release group remove the tools necessary to actually use the SDK?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse