Wii SD card menu without system menu update?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Trace_hunter, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Trace_hunter
    OP

Member Trace_hunter GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm currently using system menu 3.2E (no idea why, could have sworn it used to be 4.2) and I'd like to use the SD card menu feature which I think was included in 4.0 but I might be wrong so as I don't have to uninstall and reinstall VC games. Is there anyway to get the menu without updating to whichever version it was included in?

The last thing I want is a brick or for something to stop working which is why I'm reluctant to upgrade

2. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    update with Modmii

3. Trace_hunter
    OP

United Kingdom
    kinda asking if there was any other way...

4. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    There isn't one. You need to update to 4.1. It is also in 4.0, but 4.1 has the latest features and bugfixes.

5. Trace_hunter
    OP

United Kingdom
    Does it run games that aren't from the shop channel? I heard there was a problem with that.

6. JoostinOnline

United States
    Only if you did an official update. ModMii will patch your System Menu IOS so it won't be a problem.

7. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

8. Trace_hunter
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok so how practical would it be to update the system menu with modmii, what's the best version to go to that won't brick my wii or screw up the homebrew channel or neogamma

9. JoostinOnline

United States
    4.1. Everything above that will only have negative affects.

10. Trace_hunter
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK thanks, just regarding mighty channels, if I installed that, why would I need sneek and I'm guessing that would mean I wouldn't have to updae (I don't actually understand what sneek does btw)

11. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

sneek - emulation sys menu

sneek redirects all NAND access on a Nintendo Wii to an SD card

12. Trace_hunter
    OP

United Kingdom
    why do I need it for Mighty channels? I have a fairly new NAND copy from bootmii which I could use with shomiiwads

13. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    It does? [​IMG]

Wait a second...Trace_hunter is talking just about the system menu here...not the entire firmware. Just installing the system menu with modmii is just a matter of selecting it, downloading it as a .wad file and using a wad manager to install it. Issues with the homebrew channel or cIOS249 (which affect neogamma) only happen if you update the firmware the official way. So if you're getting a new system menu...why not go for the latest?

An important warning with this: you DO need to have the correct IOS installed in advance to go with the system menu, or your wii will brick. I'm 99% sure that modmii also mentions this warning if you attempt to just download a system menu wad, but it deserves to be repeated.

system menu 4.1 -> IOS 60 needed (v6174...NOT v6400)
    system menu 4.2 -> IOS 70 needed (v6687...NOT v6912)
    system menu 4.3 -> IOS 80 needed (v6943 or v6944...at the moment, these are the latest versions)

source: wiibrew (check the links at the bottom there for more specific info)

@Trace_hunter: mighty channels is a way to run wiiware/VC in an emulated environment. Those games are installed and run on either SD card or USB drive. While installation is a bit more tricky, the end result is not that different from snes-gx or vba-gx.
    Sneek is the more advanced version: it is a way to emulate your entire wii on your sd card or usb drive (the latter is called uneek, but 'sneek' is the more common name). Reading writing, installing, savegames...everything is done on the emulated drive. The internal hard drive of the wii isn't used for anything. While this has the advantage that it is literally as safe as you can get (you CANNOT brick your wii on sneek even if you wanted to. At best, you brick your emulated nand...in which case you just remove a few folders on your SD card or USB drive) and also has 100% compatibility with VC/wiiware (mighty channels has about 95%), it is rather hard to set up and maintain. If you just want to run wiiware or VC from SD card or USB drive, then mighty channels is the way to go.

14. Trace_hunter
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for that, just so you know I'm pretty sure Nintendo have taken measurements which prevent the homebrew channel and other stuff in later updates, even if you update with modmii.
    Thanks for the explanation, I think I'll install Mighty Channels instead of updating or using sneek, seems easier.

Thanks again!

15. SickPuppy

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    That's what I was going to say, just install the system menu ios for your 4.1E, then install the system menu 4.1E.

done!

16. JoostinOnline

United States
    I didn't say the negative affects were major, but they do exist. There are zero improvements in 4.2/4.3. I say why go for the latest when you know it will only add limitations?

17. Trace_hunter
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the info guys, I did all the nand dumping and installed mighty channels and a forwarder and everything is working!

Thanks again!

18. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Can you explain what the negative effect with 4.2 is please.

19. JoostinOnline

United States
    With 4.2 I think everything has been worked around through Priiloader and updated apps, but it has more potential for bricks, and fewer brick recovery options. For example, if someone had a region changed Korean Wii, installing a non-stubbed IOS70 (not IOS60 in slot 70), they would get a bricked Wii. I don't feel like listing all of the possibilities, but I admit that they are quite unlikely to happen. I explained more of my reasons here.

Sure I'm a little paranoid, but I don't understand why everyone is so eager to update past 4.1 when they know it won't do them any good.

20. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Stick with 4.2 if you can OP. Bannerbomb exploit let's you install HBC anytime.

Install priiloader (latest), install the latest IOS 58 with dop-mii, re install HBC so it uses IOS 58. Then install the latest IOS 61 70 80 NON STUB and you would be able to upgrade with no problems.

Stick with 4.2 & do update system menu through DOP-MII (it'll check if the proper system menu IOS are installed and ask you to get them from NUS) I've done it a lot of times.

Since you have 3.2 you might be those with lucky boot2 bug (bootmii @ boot2). This should allow you to boot stuff even without a system menu installed... o_o (the best anti-brick proof you'd get)