Hacking Wii save files not working on HDD games.

AntoSchmohl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hello everyone! I have a little problem I hope you can help me with :(
So my Nintendo Wii was buried in the basement because we couldn’t use it, since the disk reader lens was not functioning properly, and most of the games were not being read correctly (yes, we tried buying the lens cleaner kit from Nintendo, didn’t work. So we are pretty sure it’s something else that’s wrong). But not long ago, we heard about HDD games you can play by hacking your wii. So we tried it out. We downloaded our old games which work perfectly fine now except for one detail: all our data was gone in every game except for Super Smash Bros Brawl. The game files are there if I look them up in the Game Console’s data, but they are just not working on the HDD games, we have to start from 0. Is there anything I can do? What happened? We didn’t mess around with the wii save file data when softmodding the wii, so I’m not sure why this is happening. Thank you for your time!!

p.s: there’s one more thing, the Mario Party 8 game has 2 save “blocks”. One from 2010 (I suppose my original save) with a candy icon, and another one with a headshot of the game host and his hat. (I suppose that’s my new empty save file). It’s the only game that has 2 “blocks” with different icons. What could have happened?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can change region with saves using some tricks with save manager gx, but it's kinda confusing to explain.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

another possibility is using emulation for saves. those saves are separate from the system's, but making an emunand should've backed up the saves as well. I'm not sure what happens if there's no emunand.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
you can change region with saves using some tricks with save manager gx, but it's kinda confusing to explain.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

another possibility is using emulation for saves. those saves are separate from the system's, but making an emunand should've backed up the saves as well. I'm not sure what happens if there's no emunand.
even if he were to use an emulated nand, the game save would still be for a different region and need to be converted (assuming again this is in fact the correction diagnosis if his issue)

Reactions: Alexander1970

AntoSchmohl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Thank you for your replies!’ Do you know maybe about a way I can check my games’ region? And after figuring that out, should I delete them and install the other region games? Or is it easier (or possible) to change the game’s region?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to change a game's region. in order to change saves, you'd need a save from the right region as save manager gx requires a save be on the system for that particular game first. it might be easier to download the right region game though.

AntoSchmohl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Thank you! I’ll try to find the right NTSC-U games then! Appreciate it Do you know if maybe playing on the wrong region games would mess up my original saves? Someone has been using the wii games creating new game files (starting from scratch ofc since it was empty) while I’m trying to figure this out!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"