Wii sales hit their lowest ever in the US

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii sold 172,000 units in the US during April – its lowest ever monthly total.

According to MarketWatch, sales of Nintendo's home console were down 40 per cent on March and 38 per cent on April 2010.

While the DS continues to hold up well, finishing second to the Xbox 360 in the monthly NPD charts, the 3DS had a rough time of it. The new handheld sold 194,000 units it its first full month on sale, well down on the 400,000 it managed in its debut week at the end of March.

In comparison, the Xbox 360 sold 297,000 last month, while the PlayStation 3 moved 203,000. DS and PSP tallies have not yet been revealed.

Last month Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata admitted that 3DS sales were lower than anticipated. He insisted that the demand for the system was high but consumers were just waiting for the right software to launch before opening their wallets.

As for the Wii, Nintendo will no doubt be hoping that a recently announced price cut will give it a much-needed boost in May.
[/p]

Source

It doesn't help that Nintendo is releasing jack squat for the system. I think any Wii game that we're waiting for is still "TBA" on the release date schedule.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not surprised as Nintendo is really just throwing out shovelware, but I find this disgusting, becuase they could release quality games or even just announce them for America (for both the Wii and the DS). Hell they could even prolong the life of the DS in America but no they're killing the DS and when their next console is out I assume they'll do the same to the Wii.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii sold 172,000 units in the US during April – its lowest ever monthly total.
As for the Wii, Nintendo will no doubt be hoping that a recently announced price cut will give it a much-needed boost in May.
[/p]
Really? Almost everyone (that is interested) has a Wii anyway

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, pretty much everyone already has a Wii that wants one, so it's no surprise. It's better that Wii started strong and died out at the end than starting weak and finally is picking up at the end.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's in that awkward point where the successor has been confirmed, but nothing about it has been released yet. People are putting their expectations on that instead and are slowly forgetting the Wii.

And not to mention the fact that all games being released now (in America at least) are total shit. If Last Story or Tales of Grace came here, it would easily shoot up. Skyward Sword and that new Kirby game should be helpful though.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How about they release a game for once instead of shit?
Or maybe localize some games? Maybe if they honestly treated their system like a video game console instead of a place to shit shovelware and other casual games on instead, then maybe more people would be more interested in it again.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
big n are keeping all the secrets for their next console this is how they always work they did it with the cube too a whole year of nothing than bamm they announce the wii.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
My wii is just sitting in my room to play whenever i feel like mario kart.
Still waiting for the new firmware to get a hack.
ot SmashStack Pal
So then i can get an ext harddrive and get millions of games
tongue.gif

I would buy Wii games but they are a bit expensive at the moment and i want some more PS3 games as i only have 2...
Noone i know has a 3DS and i haven't even played the 3DS...
The 3DS doesn't interest me as much as the DS did.
My DS broke :/
Probably going to give my R4i-SDHC to a friend...
Nintendo are starting to lose it.
Will they win our minds back at E3 when they show more in store for the 3DS and the Project Cafe.
Lol imagine how angry ppl would be if they anounced a 3DSi insteed of a Wii 2 XD

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FireGrey said:
ot SmashStack Pal
tongue.gif

I would buy Wii games but they are a bit expensive at the moment and i want some more PS3 games as i only have 2...
Will they win our minds back at E3 when they show more in store for the 3DS and the Project Cafe.
Lol imagine how angry ppl would be if they anounced a 3DSi insteed of a Wii 2 XD

Your Wii is fully hackable...Get up to date my friend.
Have you been living under a rock? lol.
Lots of options. Check out modmii.

ON TOPIC:
Yes, localization. All major jap rpg's. Even the obscure stuff.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hielkenator said:
FireGrey said:
ot SmashStack Pal
tongue.gif

Your Wii is fully hackable...Get up to date my friend.
Have you been living under a rock? lol.
Lots of options. Check out modmii.

ON TOPIC:
Yes, localization. All major jap rpg's. Even the obscure stuff.
I have 4.3 and i have no games compatible for exploit...

wii knee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii has been on the market for almost 5 years. It does what it does well. The fact that its had a long run, has only benefited us with our fun modding it. The competition has better accelerated graphics and has now jumped in with interactive control-less systems. The fact that the Wii2 is months away and will cause buyers to wait and game developers to direct their energies elsewhere. Simply put, the original Wii is reaching the end of a good, long and prosperous life.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Or maybe localize some games? Maybe if they honestly treated their system like a video game console instead of a place to shit shovelware and other casual games on instead, then maybe more people would be more interested in it again.

^this is why I haven't played even a single Wii game with any significant interest since the damn thing came out. Hurry the fuck up Christmas of 2012.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Totally agreed. Things need to change drastically with Project Café.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1