Hardware Wii RGB SCART cable with Wii U

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone here have an RGB SCART cable for the Wii they can test with a Wii U?
I have one with my existing Wii, and whenever I try to display an NTSC signal over it the screen is very red. PAL and PAL60 signals work fine, but a few games I can't force to run at PAL60 so I'm unable to use this cable with them. So I'd like to know if this problem can be remedied by using a Wii U.

Please note that I am specifically talking about an RGB SCART cable, not one which only carries a composite signal (typically used with a detachable block)
$(KGrHqF,!ksE2I6dSPbBBNvYbT(Phg~~_35.JPG

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does anyone here have an RGB SCART cable for the Wii they can test with a Wii U?
I have one with my existing Wii, and whenever I try to display an NTSC signal over it the screen is very red. PAL and PAL60 signals work fine, but a few games I can't force to run at PAL60 so I'm unable to use this cable with them. So I'd like to know if this problem can be remedied by using a Wii U.

Please note that I am specifically talking about an RGB SCART cable, not one which only carries a composite signal (typically used with a detachable block)
NTSC Wii games didn't have the RGB output - they support s-video instead. At least that's what someone said previously.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
NTSC Wii games didn't have the RGB output - they support s-video instead. At least that's what someone said previously.

I'm well aware of this being the case on the Wii, I was wondering about the Wii U.
So far I've been able to force PAL60 using USB loaders, which offers the same resolution and framerate but supports RGB SCART.
Ultimate Shooting Collection simply blackscreens when I try.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm well aware of this being the case on the Wii, I was wondering about the Wii U.
So far I've been able to force PAL60 using USB loaders, which offers the same resolution and framerate but supports RGB SCART.
Ultimate Shooting Collection simply blackscreens when I try.
It's still the same game, so it probably behaves the same.
Not all games can be forced to run in PAL. Try with VIDTV patch on/off.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's still the same game, so it probably behaves the same.
Not all games can be forced to run in PAL. Try with VIDTV patch on/off.

Yes, but the video encoder in the Wii U might be different so it might support NTSC over RGB SCART. Just a hope.
I've tried using the VIDTV patch on/off and neither works.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

the picture shows a composite cable with composite to scart adapter.. no rgb....

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try an S-video/Composite to RGB converter, but it's kinda pricey, and won't look as good as real RGB, I'm sure. But if you really want to play that game on that RGB only monitor, you might want to look into one.

(BTW, I don't know anything about that particular converter or that particular site, it's just what popped up in a googling.)

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You could try an S-video/Composite to RGB converter, but it's kinda pricey, and won't look as good as real RGB, I'm sure. But if you really want to play that game on that RGB only monitor, you might want to look into one.

(BTW, I don't know anything about that particular converter or that particular site, it's just what popped up in a googling.)

I'd rather not invest in scalers or additional cables. The TV I have can take composite through a passive adaptor like the one in the original post and I'm capable of playing it that way, but I'd much rather use RGB.

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Given how much effort you're putting into this, wouldn't it be simpler to just replace the TV for a cheap one with component, and perhaps HDMI?

Can I ask what CRT TV you're using - what size, is it 4:3 or 16:9? I understand if you want to keep it for retro consoles but Wii & Wii U games would look so much better even on a cheap LCD TV... especially if the TV you're using isn't 16:9.

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seriously, I really would like to know more about metroid maniac's TV and why (s)he isn't interested in getting one capable of 720p at the very least. Even Wii games will look better at 480p on it.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Seriously, I really would like to know more about metroid maniac's TV and why (s)he isn't interested in getting one capable of 720p at the very least. Even Wii games will look better at 480p on it.

I have several TVs, including a 1080p HDTV and a 480p EDTV CRT and another smaller CRT which I'd rather use for shmups since I can rotate the screen easily - this screen only takes SCART. I have Wii component cables for outputting 480p to the first two screens when I want to, but that isn't the issue here.

This entire thread is diverging far away from the original topic. I just want to know if the Wii U can output an NTSC signal over RGB SCART and if that isn't possible I'd like to know some way to patch my games to PAL60 which won't make them blackscreen when I try to load them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1