Wii return

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by rickf1018, Mar 5, 2008.

Mar 5, 2008

Wii return by rickf1018 at 1:52 AM (2,854 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. rickf1018
    OP

Newcomer rickf1018 Member

United States
    I had some graphic glitches on my USA with Wiikey so I called nintendo and they are sending out another wii. My question is can I just swap out the drive and send them back my wii with the graphic problem with the new drive that comes from nintendo?

Thanks

Rick

2. AT_Kuriboh

Newcomer AT_Kuriboh Newbie

Sweden
    won't they be able to notice that you have opened the Wii ?

3. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    If they do notice, they may charge you. In fact, they probably will notice, because the Wii they will be sending out will most likely have a D2C drive controller. Even if you could make it seem like you've never opened the Wii, they would be able to tell because of the different drive revisions. However, most likely they will not care about it and if you can make it seem like you've never opened the Wii, they won't be able to say anything because you can say you don't know what they're talking about.

4. rickf1018
    OP

United States
    I pretty sure they can't tell I open it, but I just wanna know if the drives will be able to switch them. I bought brocken one back in April and the one they are shipping me will probably have the D2C drive. Has anyone does this before...

Thanks

Rick

5. rickf1018
    OP

United States
    Has anybody tried this situation????

Rick

6. helba

Newcomer helba Advanced Member

Canada
    hi, um 90% chance they will replace the drive without problems. Who installed it for you?

7. rickf1018
    OP

United States
    I had someone professional do it, but i think I can just change the drive looks easy to take apart and put together. It will be here monday so I'll post if they the old drive works in my new wii...

Thanks

Rick

8. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    As long as you have the tri screw driver to open the wii, replacing the dvd drive would be no problem.

9. rickf1018
    OP

United States
    They sent me a new wii and I replaced the dvd drive with the wiikey and it worked 100 percent I even got another year warrenty on it....

I just wanted tolet everyone know.

Rick

10. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    The repair men userally has nothing to do with Nintendo other then they have a deal with them to repair thier products.

11. NoAlias

Newcomer NoAlias Member

Netherlands
    Interesting story. Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers,

12. Scoobos

Newcomer Scoobos Advanced Member

Not to rain on your parade, but I think you might be underestimating how hard it is to open and close a wii. I struggled like a bastard with the 3 I did, I you can tell I opened all of them - although they do get better with attempts [​IMG]

Didn't anyone else find it a real bitch to open and close? The modding was easy in comparison.

13. ChiGGz

Newcomer ChiGGz Member

Cambodia
    Let us know if you get any phone calls saying you owe them money!
    I have a wii with graphics problems (doesn't do 480P, causes random 1sec black screens)

14. rickf1018
    OP

United States
    I thought it was kinda easy taking wii drive out, just followed directions with pics and was very careful not to harm the stickers while removing them....It was a little time consuming but easy....took me about 2 hours to do both and switch the drives and put them back together.

This was my first time doing it....

Rick

15. Dakota76

Member Dakota76 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    hey just wondering did the new wii actually have the new dvd drive or was it an older version

16. Dakota76

Member Dakota76 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i decided to call nintendo cause im having problems with my wii and they dont do that no more
    darn figures i waited too long

17. rickf1018
    OP

United States
    Didn't really look if my new wii had the new dvd drive but the serial number on my new wii is lu513534818 my old one was lu310567910 if that helps. A few days ago nintendo sent me this

Hello, Thank you for your participation in the Nintendo Advance ReplacementProgram. We have received your non-working product and your creditcard will not be charged for the product that was sent to youearlier. We hope you are enjoying your replacement product and thank you foryour continued support of Nintendo. Sincerely, Nintendo of America Inc.Consumer Service Department

btw now when I play Resident evil 4 there are no graphic glitches.....

Thanks

Rick

18. tpformbh

Member tpformbh GBAtemp Regular

Panama
    In the UK mine went to an official repair place who didn't respond to my letter of complaint, but seemingly fixed the wii (though i got a repair note back with it without any changes I could see)

But when i went to get it modded, the chap knew it had been opened before without me telling him? So read that as you will

19. Dylaan

Member Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    ^I know when I opened up a Dreamcast I found, you could tell it'd been opened before, simply by the fact the screws came out with plastic dust/fibres on them. (I guess this happens when you open and close it a few times and it wears down the plastic)