1. SocialPermaDeath

OP SocialPermaDeath Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey, so I'm a repair technician and we got a Wii in today with "disk drive issues." It can only sometimes read the kinda scuffed up disks the client dropped off with it so we tried a more pristine disk that we had lying around. It was able to read the disk just fine but once I clicked start the Wii reset itself to the home menu. I've seen this problem happening before but only with hacked Wiis that have had IOS files deleted and I don't see any homebrew channels on this one so I'm guessing it hasn't been tampered with. Is there a chance it's still a disk drive failure? We've done disk drive replacements before but they don't usually act like this.

2. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina

Germany
    Not having the HB Channel doesn't mean it has not been modified. So many people try something out and randomly start deleting things, use factory reset ("Format System Memory") hoping it will magically undo any modification or even damage and end up with barely usable devices.

I've no idea what hardware problem could cause the described symptoms. I've seen (or better heard) act a Wii pretty mad when there was some garbage inside the drive but it went to the infamous non-helpful "An error has occurred"-screen.

To see if cIOS are installed (or some IOS missing) you could run Syscheck.

If you're a repair technician and used to swapping drives in Wii consoles just pop in another, known good, drive and see if the problem persists.

Good luck!

alexander1970 and IC_ like this.
  3. SocialPermaDeath

Newcomer

United States
    We called the customer, and the Wii hasn't been modified in any way (according to him and seeing as it's his mom's Wii I have faith he's telling the truth) so we're going to go ahead an order the disk drive and try that to see if it clears up. The Wii's pretty old and also looks to be due for a cleaning so I'll try dusting everything out once it's been taken apart. I'll try to update here whether that fixes the issues we've been having and if it doesn't, then I'll ask for permission to run a SysCheck since my manager's pretty anxious about adding software to customers devices that he isn't familiar with and will likely only agree to it as a last resort.

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  4. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina

Germany
    More important than an old Wii itself might be the data stored on it. As safety precaution I would backup all save data as soon as possible (an unmodified Wii will not allow backing up saves of games that had online functions like Mario Kart).

It might have been wrong to assume the Wii is modified. Dealing only with CFW and homebrew for years makes it feel like the most normal thing in the world (and many cries for help come because of careless users deleting random things).

I very much understand your manager and that a company may not triffle with customer's devices (and modify the software in a way not intended by the manufacturer).
    Good news though: I was able to start Syscheck HDE without installing anything to a complete "virgin" Wii – everything related to non-official software only lived in RAM for this test. I renamed boot.dol from WiiXplorer package to boot.elf and used the Letterbomb exploit according to https://wii.guide/letterbomb – not with the HackMiiInstaller but with WiiXplorer as boot.elf in the root of the SD (and Syscheck in SD:/apps/Syscheck). It took a while, but WiiXplorer loaded from the exploit and was able to launch Syscheck which worked flawlessly (Syscheck did not work directly from the exploit).
    SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition von JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, und Nano
    ...laeuft auf dem IOS80 (rev 6944).

Region: PAL
    Systemmenue 4.3E (v514)

Das Laufwerksdatum konnte nicht erkannt werden
    Homebrewkanal ist nicht installiert

Hollywood v0x21
    Konsolen-ID: 139418717
    Konsolentyp: Wii
    Shop-Kanal-Land: Germany (78)
    Boot2 v4
    Es wurden 68 Titel gefunden.
    Es wurden 47 IOS gefunden, von denen 18 funktionslos (Stub) sind.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS4 (rev 65280): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS9 (rev 1034): Keine Patches
    IOS10 (rev 768): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS11 (rev 256): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS12 (rev 526): Keine Patches
    IOS13 (rev 1032): Keine Patches
    IOS14 (rev 1032): Keine Patches
    IOS15 (rev 1032): Keine Patches
    IOS16 (rev 512): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS17 (rev 1032): Keine Patches
    IOS20 (rev 256): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS21 (rev 1039): Keine Patches
    IOS22 (rev 1294): Keine Patches
    IOS28 (rev 1807): Keine Patches
    IOS30 (rev 2816): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS31 (rev 3608): Keine Patches
    IOS33 (rev 3608): Keine Patches
    IOS34 (rev 3608): Keine Patches
    IOS35 (rev 3608): Keine Patches
    IOS36 (rev 3608): Keine Patches
    IOS37 (rev 5663): Keine Patches
    IOS38 (rev 4124): Keine Patches
    IOS40 (rev 3072): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS41 (rev 3607): Keine Patches
    IOS43 (rev 3607): Keine Patches
    IOS45 (rev 3607): Keine Patches
    IOS46 (rev 3607): Keine Patches
    IOS48 (rev 4124): Keine Patches
    IOS50 (rev 5120): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS51 (rev 4864): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS52 (rev 5888): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS53 (rev 5663): Keine Patches
    IOS55 (rev 5663): Keine Patches
    IOS56 (rev 5662): Keine Patches
    IOS57 (rev 5919): Keine Patches
    IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
    IOS60 (rev 6400): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS61 (rev 5662): Keine Patches
    IOS62 (rev 6430): Keine Patches
    IOS70 (rev 6912): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS80 (rev 6944): Keine Patches
    IOS222 (rev 65280): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS223 (rev 65280): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS249 (rev 65280): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS250 (rev 65280): Funktionslos (Stub)
    IOS254 (rev 65280): Funktionslos (Stub)
    BC v6
    MIOS v10
    Bericht wurde am 12.01.2021 generiert.

It would be really interesting to hear what is wrong with this console. Good luck with the repair!

alexander1970 and IC_ like this.
  5. SocialPermaDeath

Newcomer

United States
    UPDATE, ISSUE SOLVED

Just to update this thread for people who encounter this problem in the future, once the dust was cleaned out of the exhaust, the problem of the Wii resetting after trying to read a disk stopped but it still couldn't read disks consistently so we went ahead and replaced the old disk drive with a new one. After the repair, the Wii was back to a functional state with no issues during testing. It read several scuffed up disks back to back and loaded the games in an appropriate time without any hiccups.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Restarts, Trying, Disks