Hacking Wii-repo Almost launching...

sznaps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, Wii-Repo is almost done! We have ftp servers up and our irc channel setup.

The detail on how Wii-Repo will work is pretty simple. If anyone ever used Xbins back with the original xbox, it's very similar. You must first join the channel, and then use a trigger message where then the bot will send you login details to the server. These details will only last a minimal amount of time and might need to be renewed a lot, but this is to keep leaching and unidentified access.

I am looking for some developers (or any volunteers) to assist me with getting the file database completely up-to-date with as many releases and version as possible. Simply I cannot do it myself! I am also in need of a website design. We are going to take the same approach as xbins.org to list new releases of software and also we are looking to give developers a quick way to upload these files without any issue. (Most likely each developer will get ftp access)

If you would like to volunteer or become a partnered developer send me a PM. Let's get this cracking!

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
except thaT HBB does not host applications which we are talking about here
wink.gif

I guess it's mostly aimed at warez app such usb loader or backup launchers, crapii packs and so on

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
It sounds cool and all, but I think I'd stick to downloading through rapidshare/mediafire/etc links rather than having to fire up IRC to get an temporary auth to a site. It seems like a little too much fuss for me.

Good luck, though
smile.gif

nicman000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
McHaggis said:
It sounds cool and all, but I think I'd stick to downloading through rapidshare/mediafire/etc links rather than having to fire up IRC to get an temporary auth to a site. It seems like a little too much fuss for me.

Good luck, though
smile.gif

The whole point is to avoid those kind of sites and get decent speeds as well.

Kosaic

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are there any Wii "mod" apps that are big enough to worry about download speeds ?

I've always gotten what I needed, in seconds.

Sounds like a waste to me.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
nicman000 said:
The whole point is to avoid those kind of sites and get decent speeds as well.

Whilst I'm not exactly the world's biggest fan of these sites, for a tiny homebrew app that is downloaded in a few seconds (with a maximum wait time of 1 minute on some of these sites) I really can't see what the fuss is. Compare this with the task of firing up IRC, for those of us who aren't on it constantly, connecting to the server, joining the channel, messaging the bot, loading the website, copying pasting login auth details into the website, finding said homebrew app and finally clicking the download link. Is it really worth it? I probably haven't downloaded the file any quicker but I've had to go to an awful lot of trouble just to get it.

Most leech protecting sites check the HTTP referrer header so they aren't inconveniencing their visitors. Maybe I just don't understand what extra protection an IRC bot will give you.

McH

InfernoZeus

Trophies
Website
radakan.org
XP
Country
sznaps said:
If you would like to volunteer or become a partnered developer send me a PM. Let's get this cracking!
Sounds like a great idea, I don't think I have the skill to help design the site/system or anything, but I'd be more than willing to help keep it up to date when it's ready. Just PM me...

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a good idea, but what about us that don't use IRC at all? (I am one such person...). Will there be a website i can visit to generate said details to log on? Or an email address i can simply mail?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is a great idea, and one-click automated IRC connectors are really easy to throw together.....my xbins connection was one-click, since I can't stand IRC, but xbins is fantastic.
it would be even more primo if it hosted legit IOS and sysmenu variations, themes, the bigger files, etc, as it makes more sense and is why xbins had to be like that...it wasnt the small hb apps that necessitated xbins, it was the leaked SDK and the Clean install (slayers) disc, dashboard (Themes) etc.

Posts merged

it is a great idea, and one-click automated IRC connectors are really easy to throw together.....my xbins connection was one-click, since I can't stand IRC, but xbins is fantastic.
it would be even more primo if it hosted legit IOS and sysmenu variations, themes, the bigger files, etc, as it makes more sense and is why xbins had to be like that...it wasnt the small hb apps that necessitated xbins, it was the leaked SDK and the Clean install (slayers) disc, dashboard (Themes) etc.

sznaps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At start we won't be allowing IOS on the ftp. We aren't sure what nintendo's reaction is going to be.

But on another note, we are also trying to make this into a way for more information to be available for apps. We'd like to have project homepages for developers so they can post info, and have a bug list, to keep track of bugs and progress. As well as a release announcement on the frontpage of wii-repo.com, which all developers will have access to post to. I know the forums are cool and all, but the forums is about discussing multiple different things about the actual wii, not just constantly the release of new wii homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a