megatron_lives

OP
Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
Hi guys.

in installing my wiikey, one of the plates on the PCB of the Wii came off, due to excess heat I guess.
Anyway, I'm just checking if anyone knows of somewhere that could repair this and maybe also finish the installation, within the UK?

Or would anyone have any suggestions of what to do. I still have the Wiikey connected by wires to all the other 5 plates on the PCB - the plate that has been removed is listed as number 4 on the installation diagram at
http://www.wiikey.cn/images/installWiiKey.pdf

By the way I didn't install it, by dad insisted and spent forever cocking it up (bad eye sight!)

Thanks in advance

Peace

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Ohh nasty.

It can be traced back to a chip. I can have a go for you if you like, shouldnt be a problem to get working again.

Call it £15 including postage and ill get it sorted for you.

I am assuming on the others are soldered on fine though.

email or pm me [email protected]

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All that is required is to solder to the leg of the Wiikey's chip.
This should be the spot here:
wkr2.JPG

Just maybe get someone other than your dad to do it
wink.gif

**EDIT**

OK I re-read your post and it seems that I got it wrong and it's the Wii (not the WiiKey) that has the pad lifted.
Same procedure although definitely trickier than the WiiKey to repair.
Here is where you nee to solder to:
wk.JPG

Check the leg in the picture goes to your (missing) point on the Wii and then solder the wire from the WiiKey to it.

If you are not what you would consider "pretty good" at soldering then I would get someone who is to do it for you.
I reckon I'm pretty bloody good but I still find it a little tricky to solder directly to those legs, you need the right equipment so ask back if you are unsure.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah its the pad on the dvd drive not the wiikey.

Have advised him further, apparently more pads have also came off.
Well just make sure he steps AWAY FROM THE SOLDERING IRON!

I can understand someone stuffing up one pad but multiple!? What was he thinking "oh well I stuffed that one up.. and that one, well third times a cha.. uh, next one for sure!"

You'll need to get it repaired by someone with experience. Soldering to multiple legs of the DVD drive chip is a fairly difficult job if you are inexperienced and/or don't have the proper tools.

Call in the experts and give your dad the bill.

megatron_lives

OP
Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Well just make sure he steps AWAY FROM THE SOLDERING IRON!

I can understand someone stuffing up one pad but multiple!? What was he thinking "oh well I stuffed that one up.. and that one, well third times a cha.. uh, next one for sure!"

You'll need to get it repaired by someone with experience. Soldering to multiple legs of the DVD drive chip is a fairly difficult job if you are inexperienced and/or don't have the proper tools.

Call in the experts and give your dad the bill.

Wait a minute get, your facts straight mate and look at my original post - "in installing my wiikey, one of the plates on the PCB of the Wii came off" One only buddy, after that we did logically stop! Thanks for your useful post!

Thanks to Redsquirrel for the advice; I'm getting it sorted.

I guess this may help other people who have had what I understand is a commom problem with pads comming off.

But if not a mod can close this post/thread.

Cheers

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wait a minute get, your facts straight mate and look at my original post - "in installing my wiikey, one of the plates on the PCB of the Wii came off" One only buddy, after that we did logically stop! Thanks for your useful post!

Thanks to Redsquirrel for the advice; I'm getting it sorted.

I guess this may help other people who have had what I understand is a commom problem with pads comming off.

But if not a mod can close this post/thread.

Cheers
I'm sorry if I got my facts wrong but I was taking note of what Redsquirrel said as well
yeah its the pad on the dvd drive not the wiikey.

Have advised him further, apparently more pads have also came off.
So if someone has the facts wrong don't bitch at me I was only trying to help!
This is a common problem among people who are inexperienced with soldering, I provided the best advice I could.
Again I can only apologise for taking someone else's word instead of your own. That someone else that you thanked for help.You know I took the time out to edit and upload some pictures to help you and others with this 'common problem'.

Sheesh!, maybe I should just not help out when people ask for advice with their problems. Or perhaps just not expect any gratitude at least.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I hope you get it fixed. Sorry if I came off a bit rude but that last post got my back up. It's 4 in the morning here and I need some sleep.

megatron_lives

OP
Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
Did come off a bit rude man, but hey I don't want a fight. In fact my post to ya was suppost to be sarcastic I guess, and i guess it was a bit rude too. I'm stressed out with writting my dissertation and this failed mod chip install was the last thing i needed.

Anyway, get some sleep buddy - I'll do the same then tomorrow will hopefully be a better day!

Thanks for your help as well - I am grateful for all replies

Peace
nyanya.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse