Wii read/write speeds

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by imgod22222, Nov 27, 2006.

Nov 27, 2006

Wii read/write speeds by imgod22222 at 10:07 PM (1,113 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    The Nintendo Wii uses regular DVD media for its games. A few questions about the Wii's media. Is the Wii compatible with dual-layer DVD game discs, which enable ROMs to be approx 7.5GB? What does the Wii use as memory cards (if it uses memory cards, I'm guessing it uses SD cards but i'm not sure. Then again the discs may be DVD-RAM since I don't know) Since the Wii uses regular DVD media, what are the read speeds (and write speeds if applicable) of the Wii? x2 like regular DVD players or faster x8 or x16 drives? Also what are the read/write speeds of the SD card slot of the Wii? Thanx for any/all responses.

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    The Wii doesn't use standard DVDs, although they are based upon DVDs and can have dual-layers for upto 8.5GB of space.
    The speed of the drive is unknown at this point.
    It uses internal flash memory (512MB) and SD cards (upto 2GB) for storage and the maximum speed is unknown at this point aswell.

3. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    :'(
    How do they differ from standard DVDs? Different file system, what?
    Having dual-layer sized ROMS would suck... but that's something to be unveiled in the future.

4. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    Probably in most of the same ways that the GC disc differs from a standard DVD.