Gaming Wii randomly freezes with specific games

karte34123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
i was thinking that too but like, resident evil 4 is on the same usb and it works just fine

edit oml

i just realized resident evil 4 was already turned into a wbfs file when i got it, maybe the other games got corrupted while turning into wbfs? ill try getting a mario galaxy copy thats already on like wbfs

Last edited by karte34123,

karte34123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
didnt really work, also oml i shouldve mentioned this and idk how i forgot bout it but the disc drive on this wii is also broken, since the old owner gave it to me like that, after looking for a bit i found out that the disc drive also seemed to like cause this problem for a bunch of people but it seems that their wiis froze no matter what game they were playing even if they were gamecube games

karte34123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
so after a while turns out the solution was pretty dumb, i dont think my wii is compatible with ntsc games? re4 was pal and now i just got a pal copy of mario galaxy and that fixed it, its been 2 hours and not a single freeze, i fr cant believe i didnt thought of that, anyways thanks for the help yall were really helpful, im new into this community and its super cool to see that everyones super helpful

Reactions: jeannotte

karte34123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
nvm spoke too soon, games like mario galaxy work and all but it seems more taxing games like skyward sword still freeze and now i got no clue why, this is so annoying and i thought it already got fixed

LaviStardust

Trophies
XP
Country
France
this may be necroing but this could help someone: a game can freeze if the usb key disconnects and reconnects from time to time
a bad usb key will do that periodically, which will freeze your game if it tries to load something while the key is disconnected

AndroSynth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll add to the number of possible issues with what happened to me. It turns out the USB HDD I had plugged in was putting itself in 'sleep' powersaving mode. When this happened and the game tried to read from USB it would error out (My rough detective work says). The difficult part in diagnosing this issue is the the problem is intermittent and seems to fit into one of three options,
  • Game always crashes after a short period.
  • Game works fine always.
  • Game sometimes works fine but sometimes crashes too. (Often crashes after period of inactivity or when saving/loading)
I believe the reason for the different behaviors lies with how the different games read from the HDD and thus are keeping it in an active state. The games that keep the drive active don't crash, the ones that let the drive sleep crash. If possible you should try to test with another USB Device or SD Card to make sure this is the actual issue.

Now as for solutions. You can look into disabling the sleep feature on your USB HDD, I was unable to get this to work on my model. The next solution is to simply replace your current device with one that works correctly, I used the USB_Devices_Compatibility_List on GBAtemp to find one that looked good. Ever since I made that change I haven't had the usual crashes I used to. I still have some issues very rarely with crashes but I chalk that up to running things that are a bit hacked up.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll add to the number of possible issues with what happened to me. It turns out the USB HDD I had plugged in was putting itself in 'sleep' powersaving mode. When this happened and the game tried to read from USB it would error out (My rough detective work says). The difficult part in diagnosing this issue is the the problem is intermittent and seems to fit into one of three options,
  • Game always crashes after a short period.
  • Game works fine always.
  • Game sometimes works fine but sometimes crashes too. (Often crashes after period of inactivity or when saving/loading)
I believe the reason for the different behaviors lies with how the different games read from the HDD and thus are keeping it in an active state. The games that keep the drive active don't crash, the ones that let the drive sleep crash. If possible you should try to test with another USB Device or SD Card to make sure this is the actual issue.

Now as for solutions. You can look into disabling the sleep feature on your USB HDD, I was unable to get this to work on my model. The next solution is to simply replace your current device with one that works correctly, I used the USB_Devices_Compatibility_List on GBAtemp to find one that looked good. Ever since I made that change I haven't had the usual crashes I used to. I still have some issues very rarely with crashes but I chalk that up to running things that are a bit hacked up.
Never heard of a such issue. Interesting..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs