Wii programming

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by D4rkW0rld, Jul 15, 2008.

1. D4rkW0rld
    OP

D4rkW0rld Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2008
    United States
    Spain
    I will try to make a program in Wii, but i don't know in what language i need to write my applications and what i need.
    I make programs with Visual Basic .Net (.net framework)

2. killplaystation

killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2008
    United States
    then you're pretty much all set, it's not WAY more advanced than visual basic [​IMG]

3. arctic_flame

arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

Nov 4, 2006
    England land
    You need devkitPPC + libOGC.
    They come as part of devkitPro. (Google devkitpro)

Apps are written in C(++)
    It will be a step up if you're used to VB, though.

4. D4rkW0rld
    OP

D4rkW0rld Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2008
    United States
    Spain
    Thanks! [​IMG]

5. linkinworm

linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2008
    Birmingham (England)
    PPC is slightly different from VB in a lot of ways you should read up on codeing for wii to learn all the IOS commands n such.

6. WiiCrazy

WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

May 8, 2008
    Istanbul
    If you don't have any C experience you can make it easy first switching to C# so that you can get familiar with the syntax of C. Then you can do some unmanaged C in .net and then the wii. Beware when coding for wii you'll probably not have debugging unless you owned a usbgecko. You can do the transition from C# to C++ if you are good at object oriented programming yet most of the examples for wii out there in pure C. Few use the C++.

7. teq

teq GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2008
    United States
    DevKitPro has a Hello World example that you can start off with.

8. WB3000

WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 5, 2007
    United States
    Agreed. All of the .NET languages are pretty much used the same, so you can get good comparisons when going from VB to C#. I started with VB, but now I've switched to doing everything in C#.

9. WiiCrazy

WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

May 8, 2008
    Istanbul
    It's possible to fluctuate between languages if you know the principles [​IMG] I started with the commodore basic, then it became a long path, though only few of them I used to get paid (just a few months for c coding, done lots of vbscript namely asp now getting paid for coding in c#)
    the correct path much like this
    c64 basic -> 6502 assembly -> Pascal(ceased) -> x86 assembly (ceased) -> C (ceased)-> (fortran/pl1/rexx only for a period of time) -> vbscript -> java(ceased) -> c#
    now back to C again [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice