Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
184.jpg

Following up on last month's rumor of a Wii price drop to $149.99 in May, a new report suggests that a price drop is indeed coming at some point this month along with a budget line of titles for the system.

Since word came out of the new $149.99 price, numerous retailers have slashed the console's price to $169.99. Citing retail sources, Kotaku says Wii's price will be officially dropped to $149.99 in the next few weeks.

For the budget-minded consumer, it'll be joined by a budget line of games for $19.99. Nintendo World Report has secured what it claims is box art for the first four budget titles -- Animal Crossing: City Folk, Wii Sports, Mario Super Sluggers, and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess -- which will be referred to as "Nintendo Selects." Kotaku, on the other hand, said the launch titles would include Twilight Princess, Super Sluggers, Wii Sports, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the latter of which might simply have not been pictured and could very well end up a part of the lineup.

Wii Sports being sold separately opens the door for Nintendo to begin packaging Mario Kart Wii in with new consoles, as was rumored last month.

Nintendo has yet to say anything officially but it did recently confirm reports of a Wii successor it has in the works for 2012. More details on that will be coming at E3 in June. The combination of announcing a new console and declining sales are basically a guarantee that a price drop will come. Assuming the reports are correct, the company should be announcing the new, lower price before long.
[/p]

Source

I guess now is the best time to get a Wii if you want one. The system's cheaper and now the games are cheaper too.

EDIT: Confirmed for Europe too:

The rumoured Wii price cut and budget Wii games range has this morning been confirmed by Nintendo.

From 20th May in Europe (and 15th May in the US), the price of a Wii console bundle (with either Mario Kart Wii & Wii Wheel or Wii Sports Resort & Wii Sports) will drop to £129.99 ($149.99).

On the same day, Nintendo will introduce a Nintendo Selects budget-price Wii game range. Titles cost £19.99 ($19.99).

The initial line-up varies slightly in the US and Europe. In Europe the first Nintendo Selects games are Wii Sports, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Mario Strikers Charged Football and Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City.

In the US, the first Nintendo Selects games are The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City, Mario Super Sluggers and Wii Sports.

The Mario Kart Wii console bundle packs a white Wii, Wiimote Plus, nunchuk, Wii Wheel and Mario Kart game.

The Wii Sports Resort console bundle packs a black Wii, Wiimote Plus, nunchuck and copy of Wii Sports Resort and Wii Sports (on the same disc).
[/p]

Source

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It's time, Wii. Your life is about to end in a year, it's time to explode into the world. May the force be with you.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I already have a wii and so does my girl, but I paid 130$ for mine used. Knowing I could get a brand new one for 150 + tax makes me wish we just waited, haha. This is pretty cool, though.

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
sonknuck23 said:
I already have a wii and so does my girl, but I paid 130$ for mine used. Knowing I could get a brand new one for 150 + tax makes me wish we just waited, haha. This is pretty cool, though.

I hate to bitch, but I paid 250 euros for mine last December.
tongue.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What is the point of a budget release of a game included with every single Wii sold?

EDIT: Never mind, didn't read. But I think Wii Sports is a much better packaged game than Mario Kart, Mario Kart is much less instantly playable IMO.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
What is the point of a budget release of a game included with every single Wii sold?

EDIT: Never mind, didn't read. But I think Wii Sports is a much better packaged game than Mario Kart, Mario Kart is much less instantly playable IMO.

TBH, Wii Sports is a total fluff game and is really just a bad tech demo of the system. There's not a lot to do there over any other sports game. Mario Kart at least has plenty of tracks, fun multiplayer, and one of the better online modes for the system (hackers or not).

Hydreigon

Isn't that DELICIOUS!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Damn, I bought one two days before they announced the price drop. I knew I should have waited to buy the Wii.

IMO Mario Kart would be better as a game included with each Wii. It has a high replay value, and a fun online multiplayer mode (even though there are hackers to ruin it)
unsure.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MK is undeniably a much better game, but for the game packaged with the system, I think something like Wii Sports which shows off the various control options well is better. Meh.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
More than 4 years after launch Zelda TP gets a price cut.

I REALLY miss the player's choice era. And the wii's price cut is disappointing, wii's right price is around 100~130$

fishykipper

pkmn breeder
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Was just reading this news on another site.
Amazing news in my opinion, cheap games are a bonus! But lets be fair everyone hacks their wii's for the HDD Games.

So a nice cheap system and a 1tb HDD are easily affordable for $200.00. Creating hours and hours of fun.
Good move nintendo.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Slyakin said:
I'm surprised that Nintendo is only NOW doing this; Didn't they do the Player's Choice games for the GC about 2 years into launch?

Yes, that's why I miss them.

But since wii sells old games well even at 50$, they find no reason to drop the price.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duh, it's coming to the end of it's lifespan. Not that I'm not interested in picking up some games I couldn't be assed to buy, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.