Wii Power Supply

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Leach, Jun 14, 2011.

Jun 14, 2011

Wii Power Supply by Leach at 12:19 AM (1,281 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Leach
    OP

Newcomer Leach Advanced Member

Bulgaria
    Hello everybody. [​IMG]
    Yep, you guessed it - power shortage. It was actually a storm but nevermind.
    I unplugged all my consoles, PC, etc. After the storm was gone I plugged everything in. My Wii and PAL N64 wouldn't start.
    It's easy with the N64, since I have two of them (PAL and NTSC) and could try with a different power supply. It works with the other one, so that's one fried power supply for me.
    With the Wii however, things are different, I have only one. A similar thing happened to me some time ago and everything was fine and dandy after leaving the power supply unplugged from both socket and the console for a few minutes. No such luck this time. I'm assuming (HOPING) that it's the fuse and not my console.

So, any advices? Wii power units are pretty easy to come by, not to mention cheap. Fuses are even cheaper. But what about my poor N64? Any guides for disassembling the unit and changing the fuse, or am I better off buying a new one?

P.S. Advices on protecting my stuff from such mishaps? I can't unplug everything every time I go out...

2. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    my advice is to invest into a powerboard with a surge protector in it. only thing you can do is buy another BRICK on ebay.

3. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    This has happened to me a few times before. Freaked me out the first time.

You need to unplug EVERYTHING from the console, not just the power supply. Remove the SD card, the sensor bar, any USB devices, the AV cables, and the power cord. Also unplug the power cord from the wall. Wait 15 minutes. Plug the power cord in, but nothing else. Turn the Wii on, then off. Plug everything else back in, and it should work fine.

4. Leach
    OP

Bulgaria
    Left everything unplugged for the night. Everything. No luck though. :/

5. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Yeah, It has to be the power brick. Sadly you have to shell out some hard cash for another from Gamestop, or wait in agony as one from Ebay arrives.

6. Bladexdsl

Australia
  7. Spongeroberto

Member Spongeroberto GBAtemp Regular

Bhutan
  8. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    WTF? The shipping is more than the product itself [​IMG] ! If I got that, my wallet would be in agony!

9. Leach
    OP

Bulgaria
  10. Bladexdsl

Australia
    ordering from china is like playing Russian roulette cos half their time their knockoffs

11. Leach
    OP

Bulgaria
    Yep, I wouldn't buy my power supply from there, just giving example. Thing that worries me is that the ones from UK don't look very "genuine" either.
    Anyway the thing is about to be opened and the fuse inside checked. Will report afterwards.

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I will have to look it up but a while back I was involved in a discussion about the wii power supply (powering a hard drive or something). From what I recall the voltages and current requirements could just as easily be done with a PC power supply (find an old garaged machine and rip it out of one of those) and those are really easy to adapt into supplies for other things and your dead one can supply the parts.

You might even be able to fix the wii supply but this is heading into the realms of proper electronics and although it is not that troubling for someone versed in it you might not fancy it.

edit: not the link I was thinking of but should be just as good
    http://gbatemp.net/t220554-bricked-by-power-surge