Wii POC Linux 0.4

teonintyfive

Trophies
Website
ispeelgood.trap17.com
XP
Country
Greece
A GUI would be godly. Imagine half-life on the wii running with wine.

I'm just wishing...

edit:
Requirements:

Linux said:
about 233MHz with 48MB ram

Half-Life said:
* Pentium 133 MHz
* 24 MB RAM
* Windows 95/98/NT4
* SVGA video card
* Windows-compatible sound card
* 2x CD-ROM drive
* 400 MB hard-disk space.

Wii Specs
Processors:

* CPU: 729MHz PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor made with a 90nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.
* GPU: 243MHz ATI "Hollywood" processor.

Memory
* 88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)[62]
* 3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.

Expandable memory up to 2GB

That's good...

methodone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
metroid_phobia said:
teonintyfive said:

I'm just wishing...

never going to happen.

i agree. wine needs an x86 cpu. you'd have to emulate an x86 which would totally kill the speed. now if half life were open source, it's likely it could be ported (there was an official port to dreamcast that got canned, so we know the wii is definitely capable of it). but i say you should just stick to quake
tongue.gif

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
INTERNETS said:
metroid_phobia said:
teonintyfive said:

I'm just wishing...

never going to happen.

Anything can happen... if you just believe in yourself.

give it up mate.

QUOTE(methodone @ Apr 15 2008, 12:06 AM)
wine needs an x86 cpu. you'd have to emulate an x86 which would totally kill the speed. now if half life were open source, it's likely it could be ported (there was an official port to dreamcast that got canned, so we know the wii is definitely capable of it). but i say you should just stick to quake
tongue.gif

st0nedpenguin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
methodone said:
i agree. wine needs an x86 cpu. you'd have to emulate an x86 which would totally kill the speed. now if half life were open source, it's likely it could be ported (there was an official port to dreamcast that got canned, so we know the wii is definitely capable of it). but i say you should just stick to quake
tongue.gif

Weird, I've had Wine running on a whole bunch of different architectures.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
methodone said:
tongue.gif

That's not how WINE works. Tell me what it stands for again?

QUOTE(Hit @ Apr 14 2008, 03:27 PM) If only they made a GUI working like Ubuntu

Don't get me started. All of the ubuntu nubs have a grand idea of what Linux is, which is all wrong.

Firstly, it's not a "GUI like ubuntu" Ubuntu runs GNOME by default, although it's other distributions use Xfce and KDE. However, there's nothing to stop you using Fluxbox, Icewm, or similar.

If X-Windows got ported to Wii-linux, then they wouldn't be using GNOME, it's too bloated. Also, they barely understand the extra hardware not present in GC mode yet. Don't get your hopes up, go back to your Ubuntu PC.

teonintyfive

Trophies
Website
ispeelgood.trap17.com
XP
Country
Greece
metroid_phobia said:
teonintyfive said:

I'm just wishing...

never going to happen.
That's why I said "I'm just wishing".
The other is useless blabber.

Everyone hopes that in november (HalfLife 10 year anniversary) valve will make it open source... just imagine!

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
arctic_flame said:
methodone said:
tongue.gif

That's not how WINE works. Tell me what it stands for again?

QUOTE(Hit @ Apr 14 2008, 03:27 PM) If only they made a GUI working like Ubuntu

Don't get me started. All of the ubuntu nubs have a grand idea of what Linux is, which is all wrong.

Firstly, it's not a "GUI like ubuntu" Ubuntu runs GNOME by default, although it's other distributions use Xfce and KDE. However, there's nothing to stop you using Fluxbox, Icewm, or similar.

If X-Windows got ported to Wii-linux, then they wouldn't be using GNOME, it's too bloated. Also, they barely understand the extra hardware not present in GC mode yet. Don't get your hopes up, go back to your Ubuntu PC.

There's not really an alternative to X-windows; And There were GUIs for "weaker" machines at the time which used it. Of course, this doesn't make it any easier, and Wii Linux is definitely at least a long way away from being "wii ubuntu"; But, well, breakthroughs happen, or they wouldn't be called like that. No harm in wishing for it to happen.

EDIT : and shit, why settle with WINE? Go overkill, install VMWare, add some bloat and you have a machine running at *perfect* speed for win95 games
tongue.gif
(while we're wishing, I also want ten billion euros)

methodone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
st0nedpenguin said:
methodone said:
tongue.gif

Weird, I've had Wine running on a whole bunch of different architectures.

I didn't say it couldn't run on other arch...just that you'll have to emulate the x86 cpu to do it. AFAIK the only way to run wine on say PPC or sparc or what have you is to use something like qemu alongside wine. Which like I said, will kill the speed. lrn2read n00b
tongue.gif

st0nedpenguin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't help but think you're getting Wine mixed up with VM software.

Wine is a compatibility layer to allow Windows applications to run under *nix, it's not emulating x86 hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1